What's new

Turkey and Pakistan: a special relationship

Morpheus

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Turkey and Pakistan: a special relationship

Over recent years, Turkey and Pakistan have strengthened their diplomatic and military ties. Marisa Lino argues that understanding this 'special relationship' may help the West improve its own relations with both Pakistan and Turkey.
What defines a ‘special relationship’ between two countries? Certainly, most would agree it includes common goals and an aligned vision of foreign policy; some would add that historical ties and common adversaries are a necessary part of the equation.

In the case of Turkey and Pakistan, the recent discussion of an agreement to grant dual citizenship to Turks and Pakistanis – which may or may not ever come to fruition – is definitely a sign of a special relationship. In addition, Pakistan had announced plans to celebrate in 2020 the centenary of the Khilafat movement of the 1920s. According to Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, this movement, started on the Indian subcontinent in support of the Ottoman Empire, is a thread of common history that binds the two countries together. Notably, the Turkish ambassador to Pakistan declared recently that the Turkish consulate under construction in Karachi, Pakistan, would be Turkey’s largest consulate anywhere in the world, symbolising the importance of Turkish–Pakistani ties.

With all the challenges in Turkey’s relationship with Europe and the US, considering the immigration issues arising from the Syrian civil war and especially in the aftermath of the failed coup attempt in the summer of 2016, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has continued to look elsewhere for support, since, apparently, he has felt somewhat abandoned by the West.

In Pakistan, a fellow Islamic country, he found the sustenance he needed. Then-Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was the first foreign leader to contact Erdogan in the wake of the failed coup and pledge assistance. Erdogan has not forgotten what he surely considers a key lifeline at a critical juncture, and he has shown his gratitude by intensifying the bilateral relationship. Erdogan has visited Pakistan four times in an official capacity during his years as prime minister and now president; Khan, meanwhile, who has been in office a much shorter period of time, has visited Turkey once as well.

Most recently, Erdogan visited Pakistan in mid-February to participate in the sixth round of the Pakistan–Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council. He took a large delegation of ministers, investors and business representatives with him. In addition to the normal high-level meetings and discussions, Erdogan addressed the parliament in Islamabad, for a record fourth time, according to Asad Qaisar, the speaker of Pakistan’s National Assembly.

Defence ties

What is perhaps of greater interest are the burgeoning defence ties between the two nations. Turkish official sources said one of the primary purposes of the February visit was to ‘further synchronise military relations.’

The military-to-military relationship is exemplified by the armed forces training exchange programme, which was inaugurated in 2000. Since the programme began, approximately 1,500 Pakistani military officers have been trained in Turkey. Turkey also helps maintain Pakistan’s fleet of F-16 aircraft.

Bilateral defence and security cooperation was boosted with significant defence deals in 2018, and these days Turkey is Pakistan’s second-biggest arms supplier after China. For example, in October 2018, the Pakistan Navy commissioned a 17,000-tonne fleet tanker, built in collaboration with Turkish defence company STM in the southern port city of Karachi. It was the largest warship ever constructed in the Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works, according to Pakistani military sources. Turkey is also upgrading three Pakistani submarines.

In July 2018, Turkey won a multibillion-dollar tender to supply four corvettes to the Pakistan Navy – which then-defence minister Nurettin Canikli said was the largest contract ever granted to the Turkish defence industry. In 2016, Turkey gave 34 T-37 aircraft (with spares) to Pakistan. Turkey also agreed to purchase MFI-17 Super Mushshak trainer aircraft from Pakistan. New military training programmes are also being planned.

What does this mean for the West?

Turkey’s foreign-policy high-wire act, seeking to balance its foreign policy approach between East and West – with Europe and the US on the one hand, and Russia and China on the other – as exemplified in the broadening Syria conflict, merits a much more extensive analysis. Russia’s military and economic goals, as well as China’s efforts to tie countries together with its Belt and Road Initiative and its China–Pakistan Economic Corridor, would all need to be taken into account. Turkey’s support of Pakistan in the Kashmir conundrum brings India into the picture as well – and Turkey has also backed Pakistan in the Nuclear Suppliers Group and on financial issues.

Saudi Arabia’s relations with Turkey and Pakistan also play a major role in deconstructing the Turkey–Pakistan special relationship, how it fits into regional geopolitics and what impact it might have going forward. For Turkey, its declining relations with Saudi Arabia predate the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Its support of the Muslim Brotherhood government in Egypt, as well as differences over the approach to Libya and Qatar, had already contributed to their deterioration. Pakistan has had a symbiotic relationship with the Kingdom, going back decades, in both defence and economic spheres. How Riyadh views the developing ties between Erdogan and Khan, and what impact this will have on respective bilateral relations remains to be seen.

Ankara believes that extending strategic and military ties with Pakistan has helped to increase its influence in Asia and provided new options for its foreign-policy ambitions. It sees the European Union as too inwardly focused, dealing with Brexit and an aggressive Russia, and ignoring Turkey’s claims. Pakistan sees itself as a key player in Afghanistan and as a mediator with Iran, as well as a strategic partner helping Turkey to maintain a balance between the East and West.

Europe has been deeply concerned with the refugee flows coming through Turkey, an issue that has resurfaced recently. Its relations with Pakistan have prioritised cooperation on security and counter-terrorism and trade.

For the West, taking a closer look at the special relationship between Turkey and Pakistan might provide insights towards improving relations with each country. For the US, the focus with Turkey has been on Syria and Russia’s military influence; with Pakistan, it has been the role Pakistan plays in Afghanistan, as well as the interplay with India over Kashmir. Taking an in-depth look at what each country seeks to achieve individually and together could provide a useful analytical tool for Western and US policymakers.

https://www.iiss.org/blogs/analysis/2020/04/dmap-turkey-and-pakistan-a-special-relationship

-------------------------------------

In the case of Turkey and Pakistan, the recent discussion of an agreement to grant dual citizenship to Turks and Pakistanis – which may or may not ever come to fruition – is definitely a sign of a special relationship. In addition, Pakistan had announced plans to celebrate in 2020 the centenary of the Khilafat movement of the 1920s. According to Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, this movement, started on the Indian subcontinent in support of the Ottoman Empire, is a thread of common history that binds the two countries together. Notably, the Turkish ambassador to Pakistan declared recently that the Turkish consulate under construction in Karachi, Pakistan, would be Turkey’s largest consulate anywhere in the world, symbolising the importance of Turkish–Pakistani ties.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting first a few years ago the Chinese built a huge diplomatic compound for their embassy in Islamabad now Turkey is doing the same with a large diplomatic compound or consulate in Karachi hmmm but as for relationship wise I think its 2nd to that of China/GCC and I am quite skeptical regarding this "special relationship" once Erdogan leaves office or power in the near future but neverthless Turkey could be role model for moderation of Pakistani society

just i want you to be sure nobody will remember the Pakistan after erdogan leave the office ..it is Erdogan himself putting speacial effort for Pakistan and few other muslim countries..

Last edited:
Interesting first a few years ago the Chinese built a huge diplomatic compound for their embassy in Islamabad now Turkey is doing the same with a large diplomatic compound or consulate in Karachi hmmm but as for relationship wise I think its 2nd to that of China/GCC and I am quite skeptical regarding this "special relationship" once Erdogan leaves office or power in the near future but neverthless Turkey could be role model for moderation of Pakistani society
just i want you to be sure nobody will remember the Pakistan after erdogan leave the office ..it is Erdogan himself putting speacial effort for Pakistan and few other muslim countries..[/QUOTE]

Yeah Thats what I am basically was saying in the last post

I am doubtful most Turks would care about Pakistan when Erdogan leaves office

just i want you to be sure nobody will remember the Pakistan after erdogan leave the office ..it is Erdogan himself putting speacial effort for Pakistan and few other muslim countries..

I am doubtful most Turks would care about Pakistan when Erdogan leaves office[/QUOTE]yes you are right..human being is getting greedy.. people doesnot want big land kingdom empires but wants good life so it apply Turkey as well.. we will be like good neighboor salam aleykum: alaykum selam:) thats it

Yeah you're probably right about the Kemalists.

I am doubtful most Turks would care about Pakistan when Erdogan leaves office
yes you are right..human being is getting greedy.. people doesnot want big land kingdom empires but wants good life so it apply Turkey as well.. we will be like good neighboor salam aleykum: alaykum selam:) thats it[/QUOTE]

Don't worry we will take care of Turkish brothers after even Erdogan..same as we did in19zz. Stay home and stay safe

Last edited:
Yeah you're probably right about the Kemalists.
yes you are right..human being is getting greedy.. people doesnot want big land kingdom empires but wants good life so it apply Turkey as well.. we will be like good neighboor salam aleykum: alaykum selam:) thats it
[/QUOTE]
Yeah Kemalists,

" A vast majority of Turks are dedicated Muslims and have very good feelings towards Pakistan. In 1965 war, the Prime Minister of Turkey had ordered all the resources of Turkish Armed Forces be placed at the disposal of Pakistan and anything they need must be immediately provided. Since both the armies were equipped with American equipment, planeloads of ammunition and equipment were sent to Pakistan to meet our requirement. Throughout my stay in Turkey, I felt as if I was at home. I with my family travelled throughout the country, and at no stage I ever felt that I was in a foreign land. "

From a 2001 interview with late, Pakistan Army
Major General Tajammul Hussain Malik ( A war hero and only nominee for a live Nishan-e-Haider for the Battle of Hilli during the war of 1971 ). He studied Turkish language in 1963 and later served as a military attache to Turkey from 1966-1969.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/1965...ces-were-placed-at-pakistans-disposal.336258/

Sure,when Erdogan gone everything gone.

Yeah Kemalists,

" A vast majority of Turks are dedicated Muslims and have very good feelings towards Pakistan. In 1965 war, the Prime Minister of Turkey had ordered all the resources of Turkish Armed Forces be placed at the disposal of Pakistan and anything they need must be immediately provided. Since both the armies were equipped with American equipment, planeloads of ammunition and equipment were sent to Pakistan to meet our requirement. Throughout my stay in Turkey, I felt as if I was at home. I with my family travelled throughout the country, and at no stage I ever felt that I was in a foreign land. "

From a 2001 interview with late, Pakistan
Malik ( A war hero and only nominee for a live Nishan-e-Haider for the Battle of Hilli during the war of 1971 ). He studied Turkish language in 1963 and later served as a military attache to Turkey from 1966-1969.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/1965...ces-were-placed-at-pakistans-disposal.336258/

Sure,when Erdogan gone everything gone.[/QUOTE]

A couple months ago I posted a thread about Army Major General Tajammul Hussain interesting you bought him up

Yeah Kemalists,

From a 2001 interview with late, Pakistan
Malik ( A war hero and only nominee for a live Nishan-e-Haider for the Battle of Hilli during the war of 1971 ). He studied Turkish language in 1963 and later served as a military attache to Turkey from 1966-1969.

Sure,when Erdogan gone everything gone.

A couple months ago I posted a thread about Army Major General Tajammul Hussain interesting you bought him up[/QUOTE]
It was always the Kemalist Armed Forces(they pushed the governments in charge) who helped Pakistan and here some idiots claim that it started with Erdogan.

Usually all Islamist politician will put more emphasis on Muslim brotherhood. So it is not about Erdogan or not, but it is whether about Islamist lead coalition (AKP) or Secular lead coalition.

Despite so, secular Nationalist ruling doesnt necessarily move away from Muslim world either. By seeing the politics of Indonesia who also have that divide, Secular Nationalist coalition under Jokowi also have emphasis on Muslim brotherhood like what his administration does in UN for Palestine and Afghanistan peace process.

Jokowi for instant also attend conference in Saudi when Saudi gathered all Muslim nation leader, his foreign minister pressing and lecturing China several time over Uigyur handling, visiting Pakistan/Bangladesh/Turkey and so on. He even stressed about the importance for Muslim to pay attention on Muslim Brotherhood during his speech in Pakistan parliament.

The relation will be kept in warm mode but I believe Kashmir issue will not be handled as like Erdogan handles it.

There is nothing special just good relations for the time being. As soon as Erdogan is gone all good relations will go down the drain just as it happened with Malaysia after Mahatir left the office. Erdogan is the last leader of his kind after him there is no leader who has the will for similar relations with Pakistan. Economic relations will always triumph muslims brotherhoods in current world order. Relations with countries depend on present government and their policy direction not bcz we love each other. Pakistanis need to understand time of Ertgrul, Salah ud din ayubi is gone and no one will come to help us if we ever go to war with India or even those pidi ka shorba afghanis for a matter of fact.

Back
Top Bottom