What's new

Tannishtha Chatterjee gets hit by 'dark skin' slur on TV show, channel calls it unfortunate

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
By
Lopamudra Ghatak
, ECONOMICTIMES.COM|
Sep 28, 2016, 03.00 PM IST
its-2016-and-parched-actress-tannishtha-chatterjee-gets-hit-by-dark-skin-slur-on-tv-show-channel-calls-it-unfortunate.jpg

Related
Who says Indians aren't racist?

Actress Tannishtha Chatterjee, who stars in the critically-acclaimed 'Parched that released last week, was at the receiving end of racist slurs when she appeared on popular TV show 'Çomedy Nights Bachao'. Offended, the actress walked out of the show after she was trolled for her dark skin.

In a strongly-worded Facebook post, the 35-year-old actress gave vent to her feelings. In her post, she mentions that while she was told in advance that the show follows the American 'roast' or insult comedy format, she was unprepared for the 'bullying' about her skin tone that she faced while being on the show.

Color
Something has shocked me out of my wits yesterday. I was invited as a guest to a popular comedy show called comedy night bachao to promote my latest release Parched with my director Leena yadav and my co-actor Radhika Apte. I was told that the flavor of the show is COMEDY and the purpose is to roast, humor, and offend. My perception of roast was formed by all the SNLs I watched over the years, and the commonly held perception that a roast is a celebratory humour at someone’s expense . It is a mock counter to a toast.

Tannishtha Chatterjee
10 hours ago

I was actually looking forward to be roasted.
And then this show began. And this was an entirely novel understanding of roast that equates itself with bullying. And to my utmost horror, I soon realized that the only quality they found worth roasting about in me was my skin tone. It began with “ aap ko jamun bahut pasand hoga zaroor… kitna jamun khaya aapne bachpan se?” And went on in that direction… the only thing they could roast about a dark-skinned actress was of course her dark skin. They could identify me only with that. I could not believe I was sitting in a nationally televised comedy show in 2016 in Mumbai amid such regressive( I cant call it humor), and blatantly racist content. Though I was feeling suffocated, I decided to give it another chance, and sat through another equally offensive segment. Nothing changed. I could not sit there anymore. I had to leave. When I told the organisers what I felt, they said , “But we told you it is a roast!”I explained to them the common perception of roast and how it is different from bully. That there is no humor value in a joke about some ones physical attributes especially one that stems from deep prejudices. I don’t think they got it. Some friends also told me don’t take it so seriously, it’s just a comedy. I think that’s what the show also thinks. It’s all fun and games! Except there is nothing funny about this. Precisely because -In a country where we still sell fair n lovely/handsome and show adverts, where people don’t get jobs because of their complexion, where every matrimonial advert demands a fair bride or groom and the color bias is so strong, in a society which has a deep-seated problem with dark skin, which also has deep roots in our caste system , in a country where dark skin is marginalized, making fun of it is not roast. Even considering that dark skin is a joke comes from that very deep prejudice. And I tried to explain why this is not personal and it is a larger issue about what our mindset is. And why cracking jokes about deep biases in our society is irresponsible. And that it is not a question about apologizing to me, but propagating this idea and continuing with this mindset in the name of comedy is what is hugely problematic, specially because it is a popular show on a nationalized Chanel. It has nothing to do with the show at a personal level. But it leads to a larger debate. Why does skin tone still lend itself to jokes? How is it funny to call someone dark? I don’t get it.. In a India of 2016 I still have to be apologetic about my skin tone? What is this white-skin hangover? Where does all our pride as a nation go away when it comes to the acceptance that most of us have a darker skin tone? Once I was asked “ Your surname is Chatterjee? Oh you are Brahmin.. What is your mothers surname? Maitra! Oh…. She is Brahmin too…” And then indirectly he hinted how is my skin tone still dark… ? This is so deep rooted and linked to our perceptions of caste, class and skin tone. Upper caste =Fair skin =touchable. Lower caste=dark skin=untouchable. Yes I have pronounced it. Probably most of us will not admit to our hatred for the dark skin also comes from our caste bias. I made a film called Parched. Why I am saying “I made” is because all of us who are a part of this film feel that this was not just a film for us. That its MY FILM. We wanted to express a lot of things about gender, body, skin , sexuality , caste etc through our stories. It has been a revelation that the journey just begins here as we realise through our promotional process that we are constantly subjected to exactly those issues from which this film was engendered. The list is long long and the biases are deep deep….The privilege that allows these are what we had hoped to challenge.

"To my utmost horror, I soon realized that the only quality they found worth roasting about in me was my skin tone. It began with "aap ko jamun bahut pasand hoga zaroor, kitna jamun khaya aapne bachpan se?" And went on in that direction. I could not believe I was sitting in a nationally televised comedy show in 2016 in Mumbai amid such regressive (I can't call it humour), and blatantly racist content," she writes in a post that has seen over 300 shares.

Chatterjee, while "feeling suffocated", sat through the first segment of the shoot and decided to give it another chance. However, when the tenor remained unchanged, she decided that she could "not sit there anymore … and had to leave…"

In her post, she further writes that when she reached out to the organisers, they told her that it was a part of the "roast" format. "I explained to them the common perception of roast and how it is different from bully. That there is no humour value in a joke about someone's physical attributes especially one that stems from deep prejudices," she writes.

Incidentally, 'Parched' directed by Leena Yadav, portrays the various societal biases still prevalent including that of skin colour.

Meanwhile, Colors TV issued an apology on the issue:

colors.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...skin-slur-on-tv-show/articleshow/54562692.cms

Ironic given the channel is called COLORS.

Regardless, what do you expect when the best selling cream in India is 'Fair and Lovely'. It's a country obsessed with being fair. Just look at Indian movies and television shows: 99% of the folks are light-skinned. The only dark-skinned people seems to be servants, villains, and bit players.

It's a form of racism.

By
Lopamudra Ghatak
, ECONOMICTIMES.COM|
its-2016-and-parched-actress-tannishtha-chatterjee-gets-hit-by-dark-skin-slur-on-tv-show-channel-calls-it-unfortunate.jpg

Related

Actress Tannishtha Chatterjee, who stars in the critically-acclaimed 'Parched that released last week, was at the receiving end of racist slurs when she appeared on popular TV show 'Çomedy Nights Bachao'. Offended, the actress walked out of the show after she was trolled for her dark skin.

In a strongly-worded Facebook post, the 35-year-old actress gave vent to her feelings. In her post, she mentions that while she was told in advance that the show follows the American 'roast' or insult comedy format, she was unprepared for the 'bullying' about her skin tone that she faced while being on the show.

Color
Something has shocked me out of my wits yesterday. I was invited as a guest to a popular comedy show called comedy night bachao to promote my latest release Parched with my director Leena yadav and my co-actor Radhika Apte. I was told that the flavor of the show is COMEDY and the purpose is to roast, humor, and offend. My perception of roast was formed by all the SNLs I watched over the years, and the commonly held perception that a roast is a celebratory humour at someone’s expense . It is a mock counter to a toast.

Tannishtha Chatterjee
10 hours ago

And then this show began. And this was an entirely novel understanding of roast that equates itself with bullying. And to my utmost horror, I soon realized that the only quality they found worth roasting about in me was my skin tone. It began with “ aap ko jamun bahut pasand hoga zaroor… kitna jamun khaya aapne bachpan se?” And went on in that direction… the only thing they could roast about a dark-skinned actress was of course her dark skin. They could identify me only with that. I could not believe I was sitting in a nationally televised comedy show in 2016 in Mumbai amid such regressive( I cant call it humor), and blatantly racist content. Though I was feeling suffocated, I decided to give it another chance, and sat through another equally offensive segment. Nothing changed. I could not sit there anymore. I had to leave. When I told the organisers what I felt, they said , “But we told you it is a roast!”I explained to them the common perception of roast and how it is different from bully. That there is no humor value in a joke about some ones physical attributes especially one that stems from deep prejudices. I don’t think they got it. Some friends also told me don’t take it so seriously, it’s just a comedy. I think that’s what the show also thinks. It’s all fun and games! Except there is nothing funny about this. Precisely because -In a country where we still sell fair n lovely/handsome and show adverts, where people don’t get jobs because of their complexion, where every matrimonial advert demands a fair bride or groom and the color bias is so strong, in a society which has a deep-seated problem with dark skin, which also has deep roots in our caste system , in a country where dark skin is marginalized, making fun of it is not roast. Even considering that dark skin is a joke comes from that very deep prejudice. And I tried to explain why this is not personal and it is a larger issue about what our mindset is. And why cracking jokes about deep biases in our society is irresponsible. And that it is not a question about apologizing to me, but propagating this idea and continuing with this mindset in the name of comedy is what is hugely problematic, specially because it is a popular show on a nationalized Chanel. It has nothing to do with the show at a personal level. But it leads to a larger debate. Why does skin tone still lend itself to jokes? How is it funny to call someone dark? I don’t get it.. In a India of 2016 I still have to be apologetic about my skin tone? What is this white-skin hangover? Where does all our pride as a nation go away when it comes to the acceptance that most of us have a darker skin tone? Once I was asked “ Your surname is Chatterjee? Oh you are Brahmin.. What is your mothers surname? Maitra! Oh…. She is Brahmin too…” And then indirectly he hinted how is my skin tone still dark… ? This is so deep rooted and linked to our perceptions of caste, class and skin tone. Upper caste =Fair skin =touchable. Lower caste=dark skin=untouchable. Yes I have pronounced it. Probably most of us will not admit to our hatred for the dark skin also comes from our caste bias. I made a film called Parched. Why I am saying “I made” is because all of us who are a part of this film feel that this was not just a film for us. That its MY FILM. We wanted to express a lot of things about gender, body, skin , sexuality , caste etc through our stories. It has been a revelation that the journey just begins here as we realise through our promotional process that we are constantly subjected to exactly those issues from which this film was engendered. The list is long long and the biases are deep deep….The privilege that allows these are what we had hoped to challenge.

"To my utmost horror, I soon realized that the only quality they found worth roasting about in me was my skin tone. It began with "aap ko jamun bahut pasand hoga zaroor, kitna jamun khaya aapne bachpan se?" And went on in that direction. I could not believe I was sitting in a nationally televised comedy show in 2016 in Mumbai amid such regressive (I can't call it humour), and blatantly racist content," she writes in a post that has seen over 300 shares.

Chatterjee, while "feeling suffocated", sat through the first segment of the shoot and decided to give it another chance. However, when the tenor remained unchanged, she decided that she could "not sit there anymore … and had to leave…"

In her post, she further writes that when she reached out to the organisers, they told her that it was a part of the "roast" format. "I explained to them the common perception of roast and how it is different from bully. That there is no humour value in a joke about someone's physical attributes especially one that stems from deep prejudices," she writes.

Incidentally, 'Parched' directed by Leena Yadav, portrays the various societal biases still prevalent including that of skin colour.

colors.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...skin-slur-on-tv-show/articleshow/54562692.cms
poor old gal..but she is quite dark

she's beautiful ! i am fair skinned brahmin but i love girls with dark or brown skin. they are beautiful :D

+ just realised that brahmin as well :D

Last edited:
Interesting, please continue, being dark somehow effects on her abilities to act?

well colors should fire the content producers and the comedians in question.
By
Lopamudra Ghatak
, ECONOMICTIMES.COM|

Related

Color

Tannishtha Chatterjee
10 hours ago

colors.jpg

she's beautiful ! i am fair skinned brahmin but i love girls with dark or brown skin. they are beautiful :D
You are racist and a friggin poor uneducated worthless meaningless citizen of a third world developing country where people shyt on road and waste food on mural when many die of starvation. Remember your own aukat you brown skinned Brahmin .

No this brown skin girl way out of your league even you 10 forthcoming generation can't dream of being with her.

@ topic I think India is most racist country. And I feel sorry to be associated to such a racist country.

Yes you know who you are. The white call us brown **** curry terrorist. Even Indian.

Don't be a racist bitcch

Ironic given the channel is called COLORS.

Regardless, what do you expect when the best selling cream in India is 'Fair and Lovely'. It's a country obsessed with being fair. Just look at Indian movies and television shows: 99% of the folks are light-skinned. The only dark-skinned people seems to be servants, villains, and bit players.

It's a form of racism.

It is a form of discrimination, but not a form of racism.

I don't know i am not from india ... that's y i asked..?

well, generally upper caste Indians (25%) are light skinned and have caucasian facial features. while other indians are tribal and Austroloid Caucasian mix.

brahmins are upper caste people (2.5%). so dark skinned brahmins get bullied by Fair skinned ("original") brahmins regularly.

in this case shes caucasian but shes still dark skined thats why she got bullied.

You are racist and a friggin poor uneducated worthless meaningless citizen of a third world developing country where people shyt on road and waste food on mural when many die of starvation. Remember your own aukat you brown skinned Brahmin .

No this brown skin girl way out of your league even you 10 forthcoming generation can't dream of being with her.

@ topic I think India is most racist country. And I feel sorry to be associated to such a racist country.

Yes you know who you are. The white call us brown **** curry terrorist. Even Indian.

Don't be a racist bitcch

I almost agreed with you till you degenerated and demonstrated your OWN racism by generalising and calling ALL Indians as "racist".

India is not a racist coiuntry, but we do practice Discrimination. They are both totally different things.

For e.g. Highly educated, good looking, tall people has a better prospect of getting a jab than less educated, ugly short people.

This is discrimination and is a socially and professional acceptable behaviour, though not admitted in public.

A darker girl is may be considered less attractive, and that too is discrimination, but its not racist.

The discrimination is due to widely accepted social norm of what constitutes beauty and attractive. That does not make it right or ethical or moral, but it a social reality.

Then again, eating meat is also not moral but that too has social acceptance.

So we cannot sit on selective moral judgement just because we do not happen to like one particular set of prejudices. That is more disgraceful.

Its pathetic to see that you had to first establish your "Fair skinned Brahmin" status before declaring your fake love for girls with dark skin.

In fact it is truly disgusting. :tdown: You are a true Racist.

I almost agreed with you till you degenerated and demonstrated your OWN racism by generalising and calling ALL Indians as "racist".

India is not a racist coiuntry, but we do practice Discrimination. They are both totally different things.

For e.g. Highly educated, good looking, tall people has a better prospect of getting a jab than less educated, ugly short people.

This is discrimination and is a socially and professional acceptable behaviour, though not admitted in public.

A darker girl is may be considered less attractive, and that too is discrimination, but its not racist.

The discrimination is due to widely accepted social norm of what constitutes beauty and attractive. That does not make it right or ethical or moral, but it a social reality.

So we cannot sit on selective moral judgement just because we do not happen to like one particular set of prejudices. That is more disgraceful.
No we are racist too,

Yes even the people I know around practice discrimination.
I hate racism.

Yes discrimination is a bigger issue but
We discreminate in the name of Color caste creed region religion money language clothing hair body feature education dialect height you name it.....

Discrimination ruined & kept this country poor and will continue to keep it for years.

Oh and you n me and a few like us. We are such small number that we don't even exist.

This country sell whitening cream for men women. you know the discrimination faced my people is to such an extreme level that it keeps them conscious for whole life.

Last edited:

Its pathetic to see that you had to first establish your "Fair skinned Brahmin" status before declaring your fake love for girls with dark skin.

In fact it is truly disgusting. :tdown: You are a true Racist.
what fake love ? i really love dark skinned girl. pelase not everyone is like you who judge 0eople based on their skin color.

Back
Top Bottom