What's new

The curious case of Indian Punjabis

The point is that the establishment has the support of the people. had they really been against the actions of the establishment, the establishment would have had a hell of a time staying in place. Other politicians would have been elected and the military rulers working against the wishes of the people wont have lasted as long as they did.

Average indian is against corruption but still majority of our establishment is corrupt......

I am a Punjabi ( hindu/sikh) . I belong to a small town near Amritsar.Last year, I had the opportunity of going to Wagah Border to see the Flag ceremony. The land and people on the either side of the fence were no different.I could not help but wonder why did punjab( Indian) choose to be a part of India rather than Pakistan or Viceversa for Pakistan punjab....Punjab has its own unique culture which is very similar on either side of the fence to the best of my knowledge.

What I do not understand is why a state like Punjab has to be paired up with other places like tamil naidu or assam.I do not speak tamil,do not understand their culture and probably will never go there since we are 2000kms apart from each other.I do respect all the cultures and I think everyone should be proud of their identity.But I find it extremely weird that on one hand punjab is clubbed with Assam which is culturally so different and on the other hand a place which is 90% similar and only 50 miles away i m not allowed to visit.

It is not even a question of religious tolerance as before partition muslim,hindus and sikhs used to live together and still do in India. Even right now there is a town 10 kms away from my place where every sign post or advertisement board is written in urdu...and we live happily together( i cannot read urdu). the elders in my village elders(really old guns) always share their fond memories of pre partition days,Lahore features unequivocally in almost all of these conversations i must say. will visit lahore for sure one day.have to see what is all the hype about.after all its not made of gold.is it.lol

Two years I had to come to canada due to obvious reasons.I met so many people from Punjab(pakistan) and we get along so well.Lahoris are not very fond of Karachiites i learnt.lol

When u think about it India was most prosperous before it was India.............

I agree with you. Punjabis have more in common with our western neighbours than our south-eastern neighbours. All of Punjab should have been united with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Kashmir, Sindh, and Balochistan as one country, this is what Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah wanted but Nehru and Master Tara Singh (who claimed to represent Sikhs) didnt allow it.

Maybe Sikhs can work hard to make a Khalistan out of Punjab (including Himachal Pradesh and Haryana) and we can have open irrevelant borders between Pakistan and Khalistan one day :cheers:

Glad you are realizing that you are absolutely nothing like most of indians.

I agree with you. Punjabis have more in common with our western neighbours than our south-eastern neighbours. All of Punjab should have been united with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Kashmir, Sindh, and Balochistan as one country, this is what Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah wanted but Nehru and Master Tara Singh (who claimed to represent Sikhs) didnt allow it.

Maybe Sikhs can work hard to make a Khalistan out of Punjab (including Himachal Pradesh and Haryana) and we can have open irrevelant borders between Pakistan and Khalistan one day :cheers:

Glad you are realizing that you are absolutely nothing like most of indians.

Yeah just like the open irrelevant borders you have with Afghanistan today that you would, if you could, even mine to kill anyone who tries to cross - innocent or guilty - doesn't matter to you.

Those in Rawalpindi thought exactly the way you do, and look where Pakistan is today. Just act a little longer on it, and soon there won't be any Pakistan.

Yeah just like the open irrelevant borders you have with Afghanistan today that you would, if you could, even mine to kill anyone who tries to cross - innocent or guilty - doesn't matter to you.

Those in Rawalpindi thought exactly the way you do, and look where Pakistan is today. Just act a little longer on it, and soon there won't be any Pakistan.

But he is right about the borders though.

Those borders may change soon. Two decades and one never knows what's in store...

Wishful thinking sonny, there will still be a Pakistan, long after india as a nation has been dead and buried.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

But he is right about the borders though.

Those borders may change soon. Two decades and one never knows what's in store...

What will happen is the indian Punjabi's will leave the indian state. :)

to all indians.. i m from amritsar and live very close to wagha border, i have never seen any signs in urdu and people here neither do love pakistanis nor do they hate them. if some pakistanis speak punjabi we are impressed and see them as brothers n its natural. thats true. but nobody here gives a flying fart about urdu speaking ones.

religion is big thing for us sikhs even to this day. maybe the ones in west have become less religious but indian sikhs/ hindus are very religious

Useless thread!

I strongly believe in the concept of union of India! It is not what we have in common. Well, technically speaking the bordering states have so much in common. Actually we're a Kacchi family (Kachchi is the language that binds Sindhi and Gujarati together and is spoken in both pakistan and india in bordering areas till date) now living in Ahmedabad.

My great grandfather's brother worked lived in Karachi and worked in a paper mill there. He lived there for 40 years almost but on the 7th of August he went to washroom to wash his hands before going for a lunch with his another kachchi best mate. After washing his hands his mate told him "ek minute mein aa raha hun." so my my grandfather's brother went outside and was waiting for him to join him but his mate who thought my me grandpa has already left for lunch said "Mujhe ghin aati hai in manhus hinduon ke sath itna achcha banane ki. Khair abhi to sirf saat din baki rah gaye hai fir in longon ka chehrah kabhi nahin dekhna padenga" and they both laughed. So this is how our people were treated even though after sharing the same language, same culture, same heritage, same clothes, same food. I'm not saying only hindus/sikhs were treated like this. I'm sure Muslims had to go through such things as well.

Why would you say a person living in most eastern state of Manipur has in common with the most western state of Gujarat and why they took Pakistan as their sworn enemy just for the sake three bordering states? They probably have more in common with Myanmar then they do with the most of India? It is the concept of India they binds us together. There is no India without the islands of Andaman and Nikobar or Sikkim!

The very two-nation theory devides us from Pakistan which says Hindus/Muslims can't live together even after sharing so much. Have you heard the saying "Kashi ki kalai gayi, Mathura mein masjib bani. Agar guruji na ho to sab ki sunnat bhai" meaning Kashi mein jo kali thi, mathura mein masjid ban gayi (Babri) agar guruji (Guru Gobind Singh who initiated Khalsa) nahi hote to tere, meri sabki sunnat ho jati thi.

yes bro and even baba farid who was a muslim saint of punjab said.. nah kahu ab keem, naah kahu tabb kee.. agar nah hotay guru gobind singh sunnat hoti sabki...

Useless thread!

I strongly believe in the concept of union of India! It is not what we have in common. Well, technically speaking the bordering states have so much in common. Actually we're a Kacchi family (Kachchi is the language that binds Sindhi and Gujarati together and is spoken in both pakistan and india in bordering areas till date) now living in Ahmedabad.

Buddy, I am a Bihari. During Partition, Sunni Muslims mainly Deobandi from my state choose to stay back in India and mostly Shias migrated to East Pakistan. During 1971 Bangladesh war they sided with Pakistan and after creation of Bangladesh all of them were not given Bangladesh citizenship.

They were branded as traitors in Bangladesh, they wanted to migrate to Pakistan but nobody wanted them in Pakistan. What a mistreated community for their patriotism for Pakistan. Many tried to enter illegally in Pakistan via India and majority of them were shot by Indian and Pakistan rangers. Pakistan had a minister called Naseerullah Babur who openly said,"Until I am a minister, no Bihari will be allowed to enter Pakistan." If someone looks at their houses in refugee camps in Dhaka it resembles more like dirty Chicken-cages.In 1993 some 320 people were allowed to enter Pakistan, most of the people raised black flag in their homes Sindh and attacked by Bomb killing 15 people. I almost laugh when they care about Palestinians and Afghan refugees, talk about Mukti Bahini atrocities on Biharis but no body care or even talk about 40 years of suffering of these stateless Pakistan loving Bihari Muhajirs.

And as a Bihari myself, I feel pity for these people, a large community fooled in the name of Golden future. Those people who deserved to study in School, grown up cleaning gutters because they had no citizenship.

Alas! It is sad to see brothers fight like this even after 50 years. A country divided into two based on religion by a country that used us for their benefit and let us to rot. In the 1800s they asked us to dance, we danced. In 1947, they asked us to fight, and we still fight for them to look down and laugh at us? Pathetic I would say.

What is religion in front of Humanity? Nothing! and yet we fight. We have been fighting the most futile and meaningless battle beginning 1947. Have we lost all of our Humanity! It sickens me to see brothers fighting like this.

Cant we see that we are being taken advantage of? The US and China. Don't we see it? Are we so hellbent on killing our brothers to the amusement of these pathetic beings who wouldn't give second thought to laugh at us for cutting each others veins?

If today, India were to cause harm to Pakistan without a reason, I would stand up against my own country. My country < humanity. Period! If my country going down saves humanity, then so be it. As far as I know, many of my friends wouldn't give a second thought at stand up against our own establishment as well in case we act as savages.

WHY ARE WE STILL FIGHTING! WHY?

yes bro and even baba farid who was a muslim saint of punjab said.. nah kahu ab keem, naah kahu tabb kee.. agar nah hotay guru gobind singh sunnat hoti sabki...

That is incorrect----baba farid died even before guru gobind singh was born so how can baba farid comment on guru gobind singh?

do some research before misguiding people

Back
Top Bottom