What's new

The Only Missile-Toting Ekranoplan Russia Ever Built Just Took Its Last Trip On The Caspia - MD-160

I S I

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Fliegerfaust
Aug. 02, 2020 09:15AM EST

The Only Missile-Toting Ekranoplan Russia Ever Built Just Took Its Last Trip On The Caspia - MD-160
August 2, 2020 - by JOSEPH TREVITHICK for www.thedrive.com

Russia's only Project 903 Lun class ekranoplan, a type of wing-in-ground-effect craft, recently floated out onto the Caspian Sea for the first time in decades and probably for the last time ever.

Designed by the Soviet Union during the latter stages of the Cold War as a high-speed anti-ship missile craft, it only saw very limited service and is now going on display at Patriot Park in the city of Derbent in Russia's semi-autonomous republic of Dagestan.

keep reading below the video...
Буксировка ракетного экраноплана «Лунь» в Дербентwww.youtube.com

On July 31, 2020, the Russian Ministry of Defense announced that the ekranoplan, also known as MD-160, had arrived in Derbent after a 14-hour journey south from...

Read and see more https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-built-just-took-its-last-trip-on-the-caspian

Video Lun class Ekranoplan (Caspian)www.youtube.com

Source:
https://www.fliegerfaust.com/amp/military-time-2646862959

Good concept from the Soviets but what this can do the FAC can do much better. German navy operates Gepard class I think which are armed pretty well.

Jokes aside. This thing was really a game changing monster. Too bad politics & budget issues killed it.

Good concept from the Soviets but what this can do the FAC can do much better. German navy operates Gepard class I think which are armed pretty well.
it can increase it's altitude and so increase the target acquisition range, it's speed is more than any ship and it's armed with sunburn missiles...
however i never understood why soviet needed it as in those era Iran did not have any military ship in Caspian sea.

it can increase it's altitude and so increase the target acquisition range, it's speed is more than any ship and it's armed with sunburn missiles...
however i never understood why soviet needed it as in those era Iran did not have any military ship in Caspian sea.
Caspian sea was used as testing site. Ekranoplans were planned for oceans against USA, Iran has nothing to do with this.

Back
Top Bottom