What's new

The irresistible lure of Pakistan's 'killer mountain'

For Pakistan, improving the security situation is the most important and necessary requirement. Without that tourism would not flourish. No matter how many tourist attractions that you have not many people would risk their lives to see them.

@Talon Stop taking angry jibes at people and stop overreacting, because if you do, people will respond in kind, you can't help that.In the end, you will be successful in nothing but derailing your own thread...Its a good thread, and I would like to see it remain clean...
taking jibes? How about people start sticking to the thread for once...Its not the 1st thread Mr. @jaunty made an attempt in derailing with his replies...maybe you need to take a look at that too...

Well don't worry about the name. We have Indians here who have just realized after reading this news that K2 is not in India like they were taught at school. Check TOI comments section for the same news for further details. :rofl:
brother can you please edit or delete this...it has caused un necessary....umm...problems...thank you :)

Tnx .

actually you're so right !! people want to spend a good time ! they wont change anything for a good tanning in a beach with hot chicks and a fancy car taking them to their 6 star Hotel .

even Taj mahal , perspolis or killer mount cannot be a challenge to them without proper marketing .
Actually, if you ask a tourist from West they will tell you they dont care if your mall doesnt sell expensive brands because they do not come to East to buy something that can be found in the West (unless it is cheaper) but to experience he Eastern beauty and nature ....and that is exactly what Dubai has given them...Something of that they have not experienced desert safari :)

Last edited:
The moment I saw the thread title, I was almost certain that it is about K2, Godwin Austen..Well, as I can see, I was wrong...

If I am not mistaken,I think K2 has claimed a good many lives.

K-2 is called the "Savage Mountain" .. Nanga Parbat is called "Killer Mountain" ..

i agree , they are loosing billions in dollars by this ignorance .

UAE is making billions by promoting a desert (lol) , while pakistan with its beauty is not making one hundredth of that amount unfortunately .

iran is also doing its best , but with US issue of warning for traveling (although there is 100% security and the infrastructure is acceptable) we have lost our visitors compared to shah's time (may he rest in hell -lol)

God bless all of us :D

3533udk.jpg

1zwnhnk.jpg

nanga-parbat-7.jpg

Nanga Parbat16645.jpg

Nanga+Parbat.jpg

Goddamn, what an awe inspiring picture. What captures my eye is not the mountain. For those who don't know, that thick, near vertical, reddish line of stars you see is one of the two spiral arms of our galaxy, the milky way. We live in the other arm of the spiral, at the opposite end. We can never observe the "arm" we reside in, unless we send a camera to a sufficient distance. That spiral arm, and our own, are moving at millions of miles a second around the galactic center. If there are sentient beings looking up into the sky in that region, they would see our own sun as a tiny spot in a similar "arm". The planets and Nanga Parbat would be too insignificant and small for them to observe or take notice.

In the Indian subcontinent, that long reddish line (which is what it looks like) used to be called "Akash Ganga" - The Ganga in the sky. This was before people knew anything about galaxies or galactic clusters.

Goddamn, what an awe inspiring picture. What captures my eye is not the mountain. For those who don't know, that thick, near vertical, reddish line of stars you see is one of the two spiral arms of our galaxy, the milky way. We live in the other arm of the spiral, at the opposite end. We can never observe the "arm" we reside in, unless we send a camera to a sufficient distance. That spiral arm, and our own, are moving at millions of miles a second around the galactic center. If there are sentient beings looking up into the sky in that region, they would see our own sun as a tiny spot in a similar "arm". The planets and Nanga Parbat would be too insignificant and small for them to observe or take notice.

In the Indian subcontinent, that long reddish line (which is what it looks like) used to be called "Akash Ganga" - The Ganga in the sky. This was before people knew anything about galaxies or galactic clusters.

How lucky were the people who got to sleep under those stars.

2ndmountaineer_Pakistan_AFP_360x270_1.jpg

AFP

This handout photograph taken on February 14, 2014 and released by Marianna Zanatta Sports Marketing Communication Management shows German climber David Goettler at Nanga Parbat, Pakistan's second-highest peak at 8,125 metres (26,660 feet).

Islamabad: Gunmen shot dead 10 foreign tourists at its base camp last year, but for serious mountaineers, the allure of Pakistan's "killer mountain" remains irresistible.

Militants stormed Nanga Parbat base camp on the night of June 22, 2013, dragging the climbers out of their tents and shooting them point blank along with their local guide.

The massacre badly hit tourism in Pakistan's wild, mountainous north, which is home to some of the world's highest peaks and most challenging climbs.

But three winter summit attempts have brought fresh hopes for the industry, crucial to the local economy, as it gears up for the summer climbing season.

Nanga Parbat, Pakistan's second-highest peak at 8,125 metres (26,660 feet), has never been climbed successfully in winter because of the treacherous weather conditions.

Its fearsome Rupal Face, rising more than 4,000 metres from base to top, presents one of the most difficult -- and tantalising -- challenges in climbing.

Simone Moro, one of the world's leading Alpinists, was among those to return unsuccessful from Nanga Parbat this winter.

The Italian has now made two attempts to climb the peak in winter and the mountain is drawing him to make a third.

"I have felt strange feelings there, feelings that I have never felt before at the foot of a mountain," he said.

"Nanga is not just a mountain, it is a whole world on its own to be discovered and explored -- a planet apart from the Himalayas."

