What's new

The better growth model - India or China

Götterdämmerung;3770322 said:
All developed economies were non-democratic during their industrialisation.

So, Britain isn't a developed economy or it never went thru industrialisation (?)... because we all know when the Glorious Revolution happened.

Eh.. someone said, Britain was the cradle of industrial revolution..

hehe... don't preach dictatorships to democracies. :laugh:
preferably preach democracy to your motherland (the original one).

So, Britain isn't a developed economy or it never went thru industrialisation (?)... because we all know when the Glorious Revolution happened.

Did you see the verb in past tense "were"?

The UK became democratic long after they became industrialised. Industrialisation started around 1760 and by 1840 the UK was already industrialised, much earlier than continental Europe but it was not unitl WWI that the UK became fully democratic. So, the UK was not democratic when it was in the process to industrialise.

Although Germany started industrialisation later than the UK, but we caught up very fast and after the fall of the empire we, too, became democratic (Weimar Republic), unfortunately it was a very flawed one without many who supported the idea of democracy and thus ended with the desaster, which was Hitler. And the rest is history.

Götterdämmerung;3770322 said:
That cannot work. All developed economies were non-democratic during their industrialisation.

Blah,What happened to United States Einstein??

Götterdämmerung;3771166 said:
How was the US democratic when only men with land were first allowed to vote and it was not until the 1960s that blacks were given full voting rights?

Voting rights in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't matter,They had a democratic process from the beginning and under that they become industrialized.
BTW,All Black men(who were literate in some Southern states) were given suffrage back in 1870 under the Fifteenth Amendment of US constituition.

Doesn't matter,They had a democratic process from the beginning and under that they become industrialized.
BTW,All Black men(who were literate in some Southern states) were given suffrage back in 1870 under the Fifteenth Amendment of US constituition.

Sorry, for me it's either equal rights for all within a country, or it's not democratic. Don't give me the word "some"! Some means some have more rights than others, it's not different than some an authocracy where also some have more rights than others.

Götterdämmerung;3771226 said:
Sorry, for me it's either equal rights for all within a country, or it's not democratic. Don't give me the word "some"! Some means some have more rights than others, it's not different than some an authocracy where also some have more rights than others.

As if your opinion really matters.Evolution of modern democracy is a work in progress.It still has a long way to go.And learn what autocracy means.An Autocracy is run by only one man it doesn't have any voting.

Actually, black Americans only gained free voting rights in 1965. It was at that point that they became a full democracy.

1965 Voting Rights Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas America became a superpower in 1945, and was a developed country long before that.

Actually, black Americans only gained free voting rights in 1965.

Voting Rights Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas America became a superpower in 1945, and was a developed country long before that.

No,XV Amendment granted Black men right to vote back in 1870.Voting rights act was only meant to affirm that and to remove the loopholes holes that allowed some states to deny suffrage to poor minorities.
Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British develops through imperialism, they grab huge amount of fortune from British Empire land and industrialise their country. In story of British India, British brought Black men to US as slaves, are there any democracy ? Give me one single example any country got developed through non-autocracy strategies ? I am not offensive on democracy, but I do believe that in early stage, a centralised power system is more feasible. In the beginning, a lot of non-sense activity should be avoided.

No,XV Amendment granted Black men right to vote back in 1870.Voting rights act was only meant to affirm that and to remove the loopholes holes that allowed some states to deny suffrage to poor minorities.
Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah "technically". But in PRACTICE the majority of blacks could not vote, which is why they needed the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

They put a lot of stupid restrictions on black voters, for example saying that they must be literate and/or able to prove that they own land/property. Which back then, disqualified all but a few percent of black Americans.

Here is the definition of a Democracy: "Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives."

If an entire section of the population (blacks) only had free and fair rights to vote after 1965, then that is the year in which America became a full democracy. Which was at least 2 decades after they had become a superpower, and a very long time since after they had become a developed nation.

All the major powers today were not democracies during their early development phase. They became democracies after they developed. In the modern era, the question is... can you "skip" to a full democracy at the start, and still become a developed country? Only time will tell.

Götterdämmerung;3771226 said:

I totally agree with that, using half and half as an argument point is just BS. When people stand in the middle of the fence nothing ever gets done.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom