What's new

( Pak) Doctor Sentenced to 18 Years for Trying to Join ISIS

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
1693049946157.png

A doctor from Pakistan who said he wanted to “fight on the frontline” for the Islamic State group was sentenced on Friday to 18 years in a U.S. prison, federal prosecutors said.

The doctor, Muhammad Masood, 31, of Rochester, Minn., pleaded guilty last year in U.S. District Court in St. Paul to attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization.

Prosecutors said that Mr. Masood had expressed a desire to government informants to conduct “lone wolf attacks” in the United States or fight and work as a combat medic for ISIS in the Middle East.

Mr. Masood’s prison term will be followed by five years of supervised release under the sentence handed down by Judge Paul A. Magnuson of U.S. District Court.

Mr. Masood, who worked at a research clinic in Rochester, was arrested in March 2020 at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport before he could board a flight to Los Angeles, where he planned to board a cargo ship to travel to the Middle East and join the terrorist organization, prosecutors said.
In a phone interview on Friday, Mr. Masood’s lawyer, Jordan Kushner, called the sentence “extremely harsh” given his client’s history of mental illness.

In court, Mr. Kushner alluded to a report from a psychiatrist who concluded that Mr. Masood’s actions should be understood “not as an act of devotion to violent extremism and the aims of ISIS, but as a consequence of his mental illness and multiple stressors.”

But prosecutors had asked the judge to impose the maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, saying in court papers that Mr. Masood “chose a path to become a soldier and combat medic for a terrorist organization” despite having a successful career.
The investigation into Mr. Masood began in January 2020 when the authorities learned that he had sought help on an encrypted social media platform on “making hijra,” prosecutors said. The term is commonly used in Islamic State circles to indicate travel to territories controlled by ISIS for the purpose of “violent jihad,” according to an affidavit prepared by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Mr. Masood had been living in the United States on an H-1B visa since 2018, and held a medical license in his native Pakistan.

On the encrypted social media platform, he connected with two government informants who he believed to be Islamic State members who would help him join the organization, prosecutors said.

In conversations with the informants, Mr. Masood expressed being “sick” of living in the United States, and mused about carrying out lone wolf terrorist attacks, according to the affidavit.

Ultimately, Mr. Masood said he belonged on the frontline, where he could be “a combat medic … and also fight,” according to the affidavit. He initially devised a plan to reach Syria by flying from Chicago to Jordan in March 2020, but that plan was upended when the coronavirus pandemic prompted Jordan to close its borders, prosecutors said.

Instead, Mr. Masood purchased a ticket for a flight from Minnesota to Los Angeles, the authorities said. On March 19, 2020, he was arrested by federal agents at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.

View attachment 948780

A doctor from Pakistan who said he wanted to “fight on the frontline” for the Islamic State group was sentenced on Friday to 18 years in a U.S. prison, federal prosecutors said.

The doctor, Muhammad Masood, 31, of Rochester, Minn., pleaded guilty last year in U.S. District Court in St. Paul to attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization.

Prosecutors said that Mr. Masood had expressed a desire to government informants to conduct “lone wolf attacks” in the United States or fight and work as a combat medic for ISIS in the Middle East.

Mr. Masood’s prison term will be followed by five years of supervised release under the sentence handed down by Judge Paul A. Magnuson of U.S. District Court.

Mr. Masood, who worked at a research clinic in Rochester, was arrested in March 2020 at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport before he could board a flight to Los Angeles, where he planned to board a cargo ship to travel to the Middle East and join the terrorist organization, prosecutors said.
In a phone interview on Friday, Mr. Masood’s lawyer, Jordan Kushner, called the sentence “extremely harsh” given his client’s history of mental illness.

In court, Mr. Kushner alluded to a report from a psychiatrist who concluded that Mr. Masood’s actions should be understood “not as an act of devotion to violent extremism and the aims of ISIS, but as a consequence of his mental illness and multiple stressors.”

But prosecutors had asked the judge to impose the maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, saying in court papers that Mr. Masood “chose a path to become a soldier and combat medic for a terrorist organization” despite having a successful career.
The investigation into Mr. Masood began in January 2020 when the authorities learned that he had sought help on an encrypted social media platform on “making hijra,” prosecutors said. The term is commonly used in Islamic State circles to indicate travel to territories controlled by ISIS for the purpose of “violent jihad,” according to an affidavit prepared by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Mr. Masood had been living in the United States on an H-1B visa since 2018, and held a medical license in his native Pakistan.

On the encrypted social media platform, he connected with two government informants who he believed to be Islamic State members who would help him join the organization, prosecutors said.

In conversations with the informants, Mr. Masood expressed being “sick” of living in the United States, and mused about carrying out lone wolf terrorist attacks, according to the affidavit.

Ultimately, Mr. Masood said he belonged on the frontline, where he could be “a combat medic … and also fight,” according to the affidavit. He initially devised a plan to reach Syria by flying from Chicago to Jordan in March 2020, but that plan was upended when the coronavirus pandemic prompted Jordan to close its borders, prosecutors said.

Instead, Mr. Masood purchased a ticket for a flight from Minnesota to Los Angeles, the authorities said. On March 19, 2020, he was arrested by federal agents at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.

More "doctor's"

I really wonder if this is true or typical American lies
You can read the court transcripts, they are available if you request them . He never denied any of it only offering the excuse offered by a psychiatrist that he may be mentally ill .

You can read the court transcripts, they are available if you request them . He never denied any of it only offering the excuse offered by a psychiatrist that he may be mentally ill .
All the documents re men at gitmo are true as well....come on bro wake up.

Muslims have been sentenced to long prison terms on terrorism charges, because of "buying too much bleach" from a supermarket. Ignoring the fact that there was a promotion going on that item . But in their infinite wisdom household bleach is an explosive material 🤣🤣.
So why am I not surprised.

And here comes the defense of the terrorist because he is Muslim!!

This would be evidence from his own mouth
Who are you trying to explain? This guy cared less about 450 churches burnt recently in Pakistan but had a problem that a Jewish sounding name reported the news.😅

I really wonder if this is true or typical American lies
Extremists exist in every society.
Question [should be] how this man became one.

There is no such thing as a typical American lie. Everybody will lie at some point around the world.
Courts are supposed to investigate cases and dig out facts.
You can reach out to the relevant court for information.

Not surprised at all. Educated or illiterate, all terrorists have same ideology. Glad he is in jail.
Looool let's hope they pick you up and charge u as a terrorist like they did with many such as moazam beig

Extremists exist in every society.

Question should be how this man became one.
Yes bro they do and they should be dealt with.i question America as what they did in abu gharab and gitmo.
Many an innocent has been labelled a terrorist and even I have been pulled off a plane and questioned for 10 hrs at Heathrow. They even knew how much money I had looool.

so was eyraqs WMD....
Invasion of Iraq was unfortunate development but read and learn:

Don't make it a habit to bring this theme in every thread.

CIA is a professional organization and usually on the mark but narrative building is done by politicians and MSM.

Looool let's hope they pick you up and charge u as a terrorist like they did with many such as moazam beig

Yes bro they do and they should be dealt with.i question America as what they did in abu gharab and gitmo.
Many an innocent has been labelled a terrorist and even I have been pulled off a plane and questioned for 10 hrs at Heathrow. They even knew how much money I had looool.

Mostly people with shady history get picked up and brought to places like Gitmo.

Nobody will come after you if you keep your distance from bad apples.

Bad intel can lead to arrest of innocent people at times, I do not deny this. This has happened in Pakistan as well. But intelligence agencies are not picking random people from the streets for investigations. This is not how these organizations work.

There are also cases in which an extremist was ignored only for him to get a chance to shoot people.

Invasion of Iraq was unfortunate development but read and learn:

Don't make it a habit to bring this theme in every thread.

CIA is a professional organization and usually on the mark but narrative building is done by politicians and MSM.

Mostly people with shady history get picked up and brought to places like Gitmo.

Nobody will come after you if you keep your distance from bad apples.

Bad intel can lead to arrest of innocent people at times, I do not deny this. This has happened in Pakistan as well. But intelligence agencies are not picking random people from the streets for investigations. This is not how these organizations work.

There are also cases in which an extremist was ignored only for him to get a chance to shoot people.
I beg to differ.

Moazzam baig is a prime example.
100s if not 1000s of young innocent afghani young men executed by Australian SAS and British SAS for simply being fighting age.
I was pulled off a flight for no reason other than my age leadership qualities. They apologised to me but I was lucky as UK MOD had trained me well in xxxxx xxxxxx
So u see brother westerners have always been like this. But we think they are lovely and just....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom