What's new

Teesta woes for farmers

1. Bangladesh is getting less than 20% of total water, now it is upto how you want to term it.
2. talking about WB ? WB is not meant to have much teesta water, teesta flows largely in BD, you are diverting water and taking it to WB , go check google map of teesta water slow before say something
Did you think I was here without any knowledge on this issue?? :coffee:
Just a reminder you mentioned me here...so you should also be ready to face what I reply:sick:

Btw more than anything else it shows your government's incompetency in getting Teesta treaty signed.

@Roybot
where art thou???

well in that case you should not mind that if other say Indians are dirty ppl which is really the fact, right ?
How does that make us bad?

We should work this out you know. You are going to get drowned and we are short of water. Now what does that point to?

If we dont steal the water, then your drowning will be much sooner than expected.

We are doing all we can to save you bro. After all, we always care of what we create, don't we?

Commandment are is the area around water system which benefits from the river.BD did cheating by artificially increasing the commandment area lol
around the water system right ? now check the map of natural flow of teesta then count the area. the teesta water system went through bd to bay of bengal, now count them.

How does that make us bad?

We should work this out you know. You are going to get drowned and we are short of water. Now what does that point to?

If we dont steal the water, then your drowning will be much sooner than expected.

We are doing all we can to save you bro. After all, we always care of what we create, don't we?
nothing makes you bad when that is what you are. get the sanitation first.

2. talking about WB ? WB is not meant to have much teesta water, teesta flows largely in BD, you are diverting water and taking it to WB , go check google map of teesta water flow before say something

Dont lie :no::no:
around the water system right ? now check the map of natural flow of teesta then count the area. the teesta water system went through bd to bay of bengal, now count them.
Yeah India holds 85% of the commandment area and BD only 15% of it.

Did you think I was here without any knowledge on this issue?? :coffee:
Just a reminder you mentioned me here...so you should also be ready to face what I reply:sick:
lol yea kinda lack in knowledge on this issue you have sis :)

Dont lie :no::no:

Yeah India holds 85% of the commandment area and BD only 15% of it.
really ? show me the picture of teesta river

nothing makes you bad when that is what you are. get the sanitation first.
Bingo!

We are stealing the water to fix the sanitation issue actually. Our Parliament has passed the resolution that only BD water will be used to flush waste:lol:

1. Bangladesh is getting less than 20% of total water, now it is upto how you want to term it.
2. talking about WB ? WB is not meant to have much teesta water, teesta flows largely in BD, you are diverting water and taking it to WB , go check google map of teesta water flow before say something

You guys are pathological liars making fake stories.

lol yea kinda lack in knowledge on this issue you have sis :)

really ? show me the picture of teesta river
I have source for claim of commandment area.Let me dig it.

Tessta river has a length of 300 km out of which 60% flows through India and 40% through BD.(Dont have source for this,that is what other Bengalis are saying)

@BDforever You can only read the full article only if you have acess to paid journals. Thansk to @Roybot

What is minimally needed, he insists, is an interim sharing agreement[SUP]9[/SUP]
Coming to any such agreement is, however, far from simple. In 1983, at the 25th meeting of the JRC, India and Bangladesh did reach an ad hoc agreement on the Teesta. The agreement gave India 39% of the water, Bangladesh 36%, leaving the remaining 25% unallocated or “for the river”. Valid up to 31 December 1985, it was further extended to 31 December 1987. It was entirely a paper agreement, however, never implemented. Moreover, of precisely what—or how, when, or where—these percentages were to be taken was never specified.

Bangladesh, according to officials in Dhaka, currently claims 20% of the dry season flow for the river, the balance (80%) to be split evenly (40/40%) by India and Bangladesh. This has been resisted by the Indian side, which maintains that 85% of the Teesta’s command area, the agricultural land served by the river, is in India and only 15% in Bangladesh (Kumar,2005).

The water, say the Indians, should be shared on this basis. The Indian formula, promoted in
meetings of the JEC, has been to leave 10% of the dry season flow to the river, with the remaining 90% split 17% to Bangladesh, 83% to India. This converts to a dry season formula of 10% for the river, 75% for India, 15% for Bangladesh
—a formula that Bangladesh water experts, taking into account not only the precedent-setting implications of any such formula, but also the country’s future needs for sustaining fisheries, navigation, biodiversity, domestic fresh water supply and future industrial uses, consider unacceptable.

Not to be found wanting in resourcefulness, Bangladesh water officials have responded to the Indian formula with an imaginative one of their own. It proposes that a new concept—that of the Teesta Dependent Area (TDA)—be factored into the water-sharing formula. According to this reconceptualization of water entitlements based on space satellite imaging of earth contours and other physical aspects of the Teesta catchment area, Bangladesh emerges with a TDA of 1,800,000 hectares and India with only 1,100,000 hectares. Needless to say, this novel approach has not won any followerson the Indian side of the border. At the JRC’s 36th meeting in September 2005, the Teesta

Water Policy 9:3 (2007) 231-251 - Robert G. Wirsing and Christopher Jasparro - River rivalry: water disputes, resource insecurity and diplomatic deadlock in South Asia

I have source for claim of commandment area.Let me dig it.

Tessta river has a length of 300 km out of which 60% flows through India and 40% through BD.(Dont have source for this,that is what other Bengalis are saying)
our source is way better than your times of india type claim, 309 km teesta river, now show me how you get 60% when it flown near of chicken neck area and then entered BD LOL

You guys are pathological liars making fake stories.
ok times of india reader LOL

our source is way better than your times of india type claim, 309 km teesta river, now show me how you get 60% when it flown near of chicken neck area and then entered BD LOL
See i dont have source for the above claim but i have already provided source for the other claim i have made.Read my above post.

Look who is talking :coffee:
exactly LOL

See i dont have source for the above claim but i have already provided source for the other claim i have made.Read my above post.
now you check difference between past and present India's claim acoording to your post LOL

note: 20% water must flow according to its nature to keep the river alive.

Last edited:
exactly LOL

now you check difference between past and present India's claim acoording to your post LOL
I dont have time now.I will argue with you later.Btw i cant find any dissimilarities.Post it and i will read it when i will get time.

This is a good read.
Why Mamata may be right on Teesta | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

No.50-50 Split is not the right way to share water.River water is shared according to natural commandment area.India has 85% hold of commandment area that means India should get 85% of what is left after river flow.
What BD did is increased the commanded area by Teesta barrage1 and now want to calaculate things by keeping in account that artificially increased commandment area.
So we told BD to stop and constructed 23 more dams so that we can increase commandment area and then calculate formula used by BD's lol
Read the thread posted by Dray.It pretty much sums up everything.

Add to that, Teesta merges into river Brahmaputra after a short run inside BD, it doesn't go all the way to sea, so it doesn't even need extra water for river flow.

Last edited:
India holds roughly 10,000 Sq Kms of natural catchment area where as Bangladesh holds around 2000 Sq Kms of the same. So for the moment even if the 40% share each (apart from the 20% for maintaining natural flow) looks a quite unfair for India. But at the same time the number of stake holders related to irrigation are almost thrice in Bangladesh compared to India due to the vast contrast in geography. So the best solution is both the countries sit together again and start a fresh discourse on the issue which could be acceptable to both the parties.

Back
Top Bottom