What's new

Tajik air base is ready, gives India its first footprint in strategic Central Asia

Tajikistan itself has allowed airbase inside its teritory If India has Mig29's there I hope Tajikistan know the purpose other wise it would allow only transport Aircrafts or helicopter's.
Yes you got my point, Those Mig29 even if not operational will be nuiscance for Pakistan, Pakistan will have to plan keep few f16's and other resources to check Mig29's plus IAF can reduce or increase its strength since it will be operating from that base.

Its not that India and Pakistan are going for war soon, Even in peace times pakistan needs to plan for this Airbase.

Dude, its a single base with 6 mig's. Once under attack, our reaction would be to eliminate the base by intensive missile attacks.
They are not a threat at all!

Its not that easy, From Hardened Shelters to , Alternate Runaway's etc. ITs a manoever strategy, new flank, For all you know Indians can attack your forces from behind, divert attention, very similar to giving artillary cover for infantary movement. Isnt flanking one of the major part of modern warfare.

Please IAF planners arent some novice's, they will have reasons stationing the MIGs. I wouldnt have spoken about about the Flank angle, if it werent were for some offensive platform like MIG 29's. i would look at goodperson's post above more carefully...It is a dangerous situation.

But I dont think this is Pakistan Specific,If you look at the map, the base is far from the Pakistan geographic and its more towards Uzebkistan side,Unless you have a Air2 Air Refueler going in the air in Tajikistan, DOnt know wether the MiG will have range to get anywhere into Pakistani territory

MiG 29 SMT can carry 5000kgs of Payload at 3500 kms(Drop Tanks included)
while the Normal MIG-29A with 4500Kgs of Payload 3000Kms(drop tanks included)
I dont think there is enough range in the Migs to do a strike.Unless you have a IL-76 Tanker up there.

In a war case, the PAF would be busy keeping the IAF off the east, B.missiles/cruise missiles might be used to take down that base in tajikistan. The base is not problam. The reason i think india would have a base their is to show the world that they are the next power along with china. But if that's the case then we were a power long before them since we have pak army in saudia patrolling beside the isreali border. And maybe cause we train airforce and navies of arabs :D

I got it thats why I said there is no logic to hae IAF airbase in Tajikistan other than keeping PAF occupied in western front, Mig 29's are not a joke. They are airsuperiority fighters.

India may have plans as not all news is released to Media.

Yea but a babur or any other missile is no child's play either. Those will wipe alot of bases

It may not be Babur check the range, check the Map Ayni is way behind near Uzbekistan. For that matter any missile would have to cover nearly whole of Tajekistan, even Dushanbe.

Interesting scenario, why India took this step, China ? i do not think must be happy. Intelligence gather for who and, And whos the target ? Russia never like this idea, Someone in neighbourhood watching them. Don t tell that its all for Afganistan.
Can be three major countries might be the target. China, Russia, or Iran. Afganistan does not fit anywhere. Cuz NATO and whole spy appratus already exist their.
What you guys think ?

Or its newly developing gas line, from central asia to afganistan and then Pakistan to gawdar port ? Need protection or US does not want to stay anymore, because already extremist element in Tajkistan are targeting western interest ?

The thought of building base had come during BJP's regime, As India's weakness in handling situations in Afganisthan were exposed, However lots of things have changed equations have changed.
India is evolving new startegies, new base is part of new startegies, India see's its influence increasing in Central Asia due to energy requirements. In worst scenerio it may be used against its potential adversaries.

In other words India is taking dictation from somone.......as far as protection, Russia already exist their. Don t see any reason of Indian base. Russia has enough power to protect Tajkistan and its interest.
Its not Indian independent decision. We are talking about oil rich Tajkistan ?

In other words India is taking dictation from somone.......as far as protection, Russia already exist their. Don t see any reason of Indian base. Russia has enough power to protect Tajkistan and its interest.
Its not Indian independent decision. We are talking about oil rich Tajkistan ?

Where did you read India is taking dictation from someone? its a strategic decision to have base in Tajekistan.

India can not take independent decisionto establish a base in oil rich area. Where all oil platform and network owned by US companies. Its the most sensitive area.

Read the topic post
Under the trilateral agreement, India, Russia and Tajikistan will have command and control of the air base by rotation and a contingent of Defence Services personnel is already in Ayni after military contractors completed construction last December

Where do you read US here ? US may have business interest I am not sure but that has nothing to do with the base.

Indian Military Base Looks Unlikely

23-Oct-06

As Indian newspapers continue to speculate that the country will secure a military base in Tajikistan, analysts in Dushanbe are dismissive of the idea, because regional neighbours would strongly oppose it.

Following President Imomali Rahmonov’s recent visit to Delhi, the Indian press began reporting that there was a plan to set up an airbase at Aini Airport on the outskirts of Dushanbe.

Officials in Tajikistan immediately denied the reports. A defence ministry source told NBCentralAsia that the Indian military has been providing training and technical assistance to the Tajik army for some years, but there is no agreement to set up an airbase.

Analysts interviewed by NBCA believe that Delhi might be interested in having a base, but that the Tajik government would not countenance such an idea – it has too much to lose.

Tajikistan belongs to several regional security groupings including the Collective Security Treaty Organisation and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, and it would need the approval of other member states - Russia, other former Soviet states, and China – which would be unlikely to give their assent to an Indian military presence in the region. Nor would the idea be favoured by the United States, which is currently promising to invest substantial funds in Tajikistan.

In addition, Tajikistan would run the risk of becoming embroiled in the confrontation between India and Pakistan. Allowing Delhi to land military aircraft on Tajik soil could be seen as an unfriendly act in Islamabad.

Tajikistan currently has great plans to develop its hydroelectric schemes with Pakistani assistance. Once the Rogun and Sangtuda hydropower plants are up and running, the Tajiks will be able to sell electricity to Pakistan, via a new power line that is already at the planning stage.

(News Briefing Central Asia draws comment and analysis from a broad range of political observers across the region.

http://iwpr.net/?p=btj&s=b&o=324804&apc_state=henbbtjdate2006

In a war case, the PAF would be busy keeping the IAF off the east, B.missiles/cruise missiles might be used to take down that base in tajikistan. The base is not problam. The reason i think india would have a base their is to show the world that they are the next power along with china. But if that's the case then we were a power long before them since we have pak army in saudia patrolling beside the isreali border. And maybe cause we train airforce and navies of arabs :D

Thunder,Haider.
HAider, the articleyou have provided is older than what malay is posted, therefore it is not valid now.

Even I dont understand the use of the base, Cuz of the lack of range of the MIG 29's towards China or Pakistan. Yes with Air to Air refuelling Pakistan and China comes well within the Range of India. Lets give the due credit to IAF they arent some Banana republic force and are not headed by dud heads. PAF respects them and vice versa. You making a political statement by stationing Troops in a different country, but not with India's premier Fighters.

India outnumber's Pakistan already. I maybe wrong but think about this, I am sure these procurements I am going to state Have another reasons as well. The recent Indian decisions to increase their Marine Landing Force, Marine Troop Carrier, construction of LPD's in the model of USS Trenton which they recently bought. Since Pakistan has lesser number's she prefers her enemy to come in a congested, manner. She prefers them from one front, It gives her a more efficient defence. I am sure India knows this. Now with Air Superiority Fighters in Tajikistan, Marine Landing Force from the Sea, And the usual International Border and LOC (Land War and Air War). This diverts, the Pakistani Defence and making them more inefficient. As a one on one, Pakistan can take care of the Tajik Base, Marine Landing, as well as give a stiff resistance in IB and LOC. Now when you have these 3 fronts attacking together, it does make it more difficult for Pakistan than what it is now for sure.
But as of now, India is not capable now from the Marine Landing View point, LPD's arent built, along with the troop carrier's; MIG 29 are not upgraded to the SMT.

India can not take independent decisionto establish a base in oil rich area. Where all oil platform and network owned by US companies. Its the most sensitive area.

I hope you are aware, US wanted a Base here, and they werent allowed, It is the Russian Influence which mostly likely would have got us the base. We also have a good rapport with Uzbeks,Tajiks and Kazaks when India helped Northern Alliance in the days of Ahemd Shah Masood.

Just to clarify, Tajikistan is not an oil rich country. In central Asia, Turkmenistan has huge gas Reserves and Kazakhstan has huge oil resrves. Uzbekistan also has gas and Petroleum. Despite having a Caspian sea coast line, exportable quanitites of oil and gas have so far not been found in Tajikistan.

IMO, other countries would not allow Indian base, thus India chose Tajikstan. Strategic value can at best be symbolic. There doesnot seem to sufficient number of men or material at this base to be of a serious threat to either China or to Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom