BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Abu Bakar Siddique

Boro growers struggling with irrigation as India is not releasing enough water

Dhaka Tribune – April 16, 2014

The boro paddy growers in Bangladesh’s north are struggling with irrigation this season because India has been reportedly holding back more water than ever to irrigate an expanded stretch of arable land on the Teesta basin.

These growers are having to resort to expensive extraction of underground water using shallow pumps. Farmers say irrigation with underground water is over 12 times more expensive that irrigation with river water.

Since India installed a barrage at Gajoldoba in West Bengal in 1977, Bangladesh has been getting around 5,000 cubic feet per second (cusec) water on an average during the lean season.

The Teesta Irrigation Project, actively providing irrigation in three northern districts – Nilphamari, Dinajpur and Rangpur – since 1993, requires around 2,000 cusec of water for watering 65,000 hectares of boro land.

But during this boro season, the flow has alarmingly come down to as little as 500 cusec – one-tenth of the usual flow – with which only about 20,000 hectares of land is being cultivated.

That is why, the project authorities have no other option but to do water rationing, which then again is said to be harmful for this particular breed of paddy because it needs constant presence of water.

“Over the last one and a half months, we have been releasing water one at a time for each of the districts. We do not have enough water to meet everyone’s demand [in three districts under the project] simultaneously,” said Sub-Divisional Engineer Moinuddin Mondol, who has been working with the Teesta Irrigation Project for more than 30 years.

Anowarul Alam, deputy director of the Department of Agriculture Extension in Dinajpur, told the Dhaka Tribune that: “The rationing system of irrigation is not a solution because boro paddy requires regular water flow.”

Boro is one of the major crops in Bangladesh, contributing a giant portion of the annual demand for food.

On papers, the Teesta runs along nearly 19.63 lakh hectares of arable on its basin. Of that stretch, 7.49 lakh falls within Bangladesh and the remaining 12.14 lakh in India. Reportedly, India has seldom managed to bring the entire stretch of its land under cultivation during the lean season.

In an interview with BBC Bangla Service on March 14, Rajib Banerjee, minister of irrigation of West Bengal, said the state government had been planning to expand its farmland coverage this season; as a result they would be needing more water for irrigation.

In that interview, he also said since there was no legally binding treaty on sharing Teesta water, it was only logical for India to fulfil its own irrigation demand and then think about releasing water for Bangladesh.

The lives and livelihoods of around ninety lakh people from Nilphamari, Kurigram, Lalmonirhat, Rangpur and Dinajpur districts are directly and indirectly dependent on Teesta water and boro farming.

The boro growers have been for years irrigating their boro land with water from the Teesta project canals that run along their fields. However, this season, many of them had to install shallow pumps to suck up water from underground because the canals have all dried up.

Sultan Ali, a boro grower from the Chirir Bondor Upazila of Dinajpur, shared his predicament with the Dhaka Tribune. “Despite having a canal of the Teesta Irrigation Project right beside my fields, I was forced to set up a shallow pump to irrigate my 2.02 hectares of land,” He said.

“I have to pay around Tk15,000 per hectare from my pocket for irrigating my land with underground water. On the other hand, I pay the government only Tk1,200 per hectare for using water from the project,” Sultan said.

“Most medium and large farmers have already set up shallow pumps because they do not want to risk their investments. But the small growers are turning out to be the worst sufferers because they cannot afford pumps,” said, DAE Deputy Director Anwarul Alam.

He also feared that boro production in the region could suffer a major blow this year because there had been no regular flow of water.

Mir Sajjad Hossain, member of the Joint River Commission, said the situation in the Teesta basin had never been worse.

“This is an unusual situation. On March 9 this year, flow was only 409 cusec – the lowest in history. This is happening because India is unilaterally deciding on the water flow from upstream,” Sajjad said.

“The government of West Bengal might not be interested in the Teesta treaty at all, but we have no other option but to immediately sign a bilateral agreement in this regard,” he suggested.

Toughest time for Teesta farmers | Dhaka Tribune

Read more on India’s water aggression with Bangladesh –

The India Doctrine (1947-2007) | Mohammad Munshi - Academia.edu

its an important issue and as soon it is resolved, the better it will be.
the plight of BD farmers in the teesta river basin is deplorable, but on the other hand, BD cant expect india/WB to let go of the water they need to irrigate their lands.
sooner or later, a treaty has to be carved out or ppl from both the sides (esp BD) wud suffer.

Well isn't thats the plan? No water,no food,no food,dependent BD.dependent BD,money for India.
Is it a rocket science? To understand India and its stunts.
Isn't Nepal a land lock country ,solely depends on India for its bread and butter?

We should start charging them for water, $1 per gallon should suffice :coffee:

Abu Bakar Siddique

Boro growers struggling with irrigation as India is not releasing enough water

Dhaka Tribune – April 16, 2014

The boro paddy growers in Bangladesh’s north are struggling with irrigation this season because India has been reportedly holding back more water than ever to irrigate an expanded stretch of arable land on the Teesta basin.

These growers are having to resort to expensive extraction of underground water using shallow pumps. Farmers say irrigation with underground water is over 12 times more expensive that irrigation with river water.

Since India installed a barrage at Gajoldoba in West Bengal in 1977, Bangladesh has been getting around 5,000 cubic feet per second (cusec) water on an average during the lean season.

The Teesta Irrigation Project, actively providing irrigation in three northern districts – Nilphamari, Dinajpur and Rangpur – since 1993, requires around 2,000 cusec of water for watering 65,000 hectares of boro land.

But during this boro season, the flow has alarmingly come down to as little as 500 cusec – one-tenth of the usual flow – with which only about 20,000 hectares of land is being cultivated.

That is why, the project authorities have no other option but to do water rationing, which then again is said to be harmful for this particular breed of paddy because it needs constant presence of water.

“Over the last one and a half months, we have been releasing water one at a time for each of the districts. We do not have enough water to meet everyone’s demand [in three districts under the project] simultaneously,” said Sub-Divisional Engineer Moinuddin Mondol, who has been working with the Teesta Irrigation Project for more than 30 years.

Anowarul Alam, deputy director of the Department of Agriculture Extension in Dinajpur, told the Dhaka Tribune that: “The rationing system of irrigation is not a solution because boro paddy requires regular water flow.”

Boro is one of the major crops in Bangladesh, contributing a giant portion of the annual demand for food.

On papers, the Teesta runs along nearly 19.63 lakh hectares of arable on its basin. Of that stretch, 7.49 lakh falls within Bangladesh and the remaining 12.14 lakh in India. Reportedly, India has seldom managed to bring the entire stretch of its land under cultivation during the lean season.

In an interview with BBC Bangla Service on March 14, Rajib Banerjee, minister of irrigation of West Bengal, said the state government had been planning to expand its farmland coverage this season; as a result they would be needing more water for irrigation.

In that interview, he also said since there was no legally binding treaty on sharing Teesta water, it was only logical for India to fulfil its own irrigation demand and then think about releasing water for Bangladesh.

The lives and livelihoods of around ninety lakh people from Nilphamari, Kurigram, Lalmonirhat, Rangpur and Dinajpur districts are directly and indirectly dependent on Teesta water and boro farming.

The boro growers have been for years irrigating their boro land with water from the Teesta project canals that run along their fields. However, this season, many of them had to install shallow pumps to suck up water from underground because the canals have all dried up.

Sultan Ali, a boro grower from the Chirir Bondor Upazila of Dinajpur, shared his predicament with the Dhaka Tribune. “Despite having a canal of the Teesta Irrigation Project right beside my fields, I was forced to set up a shallow pump to irrigate my 2.02 hectares of land,” He said.

“I have to pay around Tk15,000 per hectare from my pocket for irrigating my land with underground water. On the other hand, I pay the government only Tk1,200 per hectare for using water from the project,” Sultan said.

“Most medium and large farmers have already set up shallow pumps because they do not want to risk their investments. But the small growers are turning out to be the worst sufferers because they cannot afford pumps,” said, DAE Deputy Director Anwarul Alam.

He also feared that boro production in the region could suffer a major blow this year because there had been no regular flow of water.

Mir Sajjad Hossain, member of the Joint River Commission, said the situation in the Teesta basin had never been worse.

“This is an unusual situation. On March 9 this year, flow was only 409 cusec – the lowest in history. This is happening because India is unilaterally deciding on the water flow from upstream,” Sajjad said.

“The government of West Bengal might not be interested in the Teesta treaty at all, but we have no other option but to immediately sign a bilateral agreement in this regard,” he suggested.

Toughest time for Teesta farmers | Dhaka Tribune

Read more on India’s water aggression with Bangladesh –

The India Doctrine (1947-2007) | Mohammad Munshi - Academia.edu
"Jamati" propaganda

How else can these communal bigots vent their frustrations against BDs most of who are jamatis anyway. :rolleyes:I don't expect things to change as most of the rivers will dry up in BD. I guess we have to go for new technologies in the future like desalination/ water recycling/ and try to get some water out of treaties with these communal goons. But before that the filthy maggots in power sucking our blood dry need to be squashed and buried for good.

Probably not, but jamatis do so much propaganda on here that it's hard to tell facts from fiction, you know crying wolf and all that.
who is jamati? for me it means anyone praying in a group

Probably not, but jamatis do so much propaganda on here that it's hard to tell facts from fiction, you know crying wolf and all that.
Oblviously this is a joke,Read the thread which Bdofrever recently posted to know about the truth.

So,all the AL paachata k.........s out there..how does it feel?
You people start taking ruti instead of bhaat ,cause your masters has made sure farmers stop receiving water for rice from Tista.
Its ruti for you guys now.
My native home is shatkhira,ruti is called mujiber chamra,he forced people to take it in74.
What will we call it now?

What a blessing in disguise. Bangladeshis should start eating roti, it is definitely healthier than rice, rice makes you fat and lazy, if you eat roti you will once again be big and strong and fair like your arab/turkic ancestors. So besides charging $1 per gallon for water, we can also export you some atta, win win for all

Annapurna-Special-Atta-450x450_tcm114-296646.jpg

Last edited:
Well isn't thats the plan? No water,no food,no food,dependent BD.dependent BD,money for India.
Is it a rocket science? To understand India and its stunts.
Isn't Nepal a land lock country ,solely depends on India for its bread and butter?

Yes the plan was actually proposed by Dr. Evil and his sidekick Mini me in the 90's. We at RAW never really gave it much importance earlier but I guess it makes perfect sense now. Another plan is underway to stop flow of oxygen into BD, will be implemented as soon as the teething problems are sorted out. You can pre-order one of these from flipkart by the way, made by RAW for bangladeshis of all shapes and sizes.

oxygen-cylinder-aluminium-empty-ox018.jpg

At this rate if the water scarcity is rampant, our farmers will start committing suicide like India.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom