What's new

The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those absolute numbers are meaningless because overall voter turnout was much lower this time. But yes, it won't be easy to get another referendum. First they will have to convince westminster and then get an assurance from the EU that an independent Scotland would get their membership. But I have no doubt that if the public sentiment is strong, SNP would do their best to get it done. They won't get another golden opportunity like this again. The instability in London, with a new Tory PM who would be busy negotiating with the EU for an exit means that the no campaign in Scotland would be much weaker than the last time. Basically Loha garam hai maardo hathoda! :lol:
Well those absolute no.s are being used right now as the greatest argument against a referendum by pro-UK scots.
They also claim that enthu for the EU was low & thus it doesn't matter.

SNP though wants to get the process done as soon as possible.

But Brussels says get azaadi first then apply & wait while the process takes years
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-humiliated-Brussels-says-No-s-not-works.html
  • Nicola Sturgeon said she wanted to 'protect Scotland's place in the EU'
  • But Brussels civil servants snubbed her, saying whole of UK must exit
  • Sturgeon called for another Scotland referendum during negotiations
  • But Brussels said if it voted to leave, it would have to re-apply for EU

_-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frankly speaking the difference in the final vote I think will be very close when the vote happens.

I would also be interested to know what currency the Scots would adopt & whether the EU would even want them to enter in the first place.

Well, i hope this is a domino effect. If the western Europe decides to put in isolationist right wing govt. and dissolves the EU. IT essentially means one pillar of great power on this planet will be gone, making the other pillars Russia and upcoming Asian powers gain power and influence. Now if this also mean economic uncertainty in the former EU countries, more investment for us :D.

Great job UK. let the dominos fall one by one, The Rise of Asia is imminent.
I wouldn't be so confident, I don't trust the Chinese.

In the Chinese worldview there can be only 1 boss--->Them & Them alone. They don't believe in any "Rise of Asia" like we Indians do & loudly proclaim. The NSG issue totally proves it

Don't fall for their present rhetoric, even before 1962 they talked of Hindi-Chini bhai bhai.

If we are to take on them & their chamcha economically & from a defence POV. We will need the other Asian countries, USA & the diplomatic support of some European nations with us.

& we don't know which side Russia will take or if it even takes part or not.

Last edited:
When a part of a country wants to leave that country (to be alone or to join something else) at some point it can always be considered as "occupied" by a foreign force. What matters is if it express the desire of the people living here. It should be clear to everyone now, that people living in Crimea wanted to join Russia.

You can produce any result by a rigged election, so You have no data supporting your idea
that Crimea wanted to be part of Russia.
If You want a result to be respected, then You don't call for elections with a few days notice.
You call for election after a substantial time allowing pro's and con's to be debated.
You also need to follow the constitution of the country in question.
Occupation is a legal term, and no, Crimea was not occupied by Ukraina according to International Law.

In your dreams. I don't believe a second to the dominos theory. UK is out yes. But UK was never really in.

You're totally underestimating the resilience of the European project. It will take time and we still have a long road to go but we're building it step by step.

No underestimation , if right wing govt. Get elected in other parts of europe, a recerendum will be on the cards. Unless EU decides to teach UK a lesson which will give anyone second thoughts on leaving EU.

You can produce any result by a rigged election, so You have no data supporting your idea
that Crimea wanted to be part of Russia.
Wrong ! Many polls were done years before the referendum announcing what would be the result. Do you homework and you'll find those polls. Hint for you, US companies have done some.

Regarding the referendum itself let me quote this Sergei Khrushchev (US and Russian citizen) "crimea whose land this part 1 " :

"On March 16, the Crimean referendum took place without any fighting or clashes, which Kiev and Washington were hoping to use to discredit the process.

As a result, the referendum was conducted without major problems; 83 percent of the population cast their vote and 96.7 percent of them - Russians, Ukrainians and even some Tatars - voted for secession from Ukraine and annexation to Russia. The vote was observed by 135 representatives of 23 countries and 240 observers represented the Crimean civic society and political parties.

They unanimously confirmed that there were no significant violations and that everyone could vote freely, without any pressure."

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so confident, I don't trust the Chinese.

In the Chinese worldview there can be only 1 boss--->Them & Them alone. They don't believe in any "Rise of Asia" like we Indians do & loudly proclaim.

Don't fall for their present rhetoric, even before 1962 they talked of Hindi-Chini bhai bhai.

If we are to take on them & their chamcha economically & from a defence POV. We will need the other Asian countries, USA & the diplomatic support of some European nations with us.

& we don't know which side Russia will take or if it even takes part or not.

Chinese are not the only ones growing in Asia. Chinese over estimate their power and political clout. Within a decade i predict many other south asian nations will be growing above 8 to 9 %, Chinese will be forced to treat them as equals.

No underestimation , if right wing govt. Get elected in other parts of europe, a recerendum will be on the cards. Unless EU decides to teach UK a lesson which will give anyone second thoughts on leaving EU.
You'll need far-right wing gov in charge for that to happen but even if hard conservatives leaders are on the rise everywhere (see Trump in the US) I doubt this happen in a major European country. In France I can tell you that Marine Lepen is rising but she is far from having a chance to become president.