"The Rupal Face is incredible, its like a giant planet standing in front of you, seducing you to climb it."

- Mountains of bureaucracy? -
Nanga Parbat earned its grisly nickname after more than 30 climbers died trying to conquer it before the first successful summit in 1953.

The events of last June gave the name a new, more sinister overtone but Moro says the incident was a blip and he wants to encourage others to come to Pakistan.

"I consider Nanga Parbat as the most safest place in Pakistan," he said.

"What happened last year was just a tragic episode, accidents can happen anywhere in the world but that never means it will always repeat itself."

David Goettler, a German member of the expedition led by Moro who has twice attempted K2 -- Pakistan's highest peak and the world's second-highest -- said he was astonished by the attack.

"I could not believe it, I was like 'how on earth did the terrorists come there?'" he said.

"I have visited Pakistan six times in the past and I have a super good relationship with the people there."

The regional government in Gilgit-Baltistan has slashed the fee for climbing in winter by 95 percent to $270.

But Moro said it was very difficult for mountaineers to get visas for Pakistan -- a common gripe from tourists who face seemingly endless bureaucratic hurdles to visit even for a short time.

"You have to literally fight for six to seven months to get a visa for Pakistan -- you need to open your doors in order to let people come in," said Moro.

Ashraf Aman, the first Pakistani climber to scale K2, says the government is making no serious effort to encourage tourism.

The country's powerful intelligence services -- which keep a close watch on foreigners travelling outside of major cities -- make life difficult for those who do arrive, said Aman, who now runs a tour operating company.

"It is very difficult to get a visa and if a tourist's luck wins him a visa he regrets his decision the moment he arrives in Pakistan," he said.

"The security and intelligence agencies start never-ending sessions of questions, one after another at each destination."

- 'A treacherous nowhere' -

Nestled between the western end of the Himalayas, the Hindu Kush mountains and the Karakoram range, Gilgit-Baltistan houses 18 of the world's 50 highest peaks.

It is also home to three of the world's seven longest glaciers outside the polar regions and hundreds of its mountains have never been climbed.

But it is the lure of Nanga Parbat that draws Moro back, the famous names that have climbed it in the past -- Reinhold Messner, Steve House, Tomaz Humar.

"Climbing Nanga Parbat is like crossing an ocean or a desert, heading to the peak with the idea of joining two points across a treacherous nowhere," said Moro.
The Irresistible Lure of Pakistan's 'Killer Mountain' | NDTV.com

No idiot! To you inna porangay might not sound weird but to me it will ...likewise Nanga Parvata did...Now you guys think as guys and concentrate on nanga rather than the parvata is not my fault!

thanks for the 1st part though!

I have no idea what "innay porangay" means. Googling it turned up only 3 results, one of which was your own post,and the other two are unmentionable.

And I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that I am a guy (how would you know that?:azn:) and therefore it sounds different to me than it does to you?

Stop playing the gender card, women don't need to be any more prudish than men. Anyway I didn't concentrate on the nagna (it's nagna in sanskrit, not nanga as in other Indian and Pakistani languages) or the parvata, I only concentrated on its sublime beauty.

I have no idea what "innay porangay" means. Googling it turned up only 3 results, one of which was your own post,and the other two are unmentionable.

And I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that I am a guy (how would you know that?:azn:) and therefore it sounds different to me than it does to you?

Stop playing the gender card, women don't need to be any more prudish than men. Anyway I didn't concentrate on the nagna (it's nagna in sanskrit, not nanga as in other Indian and Pakistani languages) or the parvata, I only concentrated on its sublime beauty.
oh the innocence!

I am not sure what Inna porangay means...My sister's Indian teacher used to say it ...

No the guys all jumped at nanga and forgot there was another word (parvata) which I was not familiar with at all and hence it sounded weird to me..

How lucky were the people who got to sleep under those stars.

Nah, you are romanticizing the past. There is no law today which prohibits you from sleeping under the stars - people don't do it anymore, because it is a lot healthier and convenient to sleep in a concrete home, away from predators and bugs. There is a reason people moved on from sleeping under the stars to sleeping in secure dwellings.

But yes, a quiet night under those stars can do wonders for our spiritual side, and give us a sense of where we are in the grand universe.

oh the innocence!

I am not sure what Inna porangay means...My sister's Indian teacher used to say it ...

No the guys all jumped at nanga and forgot there was another word (parvata) which I was not familiar with at all and hence it sounded weird to me..
I dont know what "inna porangay" means, and I don't even know what language that is in. I would be grateful if you tell me. You may not know this, but Indians speak 22 languages officially, and hundreds unofficially. We don't understand other Indian languages, unless we learn them.

Believe me, I am not a prude, and if I knew what it means, I would not pretend I didn't.

I dont know what "inna porangay" means, and I don't even know what language that is in. I would be grateful if you tell me. You may not know this, but Indians speak 22 languages officially, and hundreds unofficially. We don't understand other Indian languages, unless we learn them.

Believe me, I am not a prude, and if I knew what it means, I would not pretend I didn't.
I am not sure where she was from or what she was saying...But another Indian told me it means something like you dont understand or something...I am still not sure it is prob a dialect...I will ask again...

Camping... nobody wants to do it everyday!

Unless you have a hot gal with you n nobody around for a 100 miles..
brother! :astagh::astagh::astagh: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Back
Top Bottom