What's new

The J-20-engine discussion is over and other speculative topics ... to separate from the J-20-news !

I have never heard of an engine built specifically to synchronize with an Electromagnetic Catapult launch before.

So this is an important innovation, if my guess is right.

Electromagnetic Catapult has this unique capability of programming the release of its EM force according to the weight of the aircraft and smooth out the g-force load, over the entire launch, instead of one sharp jolt, at the beginning.

https://engineering.eckovation.com/electromagnetic-catapult/

"Its main advantage is that it accelerates aircraft more smoothly, putting less stress on their airframes, [and pilot]. "
And what a nonsense you have, USA currently operating newest aircraft carrier with electromagnetic launch system but didn't test any kind of Special engines for their jets, stop your conspiracy theories
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford-class_aircraft_carrier
I am here for the Truth and Mr. Deino can't handle the Truth.
You're living in your fantasy land kid, get out of your nonsense fairy tales, you have a ego that you're always right, and by the way tell us how reliable/respectable you're link are in you last post, its similar like that India claiming their KARVERI for Tejas has a thrust of 300 kn, mostly you're assuming baselessly

And what a nonsense you have, USA currently operating newest aircraft carrier with electromagnetic launch system but didn't test any kind of Special engines for their jets, stop your conspiracy theories

You're living in your fantasy land kid, get out of your nonsense fairy tales, you have a ego that you're always right, and by the way tell us how reliable/respectable you're link are in you last post, its similar like that India claiming their KARVERI for Tejas has a thrust of 300 kn, mostly you're assuming baselessly
Welcome back mate

BY the way, do we know if any of these WS-10-powered J-20s is already painted in PLAAF grey?

I think @Asoka claims are more credible than the Kaveri claim lmao

Why will they go with canard design and ventral fins if the drag is too much compared to design advantages?
What he said is true. Seems you are the one has little experience and knowledge about jet. Rafale is close canard actually.
images

View attachment 639923

The word ‘close coupled‘ implies an interaction between the canard and the wing typically to generate lift. The Rafale and the J20 both are close coupled designs. But weirdly the J20 designers coupled the canard with a high mounted wing, while the Rafale has mid mounted wing. This design choice for the J20 further illustrates my point, the J20 is designed to carry large payload for long range undetected penetration into contested airspace. It wasn’t designed for close combat ..period.

F-135 paid a price for higher thrust, which is much higher bypass ratio.
F-135 0.56:1
F-119 0.30:1
F135-PW-100 dry trust 128 kN
F119-PW-100 dry trust 116 kN
China can sacrifice bypass ratio to improve dry trust, but is it what we need?

I think they should just investigate variable cycle. If WS15 first trial was done just when J-20 was ready and they decided to restart so many of its components then I suspect newer WS15 for 2025 or around then is variable cycle. Or I hope it is. Even if it is higher bypass ratios similar to F135/6 levels, I will be so amazed. China will have super high thrust level turbofan which is only limited by variability in bypass ratio. Even then it will hopefully become obsolete technology in coming decades.

I divide military low bypass turbofans in five thrust levels:

1. Weak - For garage enthusiasts and various experiment concept levels useless for military fighters and generally we ignore for this purpose.

2. Low thrust - Honeywell engine etc or WS-5 WS-11 etc of various low thrusts for drones and up to very small light fighters requiring two of such engines in higher end like FCK-1.

3. Medium thrust - M88, RD-33 series up to higher end of EJ200, F414, M53 - European low bypass turbofan achieve these highest thrust level but of course this doesn't mean they cannot produce higher thrust levels but there are challenges certainly and a lot of time and money to spend if they want to.

4. High thrust - AL-31, WS10, F100, F110 these are Russian, American, and Chinese now with WS10 being mature enough with over 10 years of flying service with J-11B series and now applied to J-10 and various other kinds even including thrust vectoring forms.

5. Super high thrust - F119 to higher end of F135 F136. So far only USA has this level of technology already accomplished and conquered. This is our Himalaya peak to conquer because it represent the level when we can sit side by side with the best if we achieve this before they achieve their next breakthroughs which will be variable cycle and even higher thrust than F135. Even if we can do this by around 2025, it is going to be amazing for us who just 70s years ago was struggling to feed ourselves with full bellies. WS15 hopefully considers variable cycle and I suspect the reason for total complete redesign was to incorporate variable cycle so in one leap we can get to the next stage anyway because the core design and materials for F135 is actually already there since years. For variable cycle it is not so much. About Russia's project type 30, who knows. Their latest report suggest roughly ready around 2025 as well.

The word ‘close coupled‘ implies an interaction between the canard and the wing typically to generate lift. The Rafale and the J20 both are close coupled designs. But weirdly the J20 designers coupled the canard with a high mounted wing, while the Rafale has mid mounted wing. This design choice for the J20 further illustrates my point, the J20 is designed to carry large payload for long range undetected penetration into contested airspace. It wasn’t designed for close combat ..period.