This is what political analyst George Friedman had to say about the Brexit referendum:

ClpUTCKVAAArefN.jpg:large

Are you trying to troll us?

No, your intellect is just too small to grasp it.

The EU is the voice of europe that guarantees peace, stability and exchange. NATO is worth shit without european cooperation.

We all know that nobody will stand with each otehr if shit hits the fan.

You think italy will risk anything to save Estonia or Turkey? You think germany will go to war with russia because Ukraine?

Economy, good life and open trade is whats important and not some bullshit war machine.

I didn't know that I had to be a UK resident to comment on it, you seem to have quite a narrow worldview. I asked you a simple question which you shrugged off initially and within hours my prediction that SNP would ask for another referendum came true.

You are again underestimating the demand for independence in Scotland. When nearly 45% people vote for something with a 80%+ voter turnout, it is not just a few nationalists asking for it. Last time, the young population overwhelmingly voted for independence whereas the older generation wanted stability and voted to remain in the union. Guess what, that stability is out of the way now. This time they will have to decide which union is better for them -- with England or with the EU. Let's see how it unfolds in the next few months. According to a recent opinion poll, there has been a surge in support for independence.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-scotland-poll-idUSKCN0ZB0YC
SNP(both salmond and sturdgen) openly said they want a second scottish referendum if scots vote in and rest of Uk votes out. That actually happened and they are just repeated what they already said during run up to this referendum.
Whether they get it or not is another thing but it was expected because they said so.

I didn't know that I had to be a UK resident to comment on it, you seem to have quite a narrow worldview. I asked you a simple question which you shrugged off initially and within hours my prediction that SNP would ask for another referendum came true.

You are again underestimating the demand for independence in Scotland. When nearly 45% people vote for something with a 80%+ voter turnout, it is not just a few nationalists asking for it. Last time, the young population overwhelmingly voted for independence whereas the older generation wanted stability and voted to remain in the union. Guess what, that stability is out of the way now. This time they will have to decide which union is better for them -- with England or with the EU. Let's see how it unfolds in the next few months. According to a recent opinion poll, there has been a surge in support for independence.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-scotland-poll-idUSKCN0ZB0YC

You seem to be rejoicing at the though of the downfall of the UK, your numerous silly smile icons are proof enough, hence my comment on why your "concerns" are not needed. Do you label yourself as an American out of curiosity?

No one said that the SNP won't ask for a referendum, I was writing about its potential success.
Voter turnout in the EU referendum for Scotland was 67%, below that of the rest of the country. That's not an overwhelming mandate for another referendum. You do realise that 2 million Scots voted against this. Fair enough things have changed. Sky News actually ran a program on the prospect of another referendum in Scotland and went about asking Scots what the think now. Again it was similar to the last referendum, the young were enthusiastic but the older folk still said they will remain with the UK. People kept on stating that they would not vote for "double the damage".

Lol@ polls, the credibility of polls is next to nothing after they predicted that remain would win by 5%, some stated 10%.

Last edited:
It was NOT a democratic election, since it violated the constitution of Ukraine and the election result was
controlled by an occupying force.
We do not have to accept it, and evidently we are not.
Russian economy in shatters as a result.

That french guy is living in a dream land. Reminds me of our far left. :lol:
He is comparing our referundum to a referendum carried out by a foreign power at gun point in another country's territory against that legitimate governments will.. Old boyyyyy......I have seen it all on PDF. :rofl:

I will like to see Russian tanks rolling in corsica and carry out a legitimate referendum against the French central government will obviously.
We will all have to deal with it. :D

Last edited:
SNP(both salmond and sturdgen) openly said they want a second scottish referendum if scots vote in and rest of Uk votes out. That actually happened and they are just repeated what they already said during run up to this referendum.
Whether they get it or not is another thing but it was expected because they said so.

Don't forget that with the fall in oil prices that Nicola Sturgeon knows that the Scottish cannot afford to go independent anymore. She just said what she had to say.

Don't forget that with the fall in oil prices that Nicola Sturgeon knows that the Scottish cannot afford to go independent anymore. She just said what she had to say.
I disagree.. every SNP leader sincerely wants independent Scotland, no matter what price they will have to pay.. I dont doubt her intention at all... she will try to push if she finds a hint of chance(of her winning)

I disagree.. every SNP leader sincerely wants independent Scotland, no matter what price they will have to pay.. I dont doubt her intention at all... she will try to push if she finds a hint of chance(of her winning)

Scots have already voted in 2014 to say that they are not interested in independence any cost.

By leaving the UK, Scottish living standards will go down to the level of Spain.

There will be cuts across the board like no more free university education, health, pensions you name it.

By leaving EU, UK is fuc!ed. It's not a manufacturing hub and the services it depended on need wider user base than not. It has increased its problems and shunned the support at the same time. People in majority can be stupid and democratically destroy their home making everyone, including themselves suffer.

Let's see who's happy now. Russia, China and stupids in not so great Britain.

Lool You have no idea about what you are talking about. Our skills, tech, influence, military power etc has never been dependent/because of the E.U, its because of our own strengths/skills/knowledge.:coffee:
We have been a world power way before we reluctantly joined the E.U in the mid 70s, we will keep being one even if we are out of the E.U:pop:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom