What's new

Taliban in 72 percent of Afghanistan: report

NATO says war against Afghan's Taliban being won

KABUL: NATO said Thursday that the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan is being won, despite reports by other agencies of a sharp upsurge in insurgent attacks this year.

"While numerous challenges remain, there are some basic facts that highlight the improved security across the country," said US General Joseph Dunford, head of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Dunford said in a statement that almost eight million children are in school, 40 percent of whom are girls, compared with one million -- almost all boys -- under the Taliban's 1996-2001 rule.

In 2002 only nine percent of Afghans had access to basic healthcare while now 85 percent can reach medical facilities in an hour, he said, and life expectancy was steadily rising.

"Under the Taliban, there were only 10,000 fixed phone lines, and today there are over 17 million people using cellphones," Dunford said.

Women now hold more than 25 percent of the seats in parliament and have a small but growing presence in the army and police, he said.

The Taliban were toppled from power in Kabul by a US-led invasion in 2001 and have been battling the Afghan government and US-led foreign forces since then.

Attacks by the Taliban and other insurgents rose 47 percent in January-March compared with the same period last year, according to figures from the Afghanistan NGO Safety Office.

The United Nations has separately reported a rise of almost 30 percent in civilian casualties in the first quarter compared with the same period last year, with 475 civilians killed and 872 wounded.

Dunford said 80 percent of enemy attacks were in areas where less than 20 percent of the population lives. More than 40 percent of all attacks happened in just 10 districts, mostly in the north of Helmand province and in the west of Kandahar province.

Equally importantly, he said, surveys showed that Afghans "will simply not tolerate the oppressive policies imposed by the former Taliban government".

The ISAF chief said that as the traditional fighting season begins, insurgents would face a combined Afghan army and police force of more than 350,000 which was "steadily gaining in confidence, competence, and commitment".

The 100,000-strong ISAF force will end its combat mission by the end of next year and foreign troops are already pulling back from the frontlines. Afghan forces will soon take nationwide responsibility for security.

Some analysts are less confident in the abilities and motivation of Afghan forces, which suffer a high desertion rate. They predict a collapse of the Western-backed government and a return to civil war when foreign forces leave.

President Hamid Karzai's government dismisses such claims as Western media propaganda.

NATO says war against Afghans Taliban being won - thenews.com.pk

Well Well on ground reality is not that what you are claiming Almost every Afghan is at War against nato and the main point is that all the fighters are not Taliban they Are the locals MUJAHIDEEN who fought britian russia and now AMERICAN The problem is that The locals not claim that they are the one who is fighting what ever happeness in Afghanistan taliban claims it in pakistan that we did this and that i want nato to leave soon so you guys will wake up from these dreams

Salam Alikum wr wb Manana de har kaly sakha de za da pakhtoon zalmay na yam kho pakhtoon yam alhamdulilah

Walaikum Sallam, roora ! But I'm not a Pukhtoon....I just have many Pukhtoon friends & family members & so I've picked up a Pashto phrase or two ! :)

So tell me hows life in Afghanistan right now ? Are you supporting the Afghan Cricket team ? Are you a student ?

we all know the truth...the actual target of United states of America was never Afghanistan...it was us!always...They just want to use afghanistan as a launch-pad against pakistan...the main objective of US attack behind 9/11 drama is:

---To keep strict eye on China
---To give maximum collateral damage to Pakistan,by funding TTP.
---Reduce Pro-Pakistanis in Afghanistan... especially in tribal areas.
---Damaging Pakistan's economy.
---Especially Pakistan's nuclear assets are one clear objective..
---Also Iran--oh,how can we forget that??after revolution,C.I.A lost her nexus inside Iran... especially after strict actions taken by Iran against Americans.

We need to look at broader horizons.Enough of their lies and drama.

this is one of wests old problems. they always think everyone thinks lik them which they call as rational behaviour. the defination of this rational behavious is different in east and west.

in east if someone kills ur parents, rapes ur wife and sisters and destroys ur country, its quite a rational behaviour to stop thinkin about living ur life and start fightin the agressor even if u have only got stones in ur hand. in west family ties are there but they are not the only reason for livin ur life.
so now when u attack an eastern country which has such a culture, u might never expect a war to finish. victory in the short run but failure in the long run. coz when ever u will kill someone, this persons family will rise to take revenge.

and now if u attack a muslim country with such a culture, u must already know that this war will never end untill every single person of the country dies or the agressor somehow decides to give up. muslims see this life as a mere test from God and the actual life for them will start after they die. such a belief simply means that the person is not scared of death. keeping this reality in mind and then lookin at afghan histroy and pathan mindset, i believe that US can never win this war. doesnt matter how hard they try or how many more troops they send in here.

as far as india in concerned, it cant do much except for carryin out covert operations. india is makin the same mistake wihch US always does. they are tryin to be friends with hamid karzai and not afghan people. its really hard to fracture ties bw the people of two muslim countries. relations bw the muslims of pakistan and afghanistan goes back to mughal time. that is why our gov still cant stop ppl of pakistan from goin to afghanistan and fight alongside taliban against foreign forces. who is rit and who is wrong is not a question here. its the feelin of this brotherhood which keeps the ppl of both the nations united. my point being, doenst matter how much india invests in afghanistan but it cant use afghanistan as a platform against pakistan.

peace in pakistan will only come after foreign troops leave afghanistan and till then no matter how hard u try u wont be able to stop pakistanis from goin to afghanistan.

:pakistan:

I think the real fitna begins when Muslims start fighting each other, there is no "winner" in after life, only losers...

If India attacks Pakistan, we can unanimously decide we need to fight India back, but if it is a Muslim who starts picking war with us? then it is a great fitna for us, because there would be no winners, only losers unfortunately, and I heard when Muslims fight each other, God makes them coward and give kaffirs authority over them.

God knows best, If I said anything wrong, I hope God forgives me, and have mercy on me.

Back
Top Bottom