Well let's finish this argument we both disagree but one thing I personally think is correct is J-20 is not designed for close combat. It doesn't even have a gun. PL-10 is must in case for close combat and is helmet guided and very high off boresight anyway. J-20 uses long arm canard we can disagree here but reality is whatever it is and one of us is right about it. Long arm canard is generally for good supersonic turning and mechanical stability. Eurofighter is also famous for supercruising and supersonic turning. F-22 is also fantastic in its own way and can use thrust vectoring to full advantage due to advanced incorporation of its thrust vectoring and flight control. J-20 hopes to get 3D thrust vectoring here so minimal canard movement is required. This can help with stealth too but right now canard movements are not as important to stealth because again it is 90% material and electromagnetic now.

Dont think J20 is close coupled design. It is developed from J10 and similar to J10, which is a mid coupled (somewhere between close coupled Rafale and far/weak coupled eurofighter). JAS39 is mid coupled too. Perhaps we can say J20 is somewhere between mid coupled and weak coupled. As the vortex from the canard interacted with strake vortex and then apply on main wing.

Well let's finish this argument we both disagree but one thing I personally think is correct is J-20 is not designed for close combat. It doesn't even have a gun. PL-10 is must in case for close combat and is helmet guided and very high off boresight anyway. J-20 uses long arm canard we can disagree here but reality is whatever it is and one of us is right about it. Long arm canard is generally for good supersonic turning and mechanical stability. Eurofighter is also famous for supercruising and supersonic turning. F-22 is also fantastic in its own way and can use thrust vectoring to full advantage due to advanced incorporation of its thrust vectoring and flight control. J-20 hopes to get 3D thrust vectoring here so minimal canard movement is required. This can help with stealth too but right now canard movements are not as important to stealth because again it is 90% material and electromagnetic now.

Probably he thinks the strake is a part of the main wing, then it is a close coupled design.

Eurofighter is also famous for supercruising and supersonic turning. F-22 is also fantastic in its own way and can use thrust vectoring to full advantage due to advanced incorporation of its thrust vectoring and flight control. J-20 hopes to get 3D thrust vectoring here so minimal canard movement is required. This can help with stealth too but right now canard movements are not as important to stealth because again it is 90% material and electromagnetic now.

First, the ideal material for the canard on a Mach capable jet remains titanium - specifically diffusion bonded titanium, impossible to alter the characteristics of titanium by application of material science to make it less observable to radar.
Studies of several gen 4 delta-canards revealed that the canards contribution to RCS was nearly the same as the engine inlets but even worse when the canard is actuated. And for those arguing that the J20 is not a close coupled layout - the wings of the J20 is anhedral and the canard dihedral as you can clearly see from this picture so stop arguing that the wing / canard interaction is minimal.

cthp66k0dif41.jpg

But anyone is entitled to have its own opinion.

In my opinion you were trolling with the objective of pandering to your Chinese followers. The author of the feature you posted OWEN L SIRRS is an adjunct professor of cultural and regional studies at the University of Montana. Mr Sirrs has nothing to do with the USAF University - there is no such thing.

First, the ideal material for the canard on a Mach capable jet remains titanium - specifically diffusion bonded titanium, impossible to alter the characteristics of titanium by application of material science to make it less observable to radar.
Studies of several gen 4 delta-canards revealed that the canards contribution to RCS was nearly the same as the engine inlets but even worse when the canard is actuated. And for those arguing that the J20 is not a close coupled layout - the wings of the J20 is anhedral and the canard dihedral as you can clearly see from this picture so stop arguing that the wing / canard interaction is minimal.

cthp66k0dif41.jpg

In my opinion you were trolling with the objective of pandering to your Chinese followers. The author of the feature you posted OWEN L SIRRS is an adjunct professor of cultural and regional studies at the University of Montana. Mr Sirrs has nothing to do with the USAF University - there is no such thing.

Stop with this nonsense. You just know some words like anhedral and dihedral but these have nothing to do with long arm or close coupling for canards.

Stop with this nonsense. You just know some words like anhedral and dihedral but these have nothing to do with long arm or close coupling for canards.

Oh dear! Did I upset you? a dihedral canard with an anhedral wing increases canard wing interaction therefore conclusively establishing the J20 as a close coupled delta canard. You can find the relevant NASA paper on dihedral canard using google.

airplane-wing-forms-configuration2.gif

Oh dear! Did I upset you? a dihedral canard with an anhedral wing increases canard wing interaction therefore conclusively establishing the J20 as a close coupled delta canard. You can find the relevant NASA paper on dihedral canard using google.

airplane-wing-forms-configuration2.gif

But J-20 also have LERX in between main wings and CANARD, which change the performance completely for rest of CANARD EQUIPPED JETS LIKE EFT/RAFALE/GRIPEN/SU-30 series of jets etc etc

But WHY the author, regardless whoever he is, took the achievements of Argentina and Egypt to depict China's one? What kind of similarity of the overall postures of these three nations?

India may still make some sense for its overall posture is relatively closer to China's. But even at the size of India, China still has five times the economic size, let alone Argentina and Egypt. Still, historically India has been showing quite dismal achievements to any significant technological project it has been engaging, thus no meaningful benchmarking against India.

When the author tried to project China's outcome from the past records made by Argentina, Egypt and India, then every one with sane mind should know it's a terrible crap worth of no further attention! Going into further details is merely a waste of time! A laughing stock really… the pdf was carried by the "Journal of Indo Pacific Affairs" Summer 2020… someone is paid to put some random writing there :enjoy::argh::blah:

Back
Top Bottom