Country
Pakistan

Tea stuck at port, shortage looms​

Pakistanis said to sip away around 250m kilograms of imported tea annually

Correspondent
February 02, 2023

747351-dsc__tea_cupcopy-1407778080.jpg

KARACHI:
Despite the State Bank of Pakistan's (SBP) permission to clear the containers at the port of raw materials and essential goods, thousands of containers remain stranded, including hundreds of containers of tea.

This situation has given rise to fears of shortage akin to that of raw materials, pulses and other food items, with tea expected to added to the list.

In this regard, the former chairman of the Pakistan Tea Association Muhammad Shoaib Paracha said that there were concrete fears of a severe shortage and an increase in prices in the coming days.

“The main reason for the expected tea shortage is the 250 tea containers at the ports till now,” said Paracha who is also member of the FPCCI Executive Committee.

The State Bank allowed the import of containers in Chapters 84, 85 and 87, but it is not clear whether tea leaf is included in it, he continued.

Paracha said that after protests by traders, the State Bank allowed the release of containers on late payment after 180 days, but tea leaf sellers are not allowing late payment.

Due to this, it is feared that sellers would not take orders in future.

This has made the situation more complicated.

He said that due to the non-availability of dollars in commercial banks, demurrage and container fares of millions of rupees have been imposed on importers so far.

"One of the main reasons for the shortage is the absence of a longterm policy by the government," he maintained.
Paracha added that tea is a basic ingredient that every common man consumes.

The demand for tea is around 250 million kilograms annually.

The depreciation of the rupee last week has caused an average difference of Rs110 in the per kg price of tea.
He said that with no clear policy for new imports, the supply chain can be severely affected.

Tea stuck at port, shortage looms​

Pakistanis said to sip away around 250m kilograms of imported tea annually

Correspondent
February 02, 2023

747351-dsc__tea_cupcopy-1407778080.jpg

KARACHI: Despite the State Bank of Pakistan's (SBP) permission to clear the containers at the port of raw materials and essential goods, thousands of containers remain stranded, including hundreds of containers of tea.

This situation has given rise to fears of shortage akin to that of raw materials, pulses and other food items, with tea expected to added to the list.

In this regard, the former chairman of the Pakistan Tea Association Muhammad Shoaib Paracha said that there were concrete fears of a severe shortage and an increase in prices in the coming days.

“The main reason for the expected tea shortage is the 250 tea containers at the ports till now,” said Paracha who is also member of the FPCCI Executive Committee.

The State Bank allowed the import of containers in Chapters 84, 85 and 87, but it is not clear whether tea leaf is included in it, he continued.

Paracha said that after protests by traders, the State Bank allowed the release of containers on late payment after 180 days, but tea leaf sellers are not allowing late payment.

Due to this, it is feared that sellers would not take orders in future.

This has made the situation more complicated.

He said that due to the non-availability of dollars in commercial banks, demurrage and container fares of millions of rupees have been imposed on importers so far.

"One of the main reasons for the shortage is the absence of a longterm policy by the government," he maintained.
Paracha added that tea is a basic ingredient that every common man consumes.

The demand for tea is around 250 million kilograms annually.

The depreciation of the rupee last week has caused an average difference of Rs110 in the per kg price of tea.
He said that with no clear policy for new imports, the supply chain can be severely affected.

This is great news seeing as this is the fav beverage of the military leadership. Now we should see a big offensive than D Day to free Pakistan from evil clutches.

This is great news seeing as this is the fav beverage of the military leadership. Now we should see a big offensive than D Day to free Pakistan from evil clutches.
As you know, sir. Items like tea which are cannot be considered luxury but are commonplace enough have a direct affect on the morale. So, I think an exception will and should be made in the interests of national security and to keep the morale high.

As you know, sir. Items like tea which are cannot be considered luxury but are commonplace enough have a direct affect on the morale. So, I think an exception will and should be made in the interests of national security and to keep the morale high.

Yeah but uncomfortable as it will be, people can still live without tea.

The real quesiton is what is happening to oil. Is that still coming in?

"Milk contains 12 grams of sugar per cup – and that holds true whether we're talking about whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk or skim milk."

That is the key we get fat. We eat roti, followed by sugar-loaded tea. Overall, one cup goes to 5 teaspoons of sugar. (12g = 2.4 teaspoon)
@fna

This is good news with all the bad news pouring in, need to save the precious money and stop the extravagance of imported items.

Yeah but uncomfortable as it will be, people can still live without tea.

The real quesiton is what is happening to oil. Is that still coming in?
I don't think so. I read a statement by anonymous oil companies official saying there's only stock for 2 weeks and LC aren't being issued even for petrolium. Back on Sunday, I spent 45 mins in line for petrol.

Haven't left the house since then but I think it was due to people wanting to get their tanks filled before the 35rs/litre price hike next day. That's common. smaller petrol pumps shut down to get a better margin the next day. I got it at the main petrol station in the area, and they were capping at 1000PKR i.e. 4 litre for motorcycle.

Good standup comedy line.
Comedy that's being played out here right now, mind you.

"Milk contains 12 grams of sugar per cup – and that holds true whether we're talking about whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk or skim milk."

That is the key we get fat. We eat roti, followed by sugar-loaded tea. Overall, one cup goes to 5 teaspoons of sugar. (12g = 2.4 teaspoon)
@fna
agreed. but that sugar is not simple sugar. the one we add is worse. but hey maybe a babus revolt if no office chai :p:
will start demanding chai no-pani from army wallahs before signing their checks. :-)

If someone does wanna give up sugar, try Dr Hymans sugar detox. It worked for me, as a former sweet tooth. that craving for sugar goes away. Sugar the legal white stuff.

Back
Top Bottom