What's new

The curious case of Indian Punjabis

I am a Punjabi ( hindu/sikh) . I belong to a small town near Amritsar.Last year, I had the opportunity of going to Wagah Border to see the Flag ceremony. The land and people on the either side of the fence were no different.I could not help but wonder why did punjab( Indian) choose to be a part of India rather than Pakistan or Viceversa for Pakistan punjab....Punjab has its own unique culture which is very similar on either side of the fence to the best of my knowledge.

What I do not understand is why a state like Punjab has to be paired up with other places like tamil naidu or assam.I do not speak tamil,do not understand their culture and probably will never go there since we are 2000kms apart from each other.I do respect all the cultures and I think everyone should be proud of their identity.But I find it extremely weird that on one hand punjab is clubbed with Assam which is culturally so different and on the other hand a place which is 90% similar and only 50 miles away i m not allowed to visit.

It is not even a question of religious tolerance as before partition muslim,hindus and sikhs used to live together and still do in India. Even right now there is a town 10 kms away from my place where every sign post or advertisement board is written in urdu...and we live happily together( i cannot read urdu). the elders in my village elders(really old guns) always share their fond memories of pre partition days, Lahore features unequivocally in almost all of these conversations i must say. will visit lahore for sure one day.have to see what is all the hype about.after all its not made of gold.is it.lol

Two years I had to come to canada due to obvious reasons.I met so many people from Punjab(pakistan) and we get along so well. Lahoris are not very fond of Karachiites i learnt.lol

When u think about it India was most prosperous before it was India.............

Basically Pakistan and Pakistani Punjab chose Islam first, the Punjabis chose two nation theory, that muslims cant live with Hindus and hence thw division..if like Bengalis who prefer ethnicity first....Punjabis would have chosen Punjabistan....Pakistan would not have come.

Second, India Hindus promised Khalistan for Sikh Punjabis, so Sikhs were tune to sikhism more than ethnicity...had the promised filled maybe Kahlistan & Pak Punjab joined together to form a new Punjabistan but it never happenend...hence we are we are now.

Back
Top Bottom