What's new

There are more Indian migrants living in Pakistan than the United States

Khan_21

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
https://qz.com/926009/there-are-more-indian-migrants-living-in-pakistan-than-the-united-states/

While many Indian migrants move to far-flung, wealthy countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, a large number of them ends up right next door in Pakistan. According to a new study by Pew Research, in 2015, Pakistan was home to the second-largest number of Indian migrants after the United Arab Emirates.

In the past 25 years, the number of international Indian migrants has more than doubled, growing nearly twice as fast as the world’s total migrant population. In 2015, 15.6 million people born in India were living in another country; that means one in every 20 migrants globally was born in India.

In a 2010 study, Pew Research found that India’s religious minorities were migrating at a much higher rate than Hindus, who made up 80% of the country’s population. About 19% of the migrants from India are Christian, though they form only 3% of the country’s population. Also, Muslims made up 27% of the Indian migrant population living abroad, compared with roughly 14% of the population in India.

By far the largest numbers of Indian migrants—about 3.5 million— live in the United Arab Emirates. Pakistan is the second-most common destination with two million, while 1.97 million Indian migrants now live in the US.

those are absolutely 100% Pakistanis... It happened more than 7 decades ago... and they migrated to their land not from their land... silly report...

That's not believable

Not sure which migrants article is talking about but the folks you are talking about are lot more than 1.97 million and are not considered migrants.
I would assume that these are people who were born in India, so by now they would be in their late seventies and eighties, atleast, if the migrated as children. Their children would not be considered migrants having been born in Pak.

So I guess havi is safe from arrest :)

I would assume that these are people who were born in India, so by now they would be in their late seventies and eighties, atleast, if the migrated as children. Their children would not be considered migrants having been born in Pak.

Although PEW report is talking about last 25 years but yes it's very vague.

Although PEW report is talking about last 25 years but yes it's very vague.
I think they said that number of migrants had doubled in the last 25 years but the total number as it stands now is dadada...see chart

Migration to US etc really only took off after the 90s and even UAE started in 70s and 80s.

But you're right..it is vague...one has to use common sense.

No, we are not talking about partition migration, we are talking about recen Indian nationals. MQM types can calm down.

People who migrated in 1947 are per law considered to have always been Pakistani citizens.

No. We are talking about recent migrants.

No, we are not talking about partition migration, we are talking about recen Indian nationals. MQM types can calm down.

People who migrated in 1947 are per law considered to have always been Pakistani citizens.

No. We are talking about recent migrants.
I guess the report is confusing , but the way I read it is this is the list of TOTAL migrants .

I.e. People born in India and currently living in another country.

The Migrants in Pak would be older folk born in India and moved during partition. They would all die off over the next decade or so. Their children are not migrants.

The remaining migrants are also people born in India and moved to UAE, US or other parts of the world - as it stands now.

This is a snapshot not a video.

I think they confuse it further by also stating that migrants doubled over the last 25 years. (That is the video ). The chart is the snapshot.

Back
Top Bottom