What's new

The journey of India’s GDP from 1000 A.D. to 2020

Lol.. If you dont, Why do you bother to reply ? :azn:

Just heresay and assumptions, The fact remains there was no consolidate entity called India before the British created it, There is no valid way of calculating something like GDP out of a mere geographical notion of a region, Now if they did a study on economics of numerous monarchies and dynasties that ruled parts of the sub continent time to time, like the Mughals or the Maratha's or Maurya they there would be an idea of GDP of those specific era's specific to the regions they controlled.. But in no way does that constitute as the past GDP of what is now called India
Ram, God and Allah help us. This is just shite sprayed with gold paint. To do this one would have to:-

1- Precisely establish what do you mean by India? The Present Republic of India? The (i) British India 1800AD plus (ii) British India 1860AD plus (iii) British India 1937 plus. Moghul Empure (again which iteration)

2 - If you decide to be honest and not cheat by raping Burma, Bangladesh, Pakistan and using their figures to beef up "India" to present that as figure relating to present Indian Republic. In other words you only collate for the region that is now Indian Republic then you have to

3 - Get accurate figures for economic activity. We all know how well South Asia documents their economy therefore anything you come up with is going to be wild goofy guestimates not worth even considering.

Actually even if we could somehow delineate todays boundaries...or if the subcontinent remained united....there is still the 1000 lb gorilla in the room - the GDP measurement back in history.

Historical GDP and current GDP are both estimates its true....but the amount of information available to make the estimate for the latter is magnitudes higher than the former (so the quality of the estimate is magnitudes higher too).

We can only speak about general trends (like say sustained deindustrialisation of the subcontinent by the british leading to mass poverty)...and the "estimates" that were made were only meant to reflect that rather than be compared with say 20th and 21st century numbers.

I have read how they compile these early GDP estimates (even for contiguous empires like China)...there is a lot of hocus pocus going on by extrapolating and assuming various coefficients and such from what can be gleamed by already debatable administration tax numbers etc...

Just heresay and assumptions, The fact remains there was no consolidate entity called India before the British created it, There is no valid way of calculating something like GDP out of a mere geographical notion of a region, Now if they did a study on economics of numerous monarchies and dynasties that ruled parts of the sub continent time to time, like the Mughals or the Maratha's or Maurya they there would be an idea of GDP of those specific era's specific to the regions they controlled.. But in no way does that constitute as the past GDP of what is now called India

May be they took empires within whole of south Asia as it exists today or empires within the borders of current Indian nation state area. The area and empires covered can be clarified. But it's not impossible to measure.

I bet many African "countries" (their current landmass) had GDPs higher than some European states back then. What mattered for GDP was the land under their feet - a fertile land corresponding to a higher GDP. Unlike today, IQ and the quality of human resources mattered little. So even if India (!) had a higher GDP, all credit goes to the soil, not the Tamils.

Actually even if we could somehow delineate todays boundaries...or if the subcontinent remained united....there is still the 1000 lb gorilla in the room - the GDP measurement back in history.

Historical GDP and current GDP are both estimates its true....but the amount of information available to make the estimate for the latter is magnitudes higher than the former (so the quality of the estimate is magnitudes higher too).

We can only speak about general trends (like say sustained deindustrialisation of the subcontinent by the british leading to mass poverty)...and the "estimates" that were made were only meant to reflect that rather than be compared with say 20th and 21st century numbers.

I have read how they compile these early GDP estimates (even for contiguous empires like China)...there is a lot of hocus pocus going on by extrapolating and assuming various coefficients and such from what can be gleamed by already debatable administration tax numbers etc...

Dear Nilgiri, it's much easier for us to calculate ancient China' GDP.
1. In most part of Chinese history, China had powerful central government and orderly local government, they made clear vital statistics. Issued policys of tax revenue, military service and infrastruture laborings according to vital statistics. The statistics also referred to farmland area, wasteland area, damage in nature disasters.
2. Officers' salary and project, war etc's expenditure are listed. Today we can know how much a county / province / central government official could gain from finance expenditure.
3. China had complete money, land / house ownership certifications. We can estimate GDP taking these as references.
Check following fotos of money (coins) used in the past 2000 years.
http://image.baidu.com/search/index...h=&height=&face=0&istype=2&ie=utf-8&word=古代钱币

1. In most part of Chinese history, China had powerful central government and orderly local government, they made clear vital statistics. Issued policys of tax revenue, military service and infrastruture laborings according to vital statistics. The statistics also referred to farmland area, wasteland area, damage in nature disasters.
2. Officers' salary and project, war etc's expenditure are listed. Today we can know how much a county / province / central government official could gain from finance expenditure.
3. China had complete money, land / house ownership certifications. We can estimate GDP taking these as references.
http://image.baidu.com/search/index...h=&height=&face=0&istype=2&ie=utf-8&word=古代钱币

Yes its easier for some than others. It still doesn't take away from the fact that massive amounts of historical GDP went unreported and unaccounted for. The estimates are only reasonably good for comparing among time periods directly before and after....rather than across say 500 or 1000 years etc.

Hope you get what I am trying to say here.

Yes, the volume of annual yield of rice and salt was detailedly recorded for centuries.
China's central government is unique throughout the history.
They not only recorded statistics in China and all the kingdoms which paid tribute to China (for example Vietnam and Korea), but had very comprehensive historic recording of all the kingdoms and empires around so that many modern countries have to refer to Chinese history books to find their own history.

India didn't exist prior to 1947 as the political or economic entity as it's known today, So how can anybody realistically calculate what it's GDP was ? The Mughal era was just a part of it, This article holds no water

A chinese version of Australian flag struck.

Lol.. If you dont, Why do you bother to reply ? :azn:

Because an imbecile from another nation tries to lecture us about my nation.:D

Because an imbecile from another nation tries to lecture us about my nation.:D

Yet you still choose to respond, No moot point to counter nor anything to contribute, Makes you a bigger imbecile.. :-)

Yet you still choose to respond, No moot point to counter nor anything to contribute, Makes you a bigger imbecile.. :-)

Of Course .I have to respond to clear your misconceptions .
Perhaps that may help you to save your valuable for yourselves.

Of Course .I have to respond to clear your misconceptions .
Perhaps that may help you to save your valuable for yourselves.

Lol.. You made a declaration you dont care, Why bother to respond then ? Certainly it seems to irk you despite the false bravado .. :lol:

Do we need to care your opinion? .I dont think so

Btw you have done absolutely nothing to clear any misconceptions what so ever than make the usual generic statement.. Atleast more knowledgeable posters like @Nilgiri and @nick_indian have actually tried to counter my argument with some well made points

Sorry your "whole world" may be nationalist false propaganda or Bollywood movies but the real world knows India is a creation of the British Raj, It is they that added and subtracted territories for thier colonial benefits and called that entity British India, It did not exist before, Hence there can be no legitimate methodology to account GDP of a entity that was not in existent prior to 1947.. Mythical stories of fantasylands like what you mentioned dont count in the real world
Which country did King Ashoka rule about 300 BC?
What was the geographical expansion of Mughal Empire? Which country Mughals supposedly ruled?
British ruled entire South Asia including Sri Lanka and Myanmar. So why Sri Lanka and Myanmar are not part of India?
History is facts, history is also interpretation of facts. But history is not falsification of facts.

Lol.. You made a declaration you dont care, Why bother to respond then ? Certainly it seems to irk you despite the false bravado .. :lol:

Btw you have done absolutely nothing to clear any misconceptions what so ever than make the usual generic statement.. Atleast more knowledgeable posters like @Nilgiri and @nick_indian have actually tried to counter my argument with some well made points

Dont try to be oversmart .
My first post was one question and a brief explanation for stupid logic .
Your next post was an example of clear cut selective amnesia .
They are knowledgeble and I am wondering why should they spend their energy for an imbecile like you.

Dont try to be oversmart .

Lol.. There is no such thing mate.. Is it a Indian term..

My first post was one question and a brief explanation for stupid logic .
Your next post was an example of clear cut selective amnesia .

Again why bother replying if you don't care what other people say ? You come over to a Pakistani defense forum and proclaim you don't care about what non Indians say about India ? What are you dyslexic ?

They are knowledgeable and I am wondering why should they spend their energy for an imbecile like you

Cos atleast they have something to contribute rather than going on and on on a rant about posters in a International defense forum cannot comment on India, Maybe if you take your bloated head out of your own arse you'll realize this ain't your corner shop selling chai, But a online forum with multitude of opinions about multitude of subjects, and there is nothing you can really do about posters expressing them

Best thing to do if you don't care is to ignore, Without proclaiming it and then getting your panties in a twist.. :enjoy:

But history is not falsification of facts.

Only part of your mumbo jumbo of a post that i agree on..

In simple terms for you Mughals never ruled India, Cos it did'nt exist prior to 1947 or rather when ever the British Raj declared their borders.. Neither did the Maurya's (Asoka), Their Kingdoms/Empires just happens to be certain parts of the Subcontinental region, As were other parts controlled by other dynasties from time to time

India is a creation of the Brits, End of .. No matter how many mythical stories or propaganda conjured up by certain groups or people can change that.. So you're right History cannot be falsified, It's quite clear

Back
Top Bottom