What's new

Tesla's Model S P85D is so good it broke Consumer Reports' rating system 103 out of 100

I'm sure the rising cost of oil was one of their major selling points. But they really were pushing the whole shebang of US getting tied up in Middle East wars simply due to reliance on foreign oil. They will probably do the shale oil is just bad for the environment.

But more likely they will push that electric is simply a natural progression over "dirty" oil no matter where it is from or what the cost. Stressing their car significantly outperforms a typical gas engine is their new selling mantra. (Which I don't recall when they first were selling them)

That approach will work with a select few, but the majority of the people will remain with conventional technology vehicles unless something changes the landscape drastically.

That approach will work with a select few, but the majority of the people will remain with conventional technology vehicles unless something changes the landscape drastically.

It's just like LED light bulbs vs incandescents or LCD vs cathode ray tubes..the writing is on the wall...it's just a
matter of when.

It's just like LED light bulbs vs incandescents or LCD vs cathode ray tubes..the writing is on the wall...it's just a
matter of when.

To use your analogy, only if the 100 watt bulbs are declared illegal and the price drops, So when are SUVs going to be banned? :D

To use your analogy, only if the 100 watt bulbs are declared illegal and the price drops, So when are SUVs going to be banned? :D

Certainly the 100W/75W and later 60W "ban" was very extreme (although technically you can still find them). I stocked up myself before the ban not wanting to fork over $20 for a lightbulb.

Will they do that with a $20K+ item...unlikely.

I agree.

And that nonstop power feel of an all electric can be put in a conventional gasoline car with a half decent CVT (that will even counter a not so good variable valve train system). So there goes that torque advantage of an electric as well. Soon all of the car makers will adopt the CVT and the 6 decade old auto transmission tech will be phased out too most likely...

Certainly the 100W/75W and later 60W "ban" was very extreme (although technically you can still find them). I stocked up myself before the ban not wanting to fork over $20 for a lightbulb.

what about electric car subsidies ?

Exactly my point. Unless the green ecowarriors mess with the law, the market by itself will not favor Tesla for quite a long time yet.

I agree.

And that nonstop power feel of an all electric can be put in a conventional gasoline car with a half decent CVT (that will even counter a not so good variable valve train system). So there goes that torque advantage of an electric as well. Soon all of the car makers will adopt the CVT and the 6 decade old auto transmission tech will be phased out too most likely...

It is not just the torque. When there is a Tesla that can do the work of the good ol' Murrikan pickup truck with its range and durability, only then is there a chance of widespread adoption.

Last edited:
Interested in Model 3 whenever it comes out. Even though Model S is heavy on the pocket I almost see three to four everyday while commuting to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom