What's new

The curious case of Indian Punjabis

raavan

Reaction score
I am a Punjabi ( hindu/sikh) . I belong to a small town near Amritsar.Last year, I had the opportunity of going to Wagah Border to see the Flag ceremony. The land and people on the either side of the fence were no different.I could not help but wonder why did punjab( Indian) choose to be a part of India rather than Pakistan or Viceversa for Pakistan punjab....Punjab has its own unique culture which is very similar on either side of the fence to the best of my knowledge.

What I do not understand is why a state like Punjab has to be paired up with other places like tamil naidu or assam.I do not speak tamil,do not understand their culture and probably will never go there since we are 2000kms apart from each other.I do respect all the cultures and I think everyone should be proud of their identity.But I find it extremely weird that on one hand punjab is clubbed with Assam which is culturally so different and on the other hand a place which is 90% similar and only 50 miles away i m not allowed to visit.

It is not even a question of religious tolerance as before partition muslim,hindus and sikhs used to live together and still do in India. Even right now there is a town 10 kms away from my place where every sign post or advertisement board is written in urdu...and we live happily together( i cannot read urdu). the elders in my village elders(really old guns) always share their fond memories of pre partition days,Lahore features unequivocally in almost all of these conversations i must say. will visit lahore for sure one day.have to see what is all the hype about.after all its not made of gold.is it.lol

Two years I had to come to canada due to obvious reasons.I met so many people from Punjab(pakistan) and we get along so well.Lahoris are not very fond of Karachiites i learnt.lol

When u think about it India was most prosperous before it was India.............

I am a Punjabi ( hindu/sikh) . I belong to a small town near Amritsar.Last year, I had the opportunity of going to Wagah Border to see the Flag ceremony. The land and people on the either side of the fence were no different.I could not help but wonder why did punjab( Indian) choose to be a part of India rather than Pakistan or Viceversa for Pakistan punjab....Punjab has its own unique culture which is very similar on either side of the fence to the best of my knowledge.

What I do not understand is why a state like Punjab has to be paired up with other places like tamil naidu or assam.I do not speak tamil,do not understand their culture and probably will never go there since we are 2000kms apart from each other.I do respect all the cultures and I think everyone should be proud of their identity.But I find it extremely weird that on one hand punjab is clubbed with Assam which is culturally so different and on the other hand a place which is 90% similar and only 50 miles away i m not allowed to visit.

It is not even a question of religious tolerance as before partition muslim,hindus and sikhs used to live together and still do in India. Even right now there is a town 10 kms away from my place where every sign post or advertisement board is written in urdu...and we live happily together( i cannot read urdu). the elders in my village elders(really old guns) always share their fond memories of pre partition days,Lahore features unequivocally in almost all of these conversations i must say. will visit lahore for sure one day.have to see what is all the hype about.after all its not made of gold.is it.lol

Two years I had to come to canada due to obvious reasons.I met so many people from Punjab(pakistan) and we get along so well.Lahoris are not very fond of Karachiites i learnt.lol

When u think about it India was most prosperous before it was India.............

You are most welcome friend.

BTW i'm from Karachi & that fondness is only inside Pakistan, outside we all are one Pakistani.

American Pakistani is here,,,Now what????

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

^^^^Me too is a karachiites..

Yeah it bothers me too, when I see Punjabis singing old romance tunes when they were the first ones to lap up Partition and on either side indulged in horrific massacres like barbariians.

States like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra ,Orissa ,Maharashtra etc which had no say in Partition took up Pakistan to be an enemy without any question just for the sake of those involved in Partition trauma - even though we ourselves had no previous history with them . Now actually pisses me off to no end when I see the same people ,for whom we took on the enemies, singing honeymoon tunes for each other. Do you guys think we are fools ?

Above is emotional and heartfelt and I agree with gounder. Op should remind himself , that the partition was done on religious basis (there is separate thread on that yesterday) and in spite of commOn culture your religion is different from theirs. So you are different unless they convert back to Hinduism. So you ( Indian punjus) have committed to throw in your lot with the rest of India who have decided to stand united.

well ask master Tara Singh, AIML had categorically denied the partition of Punjab and Bengal but anyhow it happened... let bygones be bygones.

let our relation be developed on the lines of Canada and USA as visualized by Jinnah, thats all I can say...

What is the point intended to be made in this post ?

The fact that Punjab & Assam are together in India or the fact that you cannot visit a place 10 km away that speaks the same language as you do.

Or any other point ?

What are you trying to say you making no sense to me why you taking so much crap? You think my grandfather wanted to leave Lahore and had a choice? are you even Indian ?

Yeah it bothers me too, when I see Punjabis singing old romance tunes when they were the first ones to lap up Partition and on either side indulged in horrific massacres like barbariians.

States like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra ,Orissa ,Maharashtra etc which had no say in Partition took up Pakistan to be an enemy without any question just for the sake of those involved in Partition trauma - even though we ourselves had no previous history with them . Now actually pisses me off to no end when I see the same people ,for whom we took on the enemies, singing honeymoon tunes for each other. Do you guys think we are fools ?
People responsible for partition , nehru and gandhi were not punjabis.Sikhs(punjabis) were not very well represented in political clout at that point so they had to accept what came their way.

Ur second point is so illogical my friend. I do not ask you to take up anyone as enemies on our behalf .Using ur rational hindus will be the biggest enemies of sikh since some hindus were involved in butchering thousands of innocent sikhs all over India in 1984.so should i consider all of Hindus my enemies???open ur eyers plz

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

What is the point intended to be made in this post ?

The fact that Punjab & Assam are together in India or the fact that you cannot visit a place 10 km away that speaks the same language as you do.

Or any other point ?

the same point

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Didn't quite get that statement. Are you offended that Punjab is paired with those states?

not offended at all.........

So are you saying that you would rather be with Pakistani punjab rather than India? Also pls realize that if you have free access to Islamic Punjab they will flood Indian Punjab with separatist terrorists and spread terror to rest of India. So the option Indian Punjab has is to join Pakistan or be in India. I think they have made right choice
People responsible for partition , nehru and gandhi were not punjabis.Sikhs(punjabis) were not very well represented in political clout at that point so they had to accept what came their way.

Ur second point is so illogical my friend. I do not ask you to take up anyone as enemies on our behalf .Using ur rational hindus will be the biggest enemies of sikh since some hindus were involved in butchering thousands of innocent sikhs all over India in 1984.so should i consider all of Hindus my enemies???open ur eyers plz

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

the same point

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

not offended at all.........

May be Jinnah and Nehru should answer your question !
I don't understand whats wrong with indians. on one hand you people claim to be the biggest democracy and then you people still have problem in accepting the 1946 election results, now don't ask me what were the results and what came out of it.
dear Indians, People voted for Pakistan and partition of punjab and bengal, now please accept the democratic right. i know Indians just cann't accept the partition of their great Bharat mata but its done and there is no chance of any reunion thing. Please spare us pakistanis and our country.
Sorry but i just cann't tolerate anymore of these partition related threads. had enough. its done so please leave it as it is, there is no time machine that can reverse the reality.

Then why did you butcher each other like there is no tomorrow ? Why didn't you two (Punjabi Muslims and Punjabi Sikhs/Hindus) put up a united front and ask Jinnah and Nehru to go pleasure themselves ?

The truth is you could not stand the sight of each other at that time and went on a rampage when you heard the word 'go'.

Again my question - if you two - Punjabi Sikhs/Hindus and Punjabi Muslims - are two big chums who were separated by evil Nehru and Jinnah why agree to Partition ? Atleast you could have saved us (those who were not involved in Partition) from making enemies and suffer terror attacks and wars for your sake.

And yeah now you can be the big man and say wee did not ask you to make enemies - but that was incumbent on us , Indians, once you threw in your lot with us. Dont you get that simple concept ?

In this regard I like the Bengalis -they suffered as much as the Punjabis during Partition..But even though they share a cultural affinity even now they don't give a shyt to these senile romances and have moved on.

And yeah if you find living with a Tamil or an Assamese peculiar please you can move on to the land of your chums.

Back
Top Bottom