What's new

To Indians and followers of Hindu religion

As far as muslim rule is concerned it was a part of our history. & if u ask hindus abt. it then majority of them are are not proud abt. that. bcoz muslim rulers were accused of performing attrocites at hindus.

I dont think South Indian hate Bengalis.South indians especially tamils hate north indians to the hilt.It is basically because of their arrogance,even though this is just a general thing.

Bengalis and other East indians are there in abundance in Madras and it is quite chilled out fro them.

South Indians including Tamils don't hate North Indians. I am North Indian and have lived in south for 3yrs and have numerous South Indian friends. Some North Indians do have haughty nature and say some inappropriate things which sets off people from South.

In general South Indians are very down to earth people and me and many of my friends enjoyed living in Bangalore/Mysore. Chennai weather is harsh and Tamils are quite sensitive about their language and culture but I would not call them arrogant. Extend your hand and you will see there is no problem in North-South divide.

South Indians including Tamils don't hate North Indians. I am North Indian and have lived in south for 3yrs and have numerous South Indian friends. Some North Indians do have haughty nature and say some inappropriate things which sets off people from South.

In general South Indians are very down to earth people and me and many of my friends enjoyed living in Bangalore/Mysore. Chennai weather is harsh and Tamils are quite sensitive about their language and culture but I would not call them arrogant. Extend your hand and you will see there is no problem in North-South divide.

yeah,it is quite chilled out,not a big deal.

I dont think South Indian hate Bengalis.South indians especially tamils hate north indians to the hilt.It is basically because of their arrogance,even though this is just a general thing.

Bengalis and other East indians are there in abundance in Madras and it is quite chilled out fro them.

It was a joke which fell flat on its face. And if someone, anyone, cares to read what I'd written in the first place, it was about SI and NI ganging up on the hapless Bong. Nothing like that happens in real life, and everybody knows that. Now can we drop this? And please can everyone jump on the next person to bring this up?

The SI vs. NI thing is active; people have mentioned Tamizh unwillingness to speak in Hindi if spoken to in Hindi. I saw this first hand in 81; it has diminished but not vanished. A rickshaw-driver will stumble along in a few words of broken English rather than speak Hindi, but try mumbling a little butler-Tamizh to him and he'll break his neck to be helpful.

It's more a language thing than against NI arrogance, I think. And Bengalis are out of it anyway.

The tamils are like bengalis,linguistically chauvinistic people.They pursue education,arts,culture,music,sports just like any other bunch of people.

The problem came because of DMK and the movement which had the backing of probably 5-6% of Tamils. DMK is full of pussies and they never had the balls to seriously back any claim of theirs, linguistic chauvinism was tapped and used for electoral results.

Basically,it was movement of the OBCs against the brahmins and whatever the brahmins did and stood for became taboo.

Brahmins learnt sanskrit,sanskrit is bad.
Brahmins are vegetarian,vegetarianism is bad.
Brahmins hold government jobs,take it away from them.
Brahmins have land,take it away from them.

Basically the OBCs ousted from the brahmins politically successfully.

Having said that the Tamil Brahmins(us) are also to blame as they kinda behaved like jews.Most of them came down from the north escaping the raids of Malik Kafur,Alauddin Khilji's lieutenant where you have to convert or die.The brahmins just moved south,where they were protected by the vijayanagar empire.

They are tight knit community and dont marry mix outside(Trust me,it is a big deal even if i want to marry a brahmin from outside TN).Therefore it definitely alienates them from the society.

Even though lot of Tam-Brams have contributed in various fields,they r still a big stigma in TN.

Couple of things:

Kartic Sri and I had a serious disagreement about this some months ago. You might like to take a look. He more or less (I suppose he too is an Iyer) took the line you are taking now. But take a look anyway.

I don't agree with your suggestion that Brahmins came down south after the attacks of Malik Kafur, and took shelter in the Vijaynagar Empire. Or rather, for me to agree would need more facts.

Are you saying that either Tamizh Iyers or Iyengars were northern Brahmins who came down south as late as Malik Kafur? I am aware that there are both Andhra and Palghat Iyengars. Hebbar and Mandyam Iyengars went the other way, into four villages in Karnataka, from what you are suggesting. There are records of Baidik Brahmins in Bengal who are 'Chakravarti' (suggestive by itself) and are supposed to be Tamizh Iyengars who were persuaded by a local dynasty to settle down there and maintain the agamas properly. Most of Karnataka and Andhra are populated by distinct communities; as you know, the coastal Konkan is Saraswats, the inland Kannadigas are Madhvas, Dvaitavadis, and there are a few more in 'Bombay' Karnataka (the Hayagrivas, I think; I don't know the Hubli-Dharwar area that well).

So what exactly are you saying? I am very curious.

Skin color doesn't change $hit. An invader is an invader. And you probably knew that already but couldnt resist bringing in the Kashmir angle.

Please don't convert this thread into another Indo-Pak fight over Kashmir.

I think you missed my point..........the indian member bought the issue of colour which i was giving a reply that theres plenty of people in indian-pakistan with white skins so the issue of colour is of no relevance.
The only thing about kashmir i have bought up is that they are white just like pathaans thus answering your indian friends point how we like being taken over by white people.
Next time at least take the time to answer in context and not go on a tangent.

Google eh? Hmm lots of results...Ahh I can see where you're coming from. Ashamed to quote the source ? I'll do it for you

What are you talking about?.........i gave you the full google page and you pick out the rupee news article.
What about all the other articles.......quote from them also or are you ashamed?

At least two Pallava rulers Simhavarma and Trilochana are known to have destroyed Buddhist stupas and have had Hindu temples built over them.
Decline of Buddhism in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:rofl::rofl::rofl:.....theres plenty more if you can be bothered to read about hindus attacked the buddhist for a long time.

Please read up on the people responsible for raiding/pillaging/buring of the Buddhist Universities of Nalanda and Taxila, and there you have your answer :cheers:

I know fully well what the muslim did against the Buddhist it just seems that the you hindus seem to forget that you put the buddhist on there last legs for the muslims to finish them off.

I think you missed my point..........the indian member bought the issue of colour which i was giving a reply that theres plenty of people in indian-pakistan with white skins so the issue of colour is of no relevance.
The only thing about kashmir i have bought up is that they are white just like pathaans thus answering your indian friends point how we like being taken over by white people.
Next time at least take the time to answer in context and not go on a tangent.

Well, my bad. But to be honest, your post was a bit cryptic. I get your point though.

That wasn't a serious remark I reckon.

South Indians in general treat everyone above Karnataka and Andhra as northies! Doesn't matter if you're from North-East or North-West! :lol:

I love Rosgollahs....But wait....Its Bengali right ?? :D

And yes everyone above the four states are 'Northies' to us. :P

Couple of things:

Kartic Sri and I had a serious disagreement about this some months ago. You might like to take a look. He more or less (I suppose he too is an Iyer) took the line you are taking now. But take a look anyway.

Actually I was given a rest that day before I could reply you on the content of Anna's speech in the Parliament.(if that is what you are implying). I dont disagree that we are a bit sensitive towards our language, But the love for our country is even greater. I still have that and maybe I can share it with you if you are still interested.

p.s.:I am not an Iyer --- rather a Kongu Vellala Gounder. Maybe an unusual name among my caste is causing this mischief right from my LKG :D

Last edited:
The SI vs. NI thing is active; people have mentioned Tamizh unwillingness to speak in Hindi if spoken to in Hindi. I saw this first hand in 81; it has diminished but not vanished. A rickshaw-driver will stumble along in a few words of broken English rather than speak Hindi, but try mumbling a little butler-Tamizh to him and he'll break his neck to be helpful.

Two reasons for that :

Since the pre-dominant majority dont know Hindi they are not sure whether the Hindi Speaking person is abusing him or praising him. Since I know rudimentary Hindi, I have seen may Northies maintaining a smiling face but saying the worst of words to unsuspecting auto-drivers,bus-conductors etc.

Second is that it is a prevalent 'regional' thing :lol: , Get on a bus in Pune and ask something in Hindi, you wont get an answer until you speak with rudimentary Marathi or the answer comes phat in Marathi. More like 'this is our home pitch' thinking.

Last edited:
Actually I was given a rest that day before I could reply you on the content of Anna's speech in the Parliament.(if that is what you are implying). I dont disagree that we are a bit sensitive towards our language, But the love for our country is even greater. I still have that and maybe I can share it with you if you are still interested.

p.s.:I am not an Iyer --- rather a Kongu Vellala Gounder. Maybe an unusual name among my caste is causing this mischief right from my LKG :D

Regarding Kartic being an unusual name for your caste: I was a bit surprised at your response; but there's no real reason why pappaans should hog all the good names.

Two reasons for that :

Since the pre-dominant majority dont know Hindi they are not sure whether the Hindi Speaking person is abusing him or praising him. Since I know rudimentary Hindi, I have seen may Northies maintaining a smiling face but saying the worst of words to unsuspecting auto-drivers,bus-conductors etc.

Second is that it is a prevalent 'regional' thing :lol: , Get on a bus in Pune and ask something in Hindi, you wont get an answer until you speak with rudimentary Marathi or the answer comes phat in Marathi. More like 'this is our home pitch' thinking.

Much more regional pride than suspicion and uncertainty, from what i could make out. But there's room for both types of response to co-exist.

However, I am disappointed that my basic point was not answered by the original poster.

Regarding Kartic being an unusual name for your caste: I was a bit surprised at your response; but there's no real reason why pappaans should hog all the good names.

Actually the problem creator is not Karthic,which is a fairly common first name cutting across caste lines in TN. Rather it is the 'second name' that causes the mis-conception as it is almost a trademark name of Iyers.

Much more regional pride than suspicion and uncertainty, from what i could make out. But there's room for both types of response to co-exist.

However, I am disappointed that my basic point was not answered by the original poster.

Might be !

I don't agree with your suggestion that Brahmins came down south after the attacks of Malik Kafur, and took shelter in the Vijaynagar Empire. Or rather, for me to agree would need more facts.

I apologize for butting in, but I have to say that I agree with your take on the origin of Tamil Brahmins. There might be a few who arrived during the time of Malik Kafur; but the vast majority have been in TN for as far as literary records go.

There is ample evidence from the sangam era literary works which support the existence of Tamil Brahmins even as early as the 2nd century BCE. Some of the bards and wandering minstrels mentioned in the Purananooru were Brahmins....Kapilar the poet-friend of Vēl Pāri was one of them.

However there is some ambiguity about who exacty did the term "Anthanan"(அந்தணன்) referred to during that era. The definition of it; as provided in the Thirukkural seems somewhat generic. It merely states that "Anthanan is someone who respects/treats with kindness all living beings". Later on, this term; as well as the term Iyer(which is restricted to Shaivite Brahmins) came to refer to Brahmins.We do not know if this was the case in the ancient days or it was a association that happened later on. What we can be sure of is, that there were some people had the role Brahmins have now, but we do not know if they were restricted to one class/caste or not.

Actually the problem creator is not Karthic,which is a fairly common first name cutting across caste lines in TN. Rather it is the 'second name' that causes the mis-conception as it is almost a trademark name of Iyers.

I learned something new today.I didnt know that Sri was a trademark of Iyers.

As a Tamil from Lanka sometimes I get confused by the naming conventions followed in South India. Jaffna(yazhpana) Vellalas and Lankan Brahmins cannot be differentiated based on names. Its common for a Jaffna Vellala to have a name such as "Radhakrishnan"(and ironically the "Radhakrishnan" will be a staunch shaivite...as all Hindus in Lanka are Shaivites.lol) or Subramanian or a name starting with Sri.

At the same time, its also not uncommon(yet rare) for Jaffna Brahmins to have Vellala names such as Rajakulendran, Edhirveerasingam or Ratnasabapathy. I wonder why this disparity exists between the naming conventions in TN and Lanka.

Back
Top Bottom