What's new

The military Role of "East Pakistan"-Bangladesh in 1965 against India

Inception-06

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Was there any worke, interest or motivation in east Pakistan (today Bangladesh) to join the war against India in 1965?

like they did it in 1971 in the war against "West Pakistan" ?

sadsdchin6.jpg

For example to build up a "folk assault"-civil Infantry or did they just thought the battle for East Bengal would be fought in the West Pakistan by the West Pakistan Army ?

Last edited:
Nope..East Pakistan didn't send any troops in 1965 war or in 1947 war..

Actually, I still don't understand why India didn't attack east pak. There was hardly any army/airforce present there.

Actually, I still don't understand why India didn't attack east pak. There was hardly any army/airforce present there.
because in 65 we were fighting defensive war.
If you have to open a new front to put pressure on PA, will you do so in punjab (their prized possession) or east pakistan which they dont even bother to defend?
They would simply have ignored our attack in east pakistan and carried on attacking kashmir, something not desirable to us.

Actually East Pakistan didn't have anything to send, we were living on Pak Army's epic doctrine "East Pakistan's defense lies on West Pakistan!"

That was no reason for the folk of East Pakistani not to join the war, again if they could build up Militant Brigades in 1971 war against west pakistan, so they could do the same in 1965, it is a question of loyalty. I think the Bangalis dont wanted fight,if they would have seriously asked for weapons to build up a light "armed folk assault", there were no reasons for West Pakistan not to supply them. Even a defensive guerilla tactic would have helped to release the frontline in West Pakistan. I think the Bengalis never had interest to join the war, with weapons or without .......sad but true ! 
Also EP n WP had 1 army @Ulla

One Army is right, Ok and how many Divisions we had 1965 in East Pakistan ?

Last edited:
Nope..East Pakistan didn't send any troops in 1965 war or in 1947 war..

dude you got your history wrong the east Bengal regiment won one of the most medals for their heroic role in the Punjab sectors of Pakistan also Bengali pilots like shaheed ahmed buch, mm alam, along with army officers like shaheed president Gen Zia-ur-Rahman are well known participants of the 1965 war

During the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, Ziaur Rahman made his mark as a valiant fighter whilst serving in the Khemkaran sector in Punjab as the commander of a company unit of 300–500 soldiers. The sector was the scene of the most intense battles between the rival armies. Zia's unit won one of the highest numbers of gallantry awards for heroic performances. Ziaur Rahman himself won the distinguished and prestigious Hilal-e-Jurat[10] (Crescent of Courage) medal, Pakistan’s second highest military award, and his unit won 2 Sitara-e-Jurat (Star of Courage) medals, the third highest military award, and 9 Tamgha-e-Jurat (Medal of Courage) medals, fourth highest award, from the Army for their brave roles in the 1965 War with India.
Ziaur Rahman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was no reason for the folk of East Pakistani not to join the war, again if they could build up Militant Brigades in 1971 war against west pakistan, so they could do the same in 1965, it is a question of loyalty. I think the Bangalis dont wanted fight,if they would have seriously asked for weapons to build up a light "armed folk assault", there were no reasons for West Pakistan not to supply them. Even a defensive guerilla tactic would have helped to release the frontline in West Pakistan. I think the Bengalis never had interest to join the war, with weapons or without .......sad but true !

Buddy, I don't know what exactly your school text books taught you but East Pakistan was always kept defenseless per the doctrine I mentioned earlier, it was like we had to wait for West Pakistan to send the toys and troops to defend if we get attacked. Even the Bengali soldiers and officers were all stationed in West Pakistan. The situation of the '65 war actually prompted Sheikh Mujib to insert the points of forming separate paramilitary force for East Pakistan, as well as relocating the Pakistan navy head quarter to Chittagong in his six point movement.

Hope you know the indian attack on the night of 6th sep was unannounced...

Yet East Pakistan was kept defenseless ...

Buddy, I don't know what exactly your school text books taught you but East Pakistan was always kept defenseless per the doctrine I mentioned earlier, it was like we had to wait for West Pakistan to send the toys and troops to defend if we get attacked. Even the Bengali soldiers and officers were all stationed in West Pakistan. The situation of the '65 war actually prompted Sheikh Mujib to insert the points of forming separate paramilitary force for East Pakistan, as well as relocating the Pakistan navy head quarter to Chittagong in his six point movement.

Yet East Pakistan was kept defenseless ...

Yes, east Pakistan was defenseless in the 1965 war. But, east was not supposed to be a contested land between the two countries as it was Kashmir in the west.

However, people here were quite motivated and all the news of battle field victories in the west overjoyed them. Presence of large troops or not, people were ready to fight an Indian attack with whatever weapons they could take hold of. But, India itself was not that strong in 1965 to wage a two front war against Pakistan.

Moreover, it was always military-run Pakistan govt which started trouble and war against India and then against east Pakistan in 1971. Indian generals did not have any doctrine to invade east. They simply did not have the resources to mobilize in both west and east.

I believe, it is still true for India, today. This is the reason why India wants a friendly or anti-Pakistan Party in power in Dhaka.

We should not see 1965 in the light of 1971. The time, place and occasion all were so different in the two wars. People in the east were equally motivated here and the East Bengal Regiment troops in the west saved Lahore from being occupied by the IA troops by giving their lives while destroying Indian tanks.

Yes, east Pakistan was defenseless in the 1965 war. But, east was not supposed to be a contested land between the two countries as it was Kashmir in the west.

However, people here were quite motivated and all the news of battle field victories in the west overjoyed them. Presence of large troops or not, people were ready to fight an Indian attack with whatever weapons they could take hold of. But, India itself was not that strong in 1965 to wage a two front war against Pakistan.

Moreover, it was always military-run Pakistan govt which started trouble and war against India and then against east Pakistan in 1971. Indian generals did not have any doctrine to invade east. They simply did not have the resources to mobilize in both west and east.

I believe, it is still true for India, today. This is the reason why India wants a friendly or anti-Pakistan Party in power in Dhaka.

We should not see 1965 in the light of 1971. The time, place and occasion all were so different in the two wars. People in the east were equally motivated here and the East Bengal Regiment troops in the west saved Lahore from being occupied by the IA troops by giving their lives while destroying Indian tanks.

No doubt people were always ready to shed their blood for Pakistan, but I guess there should have been minimum level of deterrence in the east.

...and that 1 army was entirely based in West Pakistan, not East Pakistan.

Ja wir haben es verstanden, die Bengalen hätten trotzdem einen Volksturm aufbauen können ! 

The best and rational Reply in this Topic, I am proud of the Bengal folk, which did fight with us against India in 1965. 
No doubt people were always ready to shed their blood for Pakistan, but I guess there should have been minimum level of deterrence in the east.

I full agree with you !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom