What's new

The most successful military leader in history?

Operational, but not global.

He planned oversea campaign but forgot that British navy is much higher quality.

Still failed.

Hitler captured in Russia territory equal to 3 Frances. Napoleon captured a narrow strip.

His major campaigns have failed. How he can be called the most successful military commander in history? Influential maybe.

Thats what i meant.
He trusted french navy to be competent till then.
He did.
Hitler had airforce ,railways and mortor transport.Still failed.
His major campaigns didn't fail.
1796 italian campaign is one of the greatest in mil history,
1798 egyptian campaign - failure but no defeat on land.
1800 marengo campaign recaptured italy in 1 battle -that undid 2 years of allied work by masterly crossing of alps.
1805 ulm campaign one of the greatest in military history -not only the manuever but walked into vienna,
1805 austerlitz campaign -another great,
1806 prussian campaign -another brilliant campaign,destroyed prussia in 3 weeks and strolled into berlin,same prussia that had held back russia,france and austria combined in the seven years war.
1807 campaign was mediocre but still succesful,
1808 ebro campaign in spain was succesful,broke spanish resistance for the while captured madrid,british fled.
1809 austrian campaign -succesful ,again vienna captured.
1812 russian campaign -big failure.
1813 german campaign -initial success,then all europe unites and beats him at leipzig outnumbered 4 to 1 with his veteran armies dead in russia.
1814 -defense of france -one of the best manuever campaigns in history the six days campaign.Basically fought with nothing.
1815 waterloo campaign -failure.But came within a hairsbreath of winning at quatre bras and ligny,before waterloo even took place.

Also see above post i never supported napoleon as most succesful in history.But i do believe he is the greatest military commander in terms of capability.He fought over 70 engagements,fifty odd among them pitched battles -largest number for any commander.

Bismarck was a diplomat.Helmuth von moltke was the great military brain.
Ok, the great leader only means who go war and then conquer land?

Or great leader means use the every means to protect its country, before Bismark, there was nothing like German nationalism, he bring that. There was no country like Germany.

Isnt this is also a type of conquer?

Ok, the great leader only means who go war and then conquer land?

Or great leader means use the every means to protect its country, before Bismark, there was nothing like German nationalism, he bring that. There was no country like Germany.

Isnt this is also a type of conquer?

It doesn't say leader,it says 'military leader'.

Thats what i meant.
He trusted french navy to be competent till then.
He did.
Hitler had airforce ,railways and mortor transport.Still failed.
His major campaigns didn't fail.
1796 italian campaign is one of the greatest in mil history,
1798 egyptian campaign - failure but no defeat on land.
1800 marengo campaign recaptured italy in 1 battle -that undid 2 years of allied work by masterly crossing of alps.
1805 ulm campaign one of the greatest in military history -not only the manuever but walked into vienna,
1805 austerlitz campaign -another great,
1806 prussian campaign -another brilliant campaign,destroyed prussia in 3 weeks and strolled into berlin,same prussia that had held back russia,france and austria combined in the seven years war.
1807 campaign was mediocre but still succesful,
1808 ebro campaign in spain was succesful,broke spanish resistance for the while captured madrid,british fled.
1809 austrian campaign -succesful ,again vienna captured.
1812 russian campaign -big failure.
1813 german campaign -initial success,then all europe unites and beats him at leipzig outnumbered 4 to 1 with his veteran armies dead in russia.
1814 -defense of france -one of the best manuever campaigns in history the six days campaign.Basically fought with nothing.
1815 waterloo campaign -failure.But came within a hairsbreath of winning at quatre bras and ligny,before waterloo even took place.

Also see above post i never supported napoleon as most succesful in history.But i do believe he is the greatest military commander in terms of capability.He fought over 70 engagements,fifty odd among them pitched battles -largest number for any commander.
One great success of Hitler was that he got great Generals like Erich Von Manstein and Heinz Guderian.

It doesn't say leader,it says 'military leader'.
He was not, but possibly greatest conqueror of modern history.

Sultan Noor ud Din and then his successor Sultan Saladin(Salahudin) May be?...Both of them fought Crusade war with a huge margin of victory and ultimately conquer Jerusalem...!

His opponents has much more aiforce and motor transport.

Not in 1941-42.
Anyway the point was main problem in russia is nature and air supply/transport,motor and railways gives immense boost in logistics in that regard.

Hitler,Napoleon are not the most successful military leader of the world as they were ultimately failed in their objective.Chenghis Khan and other Mongol also not most successful as their success was short lived.From my opinion most successful military leader was Simon Bolivar,the liberator of a scores of Latin American countries and his ligacy is still going on.

Back
Top Bottom