What's new

The rising force in Malaysia's opposition

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Anwar Ibrahim, the face of Malaysia's opposition, has captured international headlines as a real challenge to the country's 56-year-old government in a watershed election to be held at the latest by June this year.

But even though Anwar leads the three-party opposition which includes his own party, the People's Justice Party (PKR), it is the coalition's third partner, the Islamist Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), which is emerging as the likely kingmaker.

PAS, founded in 1951, is the country's oldest and largest opposition party, and draws inspiration from Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.

When Anwar led an opposition rally last month, PAS outnumbered its coalition partners to make up the majority of the estimated 80,000-strong crowd that gathered in downtown Kuala Lumpur.

"A significant 75 to 80 percent were PAS [supporters]. They are quite committed," said Karpal Singh, chairman of the Democratic Action Party (DAP) and a member of the opposition coalition.

The rally was of one the opposition's largest turnouts, and underscored the extensive reach, discipline and organisational skills of PAS.

In Malaysia, where Malays and Muslims make up the majority of the population, the Muslim vote is crucial. Unlike Anwar's secular, nationalist party, PAS advocates establishing an Islamic state in Malaysia.

"As a Muslim, it is our duty. I believe if there is Hudud law, everything will change for the better. There will be no more corruption, and more transparency."

- Aminah, PAS supporter

Conservative segments within PAS want to implement Islamic criminal code, known as Hudud law, in the event that it gains the two-thirds majority needed to change the country's federal constitution.

But right now, it will be difficult for PAS to reach this threshold. Secular parties are opposed to Hudud law, although many grassroots PAS supporters and leaders want it to be implemented.

"In Malaysia, we have the death penalty. What's the difference between death by hanging and death by beheading?" asked a young, male PAS supporter who declined to be named, referring to the provision of Hudud that calls for beheading those condemned to death.

Twenty-five-year-old Aminah, a student from the country's east coast state of Trengganu, said: "As Muslims, it is our duty. I believe if there is Hudud law, everything will change for the better. There will be no more corruption, and more transparency."

Spike in membership

PAS members have more than doubled since 1998, when Anwar was sacked as deputy prime minister by then-Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who accused Anwar of being "unfit" for office.

That same month, Anwar was arrested after leading 30,000 protesters through the capital. He was later sentenced to six years' jail for corruption, and received a second, consecutive nine-year term in August 2000 on a sodomy charge.

"PAS membership doubled or even tripled since the jailing of Anwar in 1998, as PAS was the only opposition party [Malays] could join," said Ibrahim Suffian, programme director of Merdeka Centre, an independent research institute.

Anwar was largely seen as bringing Islamisation to the political agenda, Suffian explained, but when he was jailed, many Malay voters found PAS to be a natural draw for them.

"A lot of Anwar's sympathisers joined PAS and found a well-established structure there which they did not find anywhere else. The people stayed on in PAS even after Anwar's party was set up," Suffian added.

"PAS is held up by the Muslim Brotherhood as a model of a successful Islamic party that can win elections and rule."

- Wan Saiful Wan Jan, think-tank officer

Anwar's PKR party was established in 2003 by his wife and supporters while he was in prison. He was freed in September 2004 when the Federal Court quashed the sodomy charges, but was still banned from seeking office until April 2008.

As a consequence of Anwar's jailing, Ibrahim said PAS expanded its support base beyond its traditional stronghold in the rural states of Kelantan and Trengganu in the east coast of Malaysia to urban centres throughout the country by attracting "the middle-class, the business class and professionals from the urban centres".

Ibrahim explained that the new members contributed towards increasing the number of Western-educated, English-speaking members in PAS, giving the party a more modern look. The fresh crop of PAS members, while religious, also speak of democracy, human rights and good governance.

Brotherhood influence

The party's ideology is shaped by Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood. The party's founders were exposed to the ideas and teachings of the organisation when they were students in Cairo in the 1940s.

"PAS is held up by the Muslim Brotherhood as a model of a successful Islamic party that can win elections and rule," said Wan Saiful Wan Jan, chief executive officer of the Institute of Democracy and Economic Affairs (IDEAS), a private think-tank.

In 1990, PAS won local elections and has governed the state of Kelantan for the past 22 years.

"PAS is often invited by Muslim Brotherhood to speak in foreign countries of its experiences," said Wan Saiful, who is also a PAS member.

During a Muslim Brotherhood event in London in 2005, Hadi Awang was invited to speak alongside renowned Muslim Brotherhood scholar, Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, one of the world's most influential clerics.

Qaradawi's TV programme, al-Sharia wa al-Hayah (Sharia and Life), which is broadcast on Al Jazeera, has an estimated worldwide audience of 60 million.

"The fact that Hadi Awang was put on the same stage as Yusuf Qaradawi shows the level of respect that [the Muslim Brotherhood] gives to him," said Wan Saiful.

And perhaps because of Malaysian students' greater interaction with transnational Muslim organisations, young Malay Muslims seem to be becoming increasingly conservative.

In a poll published in July 2011 by Merdeka Center, 72 percent of Muslims aged 15 to 25 said they favour replacing the federal constitution with the Quran as the country's highest law.

In comparison, only 20 percent of its Muslim youths in Indonesia - the country with the world's highest Muslim population - said "yes" to the same proposition.

Still some way off

"Malaysia has a strong, central government providing a lot of services to the people. There may be gaps, but they are pretty small."

- IbrahimSuffian, research director

But despite the growing conservatism, Malaysia is still some way off from turning into an Islamic state.

According to the Merdeka Centre's Ibrahim, a conservative bent does not automatically translate into a vote for PAS, as voters demand a strong economic and social agenda when making political decisions.

Ibrahim compared Malaysia to Egypt, a country plagued with high unemployment and poverty that voted the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party into power last year.

"Malaysia is not like Egypt. Malaysia has a strong, central government providing a lot of services to the people. There may be gaps, but they are pretty small," said Ibrahim.

The ideological difference between PAS and the two other coalition parties has given rise to discord in recent months.

The discord is expected to cost the opposition some votes from the many fence-sitters.

Many observers expect the opposition to make serious gains in the coming elections, and some even expect them to win, owing to public dissatisfaction over alleged government corruption and a series of financial scandals involving individuals linked to the government.

During the last elections in 2008, the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) lost its two-thirds majority in parliament for the first time.

In recent days, however, the election has revolved around BN Prime Minister Najib Razak's battle for his survival within his party, rather than BN losing the election.

"This elections is not about BN's survival," Wan Sainful said. "I see BN winning with a smaller majority, but more of PM Najib fighting to survive as certain quarters will use the reduced majority as an excuse to oust him."

Follow Amy Chew on Twitter: @amyvoon
The rising force in Malaysia's opposition - Features - Al Jazeera English

it appears that the economic stagnancy has made the ruling government lost its voices.

Anyway, this kind of thing will be happening if the oppositions finally take control of Malaysia.

Sang+Saka+Malaya.png

bersih-bendera2-513.jpg

The old flag of Malaya will be flown again, making Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia once more under the similar flag of the archipelago.

it appears that the economic stagnancy has made the ruling government lost its voices.

Anyway, this kind of thing will be happening if the oppositions finally take control of Malaysia.
The old flag of Malaya will be flown again, making Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia once more under the similar flag of the archipelago.
Come on, don´t dream too much and provoke people in Malaysia and Singapore. BY the way, if all three´s one day re-unite, then it should become a vassal of Vietnam as Malaya was in the past.

Come on, don´t dream too much and provoke people in Malaysia and Singapore. BY the way, if all three´s one day re-unite, then it should become a vassal of Vietnam as Malaya was in the past.

Nah, that's not my dream, that's the dream of the opposition parties in Malaysia and I am not provoking Malaysian nor Singaporean. That flag which appears in my pictures I posted, which similar to Indonesia's and Singapore's ones, are shown by the participants of Anwar Ibrahim's opposition movement which since the first time, refused to be under British control.

You mean Indonesian kingdoms were under Vietnam's too? :woot:
Don't dream too much, if Malayan peninsula was a vassal to Vietnam, why is there no cultural connection nor the feeling of togetherness between Malayan people and Vietnamese?

Here's bro, the concept of Nusantara under the flag of red and white was firstly founded by a powerful Kingdom of Majapahit, probably one of the most powerful Kingdom in S.E.A. The prime minister of King Hayam Wuruk, PM Gadjah Mada conquered all island in modern day's Indonesia and launched an invasion called "Pamalayu" or known as Pamalayu Expedition to Malayan peninsula kingdoms and made them under the flag of red and white.

Majapahit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1302192557262250431.jpg

Majapahit.JPG

pasukan_prajurit_majapahit.jpg

Since then, the concept of Nusantara archipelago is still used to refers the establishment of self determining people of Nusantara archipelago and sometimes called as "Bangsa serumpun" or "People from the same root"

Here's a brief explanation of the concept of Malaysia's identity I copied from Malaysian blog.
0%2B00%2B0%2B0%2Babendera.jpg

That's why Singapore, Indonesia, and most political parties in Malaysia use the flag of red and white to refer to the glorious past of the Nusantara people.

Nah, that's not my dream, that's the dream of the opposition parties in Malaysia and I am not provoking Malaysian nor Singaporean. That flag which appears in my pictures I posted, which similar to Indonesia's and Singapore's ones, are shown by the participants of Anwar Ibrahim's opposition movement which since the first time, refused to be under British control.
Can you tell me what they really want? what model stands for a unlikely union with Indonesia and Singapore?

Not Indonesia, but Sultanate of Malacca. After conquering Champa in 1471, Vietnam wanted to further advance to Malacca. Unfortunately China threated to invade Vietnam if we launched invasion to Malacca. So the plan was canceled.
SultanateMalacca.GIF

Don't dream too much, if Malayan peninsula was a vassal to Vietnam, why is there no cultural connection nor the feeling of togetherness between Malayan people and Vietnamese?
Laos and Cambodia were vassals. Although they don´t have any links to Vietnamese cultures.

Here's bro, the concept of Nusantara under the flag of red and white was firstly founded by a powerful Kingdom of Majapahit, probably one of the most powerful Kingdom in S.E.A. The prime minister of King Hayam Wuruk, PM Gadjah Mada conquered all island in modern day's Indonesia and launched an invasion called "Pamalayu" or known as Pamalayu Expedition to Malayan peninsula kingdoms and made them under the flag of red and white.
That's why Singapore, Indonesia, and most political parties in Malaysia use the flag of red and white to refer to the glorious past of the Nusantara people.
Understood.

Can you tell me what they really want? what model stands for a unlikely union with Indonesia and Singapore?

Not in that way, only the feeling of togetherness in term of identity as People of Nusantara Archipelago and mark the truly self determining people of Malaya apart from British influence. IMHO, many participants of opposition movement in Malaysia blame the ruling party UMNO for working together with Britain against the people's movement who wanted a full independence.

here's a full video about how malaysia became malaysia's today instead of what most malaysians dreamed for when the sounds of independence movement were declared from Indonesia.

Not Indonesia, but Sultanate of Malacca. After conquering Champa in 1471, Vietnam wanted to further advance to Malacca. Unfortunately China threated to invade Vietnam if we launched invasion to Malacca. So the plan was canceled.
SultanateMalacca.GIF

From what I know, Malacca sultanate was not a full vassal to Vietnam. But traders from Vietnam or Vietnam's vassals country established a traders colony in Malacca which pay tributes to Vietnam.

Laos and Cambodia were vassals. Although they don´t have any links to Vietnamese cultures.

Yes, but they have the feeling of togetherness as people of Indo-China.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Indonesia is much more religious and culturally tolerant compared to Malayasia thus having different values. While Singapore left the Malayasia because it is Chinese majority and there is Bumiputra laws in Malaysia.

"As a Muslim, it is our duty. I believe if there is Hudud law, everything will change for the better. There will be no more corruption, and more transparency."

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...force-malaysias-opposition.html#ixzz2KfvEWOX8

There aint many examples for that and then

"In Malaysia, we have the death penalty. What's the difference between death by hanging and death by beheading?" asked a young, male PAS supporter who declined to be named, referring to the provision of Hudud that calls for beheading those condemned to death.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...force-malaysias-opposition.html#ixzz2KfvWT2kC

If it ain't broken why fix it!

Not in that way, only the feeling of togetherness in term of identity as People of Nusantara Archipelago and mark the truly self determining people of Malaya apart from British influence. IMHO, many participants of opposition movement in Malaysia blame the ruling party UMNO for working together with Britain against the people's movement who wanted a full independence.
Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and part of Singapore already share more or less similar cultures, custom and view of the world. So your dream is reality.
From what I know, Malacca sultanate was not a full vassal to Vietnam. But traders from Vietnam or Vietnam's vassals country established a traders colony in Malacca which pay tributes to Vietnam.
Vietnam, Malacca and many others in the region were China´s vassals. Funny: only Vietnam and Korea ranked higher than any others according to Chinese view. Vietnam accepted China´s request as being a vassal but rejected Chinese rule. We had several vassals, too.
Yeah. When France established Indochina, the French sent Vietnamese enforcement officials to Laos and Cambodia, because we were considered as smart and educated. Actually we led the administration in Laos and Cambodia.

:partay:

Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and part of Singapore already share more or less similar cultures, custom and view of the world. So your dream is reality.

Hope so, since today's Nusantara is divided into smaller states and often create boundaries problem, one side uses historical claim, another sides use the map from their former colonialists. And it always be like that.

Vietnam, Malacca and many others in the region were China´s vassals. Funny: only Vietnam and Korea ranked higher than any others according to Chinese view. Vietnam accepted China´s request as being a vassal but rejected Chinese rule. We had several vassals, too.

isn't that the basic concept of vassalage? Vassal states are autonomous apart from their master's core realm, but those vassal states are obliged to pay tributes to mark their tributaries to the master Kingdom.

Yeah. When France established Indochina, the French sent Vietnamese enforcement officials to Laos and Cambodia, because we were considered as smart and educated. Actually we led the administration in Laos and Cambodia.

:partay:

Maybe that's why people of Cambodia and Laos feel the feeling of togetherness with Vietnamese as they were under Vietnamese administration.

isn't that the basic concept of vassalage? Vassal states are autonomous apart from their master's core realm, but those vassal states are obliged to pay tributes to mark their tributaries to the master Kingdom.
Actually Vietnam had to fight China in numerous encounters as China hardly accepted our independence. We freely accepted paying tributes and formally being called as vassal to restore the relationship.

To be honest I doubt the Islamic party will win any major seats, Malays in general these days are quite against a very strict Islamic rule which is what the party wants.

Its like a love hate thing I suppose, kind of like how people want PAP to rule Singapore but vote for the opposition just to spite them and say buck the hell up.

Also I thought Anwar was an embarrassment over that sodomy case, I am surprise he's still popping up in the backgroun

Sosialist Flag

here's a full video about how malaysia became malaysia's today instead of what most malaysians dreamed for when the sounds of independence movement were declared from Indonesia.

Right-wing political parties

Since then, the concept of Nusantara archipelago is still used to refers the establishment of self determining people of Nusantara archipelago and sometimes called as "Bangsa serumpun" or "People from the same root"

Here's a brief explanation of the concept of Malaysia's identity I copied from Malaysian blog.

Original Malay Sultanate in MALAYA '' TANAH MELAYU '' = Black & White

Back
Top Bottom