What's new

The troublesome Lashkar

jayron

Reaction score
The troublesome Lashkar – The Express Tribune
The troublesome Lashkar

Among the many jihadi outfits that were spawned by a malevolent mix of Cold War opportunism and presidential zealotry during the Zia years, the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has the most intriguing pedigree. Its founding leader Hafiz Saeed was a member of the Council on Islamic Ideology created by Zia. He was a popular lecturer of Islamic studies at the University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore but became increasingly radicalised following a sojourn in Saudi Arabia, where he had been sent by the government for higher studies. The organisation which he founded as Markaz al Dawa al Irshad became the prime organisation for preaching the Salafi (Wahabbi) school of thought in Pakistan and continues to this day to be a formidable force.
The ISI may have been seduced into supporting Saeed’s organisation during the 1990s because of their focused, and somewhat misplaced, stance on the Kashmiri jihad. When doing research on madrassas in Pakistan some years ago, I had the opportunity to visit the enormous complex of the Markaz near Muridke. The sheer scale of the complex with hectares of crop fields, aquaculture ponds, training buildings and schools, surrounded by fortified walls and watch towers suggested some level of state support for the organisation. While international pressure forced the overt training infrastructure to be dismantled, the organisation morphed into Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and continued with its activities. To this day, the Pakistani state and the international community remain unwilling or unable to dismantle the JuD. Yet the existence of the JuD is currently the most significant stumbling block in improving relations between India and Pakistan. There are several reasons for this impasse. First, the JuD has followed the model of Hamas as a militant organisation that also has a very powerful charitable wing. During Pakistan’s recent natural disasters, it mobilised its activists to help people in need and this has won the organisation much grass-roots support. With this, it is extremely difficult to dismantle an organisation and castigate its leadership. For this reason it is impossible to find witnesses to testify against any of the JuD leadership with regard to their connections to particular terrorist acts. Following the dismissal of the case against Hafiz Saeed in the Lahore High Court, Justice Asif Khosa famously said: “In the name of terrorism we cannot brutalise the law.”
Furthermore, as noted by Steven Tankel in his authoritative new book on the LeT titled Storming the World Stage, (Columbia University Press, 2011) Pakistan is so embroiled in a struggle against anti-state jihadis (such as the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan) that it does not have the capacity to deal with all outfits simultaneously. Tankel notes towards the end of his book that “Dismantling Lashkar must be a gradual process in order to avoid provoking a major backlash that could destabilise the country.”
India needs to appreciate this sensitive internal reality within Pakistan and should not make the arrests of JuD officials a prerequisite for substantive movement in the peace process. Indeed, moving forward with a serious peace effort internally within Kashmir, as well as with Pakistan would be the most potent way of eroding the militant strands of the Lashkar.
Targeting the JuD will also not serve much purpose. Indeed, its charitable arm could provide an important means of ‘repatriating’ the jihadis towards more socially beneficial functions once there is comprehensive regional peace. At the same time, it is important for the religious parties to do some soul-searching as well and consider the results achieved by their militancy. With current power differentials and global norms against violent extremism, the Kashmiri jihadis are far more likely to achieve success through non-violent civil disobedience. The Mumbai attacks have done nothing to further the cause of Kashmir. Often Pakistanis blame India for intervention in Balochistan — we need to consider that Indians view us in the same way vis-à-vis Kashmir. Amidst all this, the West has to realise that both India and Pakistan have a nefarious record of covert intervention that is a legacy of the Cold War modus operandi mastered by the US and the Soviets. Instead of futile blame games, there needs to be greater effort made to address the genuine internal grievances of ethnic minorities within both India and Pakistan — such an approach would most directly delegitimise the subcontinent’s vigilante Lashkars.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 20th, 2011.

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Looking the other way

According to a report in this newspaper, the banned terrorist organisation Jaish-e-Mohammad is trying to make a comeback, collecting funds through ‘ushr’ in south Punjab — where the government has failed to collect agriculture tax — and limbering up to claim its pound of flesh in a troubled and confused Pakistan on behalf of its master, al Qaeda. All its banned publications like Al Qalam and Muslim Ummah, together with the banned Al Rasheed Trust’s Zarb-e-Momin and Islam are allowed to be printed by the state through issuance of ABC certificates by the ministry of information and this enables them to solicit advertisements. (Zarb-e-Momin was once edited jointly by the Jaish chief Maulana Masood Azhar and jailed terrorist Omar Sheikh.)
In December 2003, Jaish tried to kill General Pervez Musharraf through one of its activists near Rawalpindi, after receiving some level of inside information from a sympathiser in the police, evidence of which was discovered later from the attacker’s cellphone. Musharraf had also been targeted earlier, by some low-ranking employees of the Pakistan Air Force (some of them were eventually sentenced by a court to prison terms) — since the jihadis the state had nurtured against India were put off by his policy of going with America after 9/11. Today, the entire nation is put off with Musharraf for ‘enslaving’ Pakistan to the Americans, and writers/journalists who allege in their books that the military has been penetrated by al Qaeda activists or that personnel have sympathies with militant outfits are mysteriously killed. If one reads the Jaish newspapers, one will realise that the war in Kashmir is still going on and the ‘martyrs’ of Jaish are routinely being received back from Indian-administered Kashmir.
Yet, Musharraf was not what he appeared to be, a liberal general willing to fight terrorism. The irony is that his favouring the jihadis did not incline the jihadis in his favour. It is worth pointing out that when the Jaish-e-Mohammad leader Maulana Masood Azhar, was released from an Indian jail in a prisoner exchange in December 2000, following the hijack of an Indian aircraft to Kandahar, he was permitted to stage a huge rally in Karachi attended by gun-toting followers. In 2001 the various Kashmiri guerrilla groups fighting the jihad were asked to unite under Azhar but this move was unsuccessful. Clearly, times have changed and such groups, (once?) nurtured by the state, are now out to force their former masters to stand aside.
British-Pakistani terror suspect Rashid Rauf, who ‘escaped’ from the custody of police in Rawalpindi in 2007 was a Jaish activist and had planned a terrorist act at Heathrow Airport. Jaish activists are ‘allegedly’ also said to be working with al Qaeda and the Haqqani Network in North Waziristan and around Darra Adam Khel with Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). Its leader Maulana Masood Azhar — Pakistan says he is not in Pakistan — writes articles under a pen name in his banned publications and, from the looks of what he writes, travels to North Waziristan quite frequently. After the recent release of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi’s Malik Ishaq from a jail in Lahore, the sectarian clout of Sipah-e-Sahaba has increased. Both are devotees of the founder of Sipah, late Maulana Haq Nawaz Jhangvi, and today are said to have considerable influence in south Punjab.
The nexus with the state has often been mentioned in the international press. A large body of literatures exists that details the interface the state of Pakistan enjoys with Jaish and LeT and there are recent publications pointing to the helplessness of the state to cleanse itself of these old terrorist connections because of ‘penetration’ of its rank and file with jihadi zeal. The phenomenon of journalists dying after disclosing new facts about this interface has scared the Pakistani citizen who is already less informed about such shadowy outfits as Jaish than his counterpart abroad. And the official doctrine of ‘India-centrism’ tends to confirm this bond. In Bahawalpur’s Model Town, Madrassa Usman-o-Ali is the nerve centre of sectarian jihad, established by Maulana Masood Azhar, intelligence reports about whose activities are regularly being sent by the Intelligence Bureau to the chief minister and governor of Punjab. We are forewarned — but will we do anything about it?
Published in The Express Tribune, August 22nd, 2011.

Looking the other way – The Express Tribune

I hope this will open some our friend's eyes to the other side of the story ! As they say there are 3 sides to a story; your's, mine, and the truth ! I hope our friends from across the border do not turn a blind eye to this story

express tribune is just like TOIlet news, the difference is just ET appears to be owned by some idiot pakistani

ET has the same credibility as TOIlet news does

I understand, truth can be very difficult to digest at times.

express tribune is just like TOIlet news, the difference is just ET appears to be owned by some idiot pakistani

Hehe, these guys only suit the news that they only want to hear. Anything else for them is either:

1 Trash
2 Lie
3 Propaganda

Indeed. Only you now the truth.

BBC News - The Kashmiri fighters who lost their cause

Missing 'warriors'
In 2004, former Kashmiri fighters tried to organise a group they called the "Real Warriors" which opposed the activities of the pro-Pakistani militant groups.

But it soon became defunct when, according to one group member, some of its leaders were picked up by the ISI and others were threatened with incarceration.

Mr Baig says hundreds of pro-independence activists and former militants are currently missing, and are presumed to be held by the ISI.

The authorities in Muzaffarabad do not dispute this claim, but justify such action on the grounds that local laws do not allow pro-independence politics.

"There may be some innocent people among [those arrested] … there may be mistakes made [by the intelligence operatives] … but the imperatives of national defence sometimes necessitate such arrests…" says Sardar Atique Khan, Prime Minister of Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

As resentment in the region continues to simmer, activists with aspirations for independence have found themselves without their voices and their guns.

BBC News - Kashmiri militant groups still recruiting in Pakistan

Kashmiri militant groups still recruiting in Pakistan

"There are different types of duties I can now be sent to do," says the man we have come to meet, but whose identity we have to conceal.

"I can be kept here in the reserves, be asked to recruit new members, or they can send me across into Indian-held Kashmir for jihad," he says.

Until the spring, this 25-year-old had been studying engineering; now he is a militant.

As he describes why he left his studies, he quotes from the Koran and repeats justifications for his choice, which have clearly been taught to him.

"While I was at university, I started going to sermons given by preachers and, thank God, I joined a jihadi group," he says.

"I went to a training camp with hundreds of others for three months. Now I'm ready to do whatever they ask me, to win all of Kashmir for Pakistan.

"The Indians are killing our brothers and sisters. If everyone sits around doing nothing, who will bring liberation?

"God willing, our blood will bring change," the young man adds.

He tells me his family are happy about his choice, and that they will be proud if he becomes a martyr and goes to heaven.

But that turns out not to be the case. After much persuasion, he allows us to meet his mother.

'Brainwashed'
"Only over my dead body will my son go for jihad," she says.

She tells us that she thought her son was going for Koranic teaching but that she was horrified to find that he had, in fact, had militant training.

Some Kashmiris want both Pakistan and India to quit the divided region
"I pray to God to keep him here and not let him go. I won't let him," she adds.

And the man's brother, we find, is furious.

"He is a different person since he went to the training camp; the way he talks and dresses. They have brainwashed him.

"If Pakistan wants to fight India, why doesn't it do it through its army, why does it have to use boys like my brother?" he says.

The implication being that it is the Pakistani state that is behind the radicalisation and preparation of his brother as a militant.

In 1947, India was partitioned. Muslim-majority Indian states formed the new nation of Pakistan. But in the hastiness of the split, the fate of Kashmir, whose population was more than three-quarters Muslim, was never fully resolved.

In the late 1940s, the United Nations had demanded that India allow a vote in Kashmir so people there could decide upon their future. India said it agreed, but the poll was never held.

The territory is now split between the two regional powers. They have fought wars for its overall control, but in the last 20 years, an insurgency has also taken root.

There was a time when it was an open secret that the Pakistani authorities were directly supporting militancy in Kashmir.

But now Pakistan claims those days are over.

"I assure you, as a state, as a government, there is no such policy of training Kashmiri militants to be sent across [to Indian-administered Kashmir]," Pakistan's Interior Minister, Rehman Malik, tells me.

He says that because of the monitoring of his government, militant groups have been brought under control, that they are no longer a threat to India, and that fighters cannot cross into the Indian-run side of Kashmir.

When I tell him about the militant we had met, and the organised training camp he had talked of, Mr Malik admitted there might be "some non-state groups" still operating.

'Supporting militancy'
But most people living in Pakistani-administered Kashmir will say the government is not telling the full story.

"The intelligence agencies in Pakistan are still fully supporting and financing militant groups here and the government is completely aware," says Zahid Habib Sheikh, from the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF).

"They will tell you there are no training camps but, of course, there are. This has always been Pakistan's Kashmir strategy, but it is a selfish policy that has only damaged our cause," he adds.

Despite its problems, Kashmir is known for its natural beauty
Mr Sheikh says he feels Pakistan is supporting militancy here not for the sake of Kashmiris, but to keep India engaged in conflict, and to use the militants as a bargaining chip in negotiations.

"Pakistan has also turned what should be a nationalist cause, about human rights abuses by India, into a religious cause," he says.

The organisation he belongs to re-launched its "Quit Kashmir" campaign earlier this year. It calls for both India and Pakistan to end their involvement in the region.

In what is traditionally protest season in Pakistani-administered Kashmir, where all political groups hold rallies, the march by JKLF was one of the biggest in Muzaffarabad, blocking the centre of the city.

People across Pakistani-administered Kashmir are united in their anger over the recent deaths of over a hundred Kashmiris in the Indian-administered side, killed while protesting against Indian control.

Just as we are leaving Muzaffarabad, after the "Quit Kashmir" rally, we hear crowd noise coming from a marketplace.

There, in the middle of the day, stands a bearded man on a platform, surrounded by armed men in military-type fatigues.

Scores of people have gathered to listen to what he has to say, and respond to his slogans by chanting them back.

He is a senior militant leader, openly urging new recruits to step forward. Undoubtedly more of them will.

Ah the truth, the truth is definitely not that India has never allowed a plebiscite which would take away the cause for any fighting in Kashmir. Allow the vote or face the fight, no two ways about it. The IA is a legitimate target of the Kashmiri separatists, Kashmir being a disputed territory. The simplest solution is in the hands of India to allow a plebiscite and be done with it.

Allow the vote or face the fight, no two ways about it.

Bring it on. 63 years of gas talk & nothing achieved seems to have taught you, well nothing! It is a right of every man/nation to be foolish, who are we to stop you? Considering where all this has got you & your country, maybe we should cheer you guys on.

Ah the truth, the truth is definitely not that India has never allowed a plebiscite which would take away the cause for any fighting in Kashmir. Allow the vote or face the fight, no two ways about it. The IA is a legitimate target of the Kashmiri separatists, Kashmir being a disputed territory. The simplest solution is in the hands of India to allow a plebiscite and be done with it.

Face the fight of whom? Are you trying to say that your army is so incapable to fight a war that they are using religion to brainwash your jobless youth to do the job for them? I am surprised to see the amount of faith you guys have in your army.
BTW, Pakistan lost all legitimacy in the issue when they first sent their tribal mercenaries to occupy Kashmir.

Ah the truth, the truth is definitely not that India has never allowed a plebiscite which would take away the cause for any fighting in Kashmir.

And the real irony, is that they refuse to give a referendum to the Kashmiris, then they come and lecture us on Tibet. :lol:

The difference being, that China never claimed to be a democracy in the first place. But India is apparently "the world's largest democracy", so they should keep their promise, and give a referendum to the Kashmiri people.

But no, they will continue to deny the Kashmiris a right to a plebiscite. What hypocrites.

And the real irony, is that they refuse to give a referendum to the Kashmiris, then they come and lecture us on Tibet. :lol:

The difference being, that China never claimed to be a democracy in the first place. But India is apparently "the world's largest democracy", so they should keep their promise, and give a referendum to the Kashmiri people.

But no, they will continue to deny the Kashmiris a right to a plebiscite. What hypocrites.

Democracy means letting the people decide the leaders. Not giving every group the right to break away. I am pretty sure you
know this.

Face the fight of whom? Are you trying to say that your army is so incapable to fight a war that they are using religion to brainwash your jobless youth to do the job for them? I am surprised to see the amount of faith you guys have in your army.
BTW, Pakistan lost all legitimacy in the issue when they first sent their tribal mercenaries to occupy Kashmir.

The Kashmiri separatists are largely not motivated by religion, at least not in the same way Taliban is. The fight is a legitimate one and if Kashmiris want to fight, they have our moral support.

The Lashkar however is a banned outfit, there are many operating in Kashmir which are not a banned outfit. Its a disputed territory India can't set rules on how its army is going to be targeted. India is the one that has drawn first blood by continuing on its illegal occupation of Kashmir. From there on, any assault of the Indian Army remains legit.

Democracy means letting the people decide the leaders. Not giving every group the right to break away. I am pretty sure you
know this.

One of the most important aspects of Democracy, is "self-determination".

Self-determination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which basically means that the people have a right to choose their own destiny, and is often decided by a referendum.

We of course are not a democracy, but you are (as you always like to say). So keep your promise, and let the Kashmiris determine their own destiny.

What are you afraid of? If you think they will vote to stay with India, then you have nothing to be worried about.

The Kashmiri separatists are largely not motivated by religion, at least not in the same way Taliban is. The fight is a legitimate one and if Kashmiris want to fight, they have our moral support.

The Lashkar however is a banned outfit, there are many operating in Kashmir which are not a banned outfit. Its a disputed territory India can't set rules on how its army is going to be targeted. India is the one that has drawn first blood by continuing on its illegal occupation of Kashmir. From there on, any assault of the Indian Army remains legit.

I am not talking about the legitimate Kashmiri freedom fighters but outfits like LET and JEM. This thread and all the articles posted are about the same. The illegitimate/ covert war of Pakistanis who cross the border to fight India thereby hijacking the Kashmiri cause.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

One of the most important aspects of Democracy, is "self-determination".

Self-determination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which basically means that the people have a right to choose their own destiny, and is often decided by a referendum.

We of course are not a democracy, but you are (as you always like to say). So keep your promise, and let the Kashmiris determine their own destiny.

What are you afraid of? If you think they will vote to stay with India, then you have nothing to be worried about.

You should read the conditions to be met for the plebiscite and the options in the plebiscite first. Anyway, I know you are not here to seriously discuss the topic but just to post some snide remark to show your presence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom