What's new

Kazakhstan President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev shows off his Chinese in a TV interview in China

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Kazakhstan President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev shows off his Chinese in a TV interview in China​

Kazakhstan President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev spent 8 years of his life in Beijing, China, first as a student, then an embassy staffer in Soviet Union embassy in Beijing. He graduated from Beijing language and culture university.

Host: What local Beijing food do you miss the most?
Kazakhstan President: Twice cooked pork, Beijing roast duck and Dandan noodles.., do you know Dandan noodles? very spicy, I love it.
Host: What Chinese literature and poems do you like?
Kazakhstan President: When I studied in China, I read some works of Lu xun and I like them.
Host: Here is a gift for you, a table tennis bat signed by a world champion.
Kazakhstan President: Thank you, which champion?
Host: Ma lin
Kazakhstan President: oh, Ma lin
Host: Do you know him?
Kazakhstan President: Of course I know him.

Kazakhstan President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev​

Host: What local Beijing food do you miss the most?
Kazakhstan President: Twice cooked pork, Beijing roast duck and Dandan
Nice :enjoy:

2207250344351341f.jpg

Kazakhstan President confident in permanent partnership with China​

Buddhist are supposed to be vegetarians and yet most I know eat meat. People pick and choose what part of their religion they want to follow.

Kazakh President declares eternal friendship with China​

zgo/kk 13.05.2023, 12:26

uid_4e01c0874372450a9f71baebc0d8a01b_width_907_play_0_pos_0_gs_0_height_515.jpg

China and Kazakhstan are permanent comprehensive strategic partners to each other, according to Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, who is scheduled to visit China between May 16 and 20.
Having strategic partnership and permanent friendship with China is in the longstanding interests of the Kazakh people, the President said during an interview given to China Central Television, which was aired on Friday prior to his visit to China.

Speaking of bilateral relations, President Tokayev said that China plays a very important role in Kazakhstan's foreign policy.

“In September 2019, I went to China to pay a state visit and we had excellent talks with Chairman Xi Jinping. And we agreed to pursue a mutually beneficial policy of bringing our people together. It means that we should enjoy a strategic partnership, an eternal friendship between both countries. I think that it is very much in the interests, in the longstanding interests of the Kazakh people, and I'm very much committed to this kind of policy. And of course, we have no doubts about the importance of having a strategic partnership with our immediate neighbor – China,” said Tokayev.

At the invitation of Chinese President Xi Jinping, President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev of Kazakhstan, President Sadyr Japarov of Kyrgyzstan, President Emomali Rahmon of Tajikistan and President Shavkat Mirziyoyev of Uzbekistan will pay a state visit to China from May 16 to 20.

Meanwhile, the first China-Central Asia Summit will be held on May 18 and 19 in Xian, Shaanxi Province, and chaired by President Xi Jinping. The presidents of the five Central Asian countries will attend the summit.

Kazakh President Says It's 'Absolutely Clear' That Taiwan Is Part Of China​

Chinese President Xi Jinping (right) and Kazak President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev in 2019.

Chinese President Xi Jinping (right) and Kazak President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev in 2019.

Kazakh President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev said it is "absolutely clear" that Taiwan is a part of China as the Central Asian nation looks to build ties with its eastern neighbor.
"There should not be two Chinas. Taiwan is part of China. The principle of the territorial integrity of all countries is enshrined in the United Nations Charter and that must be respected," Toqaev said in an interview with China's CCTV television channel that was published on May 12.

"Therefore, I would like to stress again: It is absolutely clear for us that Taiwan is part of China. And we do not have any doubts about it," Toqaev added.
Answering a question about concerns in some parts of the world about the strengthening of ties between China and five former Soviet republics -- including Kazakhstan -- in Central Asia, Toqaev said: "There must be no concerns about that."

"Our intentions are open [and] sincere. The fact is that China is the world's second economy and, therefore, we must recognize China's role, and we have to build very good relations with your country," Toqaev said.

Toqaev's interview comes less than a week before China's two-day summit with the leaders of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. The meeting focusing on strengthening economic and diplomatic ties will be held on May 18-19 in China's historic city of Xi'an on the ancient Silk Road.

Buddhist are supposed to be vegetarians and yet most I know eat meat. People pick and choose what part of their religion they want to follow.
it's not the same, in Islam consumption of pork is a sin. I found it interesting that such a person went on a pilgrimage to the holy shrine and continues to consume pork.While I know plenty of Muslims that consume alcohol very few eat pork less perform Hajj without sincere repentance and dedicated resolve to resist future temptations. But I guess politicians are a different breed, they do things for a photo opp and not absolution.

Cooperation with China based on ‘unshakable friendship,’ says Kazakhstan

Kassym-Jomart Tokayev meets Xi Jinping in Chinese city of Xi’an ahead of China-Central Asia summit

14:44 . 18/05/2023 Thursday

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on Wednesday said Astana’s cooperation with Beijing is based on “unshakable friendship and mutual support.”

His remarks came during a visit to China where he will take part in the China-Central Asia summit which is set to begin on Thursday.

“For Kazakhstan, the People’s Republic of China is of particular importance. Our cooperation is based on unshakable friendship and mutual support. We have a common goal – to intensify bilateral relations,” Tokayev told his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, according to a statement by the Kazakh presidency.

The duo met in Xi’an city in China’s northwestern Shaanxi province ahead of the two-day summit.

Tokayev said Kazakhstan and China are "united by the desire to strengthen regional and international security and cooperation," and pointed out "importance" for Astana of "further developing comprehensive strategic partnership with Beijing."

"The (bilateral) talks are designed to give additional impetus to the strengthening of interstate cooperation," Tokayev said, lauding Xi’s "contribution to the development of bilateral cooperation."

Beijing and Astana discussed "developing comprehensive cooperation in trade, economic, oil and gas, petrochemical, energy, financial, transport and transit sectors, education and science. There was also an exchange of views on issues of the international and regional agenda,” added the statement from the Kazakh presidency.

It said Tokayev and Xi signed a joint statement at the end of the talks, and members of the Kazakh and Chinese delegations signed a number of documents on cooperation in sectors such as transport, agriculture, infrastructure, sports, trade, energy, media, and education.

According to a readout from Beijing, Xi said Tokayev’s visit to China on his 70th birthday "speaks volumes about the strength of the bilateral ties and once again attests to his unique bond" between Kazakhstan and China.

"China-Kazakhstan relations have entered the next three golden decades. The two sides should vigorously carry forward the traditional friendship, firmly support each other, deepen mutually beneficial cooperation, pursue development and rejuvenation, and build a China-Kazakhstan community with a shared future featuring everlasting friendship, strong mutual trust and solidarity," Xi told his Kazakh counterpart.

The Xi-Tokayev meeting came ahead of the China-Central Asia summit, which will be held in-person for the first time from Thursday until Friday, and is expected to see the participation of leaders from four other states – Kyrgyz President Sadyr Japarov, Tajik President Emomali Rahmon, Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev, and Turkmen President Serdar Berdimuhamedov.

The summit is expected to discuss enhancement of economic cooperation, security issues, and the Ukraine crisis.

According to details released from Beijing, the overall trade between China and Central Asian nations reached $70.2 billion last year, marking a historic high.

Also, the China-Central Asia pipeline delivered 43.2 billion cubic meters of natural gas to China last year, as imports of energy, agricultural and mineral products by Beijing also witnessed around 50% increase.

Imports of mechanical and electronic products from China by the five Central Asian nations also rose by around 42% last year.

Tokayev graduated from Beijing Language and Culture University, and of course, he is very familiar with Chinese food.

In China, many Muslims do not have many taboos about diet.

In fact, China, Russia and Türkiye are competing in Central Asia. China controls economy, Russia controls politics, and Turkiye controls religion.

Kazakhstan may want to weaken Russia's influence over them, which is why he came to China.

40% of Kazakhstan's water resources come from China. No matter how the political situation in Kazakhstan changes, they will definitely be close to China. I don't think we need to be involved in their relationship with Russia.

Back
Top Bottom