What's new

The importance of producing our own military equipment ourselves!

New Recruit

Reaction score
I feel this is a very important topic, that needs to be discussed. Because, as long as we keep buying military equipment from other countries, they will keep manipulating us politically, economically and technologically. Our country, and our forces may be able to stand out at a local scale, but we may not be able to stand out globally.

The best category, I found for this discussion is "Economic Issues". Please see this thread:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/economy-development/29235-pakistani-buy-pakistani.html#post415247

What do you think ... ?

Last edited:
completely true and Pakistan is surely gradually moving to that target, we are producing Al Khalid, Agosta Subs, JF17 Missiles (among the worlds best) and many many more things!
we are also producing most of our defence equipment at home, some under licience of other countries and some are our own projects and ithink we are moving in the right direction!

regards!

@arsalan

You are right in saying that we are moving towards that direction. But should'nt we be doing that faster? I mean, look at Singapore, South Korea, Dubai. I think that is the pace we need.

@hasnain

The main discussion is being held in the thread "Be Pakistani ... Buy Pakistani" in the "Economy" section of this forum. A link to the thread is given in the first post of this thread.

However, what I meant to say in the last post is that Pakistan is moving towards self reliance in production of both defence and non-defence equipment. But, as our progress is marred by political turmoil and other delaying factors, we are not going fast enough. I gave the example of rapidly developing economies of Singapore, South Korea and Dubai. If we all join our hands together, we can definitely grow as fast as these countries are growing.

I agree with "pakistanMYheart". Even though there has been some progress made in this sector, we are far from becoming self-sustained or self-sufficient ;)

It's up-to us (the new generation) to reach that goal!

@unstopabl3

You put it down perfectly. It is really upto the young generation now, to learn from past mistakes, to change traditions where needed, and move ahead with full speed.

Let's try our best and hope that Allah accepts our efforts ;)

You are a good lad ;) Keep up the good work!

@unstopabl3

Thanks for the compliments. Not every one around here thinks so good about me :(

Specially the "Military Professionals"

Lets hope for the best !

Get the literacy rate up in the country and you will have indiginous defence production at the level of SK and Singapore. No country can do so just on the basis of government run factories and R&D. The key here is to get the private sector trained, educated and researching so they can produce equipment that incorporates new technologies, is rugged and meets the requirements of the armed forces. Anything besides the above is just sloganeering (which has been going on since the 50s).

@unstopabl3

Thanks for the compliments. Not every one around here thinks so good about me :(

Specially the "Military Professionals"

Lets hope for the best !

Nobody things any less of you. Differences in opinion are nothing personal. If everyone agreed then there would be no need to have these boards. I think the only point that MPs try to make is that if someone states something about their profession then it has to be grounded in facts (but differences of opinion are bound to exist).

Get the literacy rate up in the country and you will have indiginous defence production at the level of SK and Singapore. No country can do so just on the basis of government run factories and R&D. The key here is to get the private sector trained, educated and researching so they can produce equipment that incorporates new technologies, is rugged and meets the requirements of the armed forces. Anything besides the above is just sloganeering (which has been going on since the 50s).

Yes, I think the same too. In my view, the government should start improving educational standards, and give incentives to educated people in all fields. Even, if the government does not care where these scholars fit in, as time progresses, things will automatically improve. Educated brains cannot sit idle, they will keep on thinking of new ideas and implementing them.

R&D by government agencies has been a failure too. Our so called R&D organizations have spent a lot more, than the output they have given. This task just needs to be handled by private sector.

Nobody things any less of you. Differences in opinion are nothing personal. If everyone agreed then there would be no need to have these boards. I think the only point that MPs try to make is that if someone states something about their profession then it has to be grounded in facts (but differences of opinion are bound to exist).

Thanks ;)

Differences in opinion are the beauty of the world. Otherwise the world would have been a really dull and boring place.

Yes, I think the same too. In my view, the government should start improving educational standards, and give incentives to educated people in all fields. Even, if the government does not care where these scholars fit in, as time progresses, things will automatically improve. Educated brains cannot sit idle, they will keep on thinking of new ideas and implementing them.

R&D by government agencies has been a failure too. Our so called R&D organizations have spent a lot more, than the output they have given. This task just needs to be handled by private sector.

R&D by the government is hardly efficient. This is why the involvement of private sector is important. They are driven by competition...the government run R&D departments have no real incentives aside from the pressure of the end-users (which does not work all the time).

Since GoP has consistently failed in meeting its basic obligations to the nation, I am not too optimistic that we can expect this same government to do anything. The education part will have to be handled by the citizenry. There is absolutely no alternative.

So, the solution is privatization of all such R&D organizations that work under the government, and run them like commercial businesses. Government and Armed Forces should just act like customers.

Back
Top Bottom