What's new

T-84 oplot M fails testing what now for the army, in terms of tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expense isn't an issue and the price range is broadly comparable I.e. around 5.5 million dollars.
The second reason is quality. The Altay is far superior to anything the Ukranians have, there are quite a few detailed write ups on tank forums, written by current and ex tankers outlining this. The L-55 gun on the Altay, which is also operational on the newest Leopards 2's should be reason enough to go for this tank.
Thirdly Turkey is the cloeset ally we have, bar China and we shouldn't have any issues with transfer of tech, supplies etc.
As others have mentioned this tank may be a replacement for part of the fleet, not all of it. Yes the budget is important but going to war on the cheap is a disaster, that will result in deaths and losses in the battle field. It's the age of tech.
Sir, I do agree with some of the points, you have raised. ALTAY is essentially in a development phase, Its engine is German, we dont know how it will perform in our hot climate. The indigenous Turkish engine development is planned but how it will go ahead in future, no body knows.
Price tag around $6million v/s OPLOT $4.5 million
Currently Ukraine needs money, we may get good discounts on it. Look on bigger picture, we may get complete ToT (including engines) and IFV deal as well.
Turkey's tank is a future thing. Ukraine was the industrial hub of Soviet Union. T series plant was essentially in Ukraine. Ukraine industrial know how in tank design and engine technology is superior to Turks as of now. Lastly if you are placing your bets on ALTAY, then there is no logic of AK2 project.

Expense isn't an issue and the price range is broadly comparable I.e. around 5.5 million dollars.
The second reason is quality. The Altay is far superior to anything the Ukranians have, there are quite a few detailed write ups on tank forums, written by current and ex tankers outlining this. The L-55 gun on the Altay, which is also operational on the newest Leopards 2's should be reason enough to go for this tank.
Thirdly Turkey is the cloeset ally we have, bar China and we shouldn't have any issues with transfer of tech, supplies etc.
As others have mentioned this tank may be a replacement for part of the fleet, not all of it. Yes the budget is important but going to war on the cheap is a disaster, that will result in deaths and losses in the battle field. It's the age of tech.
Dear Sir given specs of T84 OPLOT show that it is certainly much better and quite competitive to modern tanks and in case of local production Pak may further upgrade them so we should not disapprove it totally. Specially Keno Alpha has also explained it more reliable. What happens if any expensive tank with good looking tank fails to move in Pak hot/dusty conditions especially in desert environment.

I believe that Atlay is designed more for mountainous type of area with less dusty environment along with low temperatures. If issue is for Gun barrel we may import it from Turkey.

@waz I think lot of inside parts of T-84 Oplot M will be replaced with systems from Turkey

Wanted to write a more detailed reply, but in the end i decided it's not worth it as it would lead to pointless bickering...

I will just leave you with the notion that Kharkov is just across the border where the shelling happens and from the iirc 50 or something tanks for Thai army from a few years ago, only 5 are in operation....make your own conclusions.
Ukraine Set to Massively Increase Tank Production as Conflict Heats Up | Business | The Moscow Times

Ukraine Announces increase in tank production – Tank and AFV News

Ukroboronprom wants to increase production tank Oplot

http://en.censor.net.ua/news/323086/ukroboronprom_to_increase_tank_production_by_24_times

L'Ukraine veut augmenter sa production de chars T-84 Oplot à 120 unités par an - Spécial Défense

Not sure what's going on, Oplot was never on the radar as a procurement. Not at PDF at least. I don't feel a joy for selecting it yet. Guys tell us more and bring some comparative data on the front.
In the last IDEA's it was put on offer all the media and the pages of PDF are full of it...

Thought Pakistan making tanks has the ability to design and build them.
we can if we want to
but designing and developments costs a lot and our defence industry is under funded
what we have been doing is we get a platform and we modify it with home grown and foreign systems and we built them in HIT

@kaonalpha What is the status of AL KHALID project not the AL KHALIDS we already have the new AL KHALID which was in the making @Icarus @balixd @Dazzler @DESERT FIGHTER @PWFI
sometime your questions make me think, If I should be shooting myself or not......not everything can be said on forum, if Military wanted the news out they would have released a Press briefing by now......& Bajwa sb giving detailed presentation to the Journos but i dnt see that happening

sometime your questions make me think, If I should be shooting myself or not......not everything can be said on forum, if Military wanted the news out they would have released a Press briefing by now......& Bajwa sb giving detailed presentation to the Journos but i dnt see that happening
T
Pakistan is hiding pretty much all defence procurements and new developments. The new Sniper Gun you told us not Army, that is why I asked this question because even if new AL KHALID comes and becomes part of Army, I hardly doubt that they would ever reveal it.

Well, ofcourse a general director of the manufacturer whose country is at war would say they will increase production. It's patriotic, no? Plus, words don't cost a dime which is a specially good deal for a country on IMF lifeline.

Look, Ukrainians talk a lot (goes with propaganda war), are in a war in which they apparently (mentioned in your links) need more tanks. Add in the history of being able to fulfill orders with difficulty...etc etc...

Add on top of that the political pressures associated with SCO membership (you mentioned yourself about Su-35 offer-indicative of Russians trying to pull you into their own sphere-for better or worse) and recent offerings/presentations of J-10 by China, despite afaik being already removed from PAF wish list...

I remain sceptical of this deal. Is ofcourse my opinion only, layman's opinion at that, but it is like it is.

Well, ofcourse a general director of the manufacturer whose country is at war would say they will increase production. It's patriotic, no? Plus, words don't cost a dime which is a specially good deal for a country on IMF lifeline.

Look, Ukrainians talk a lot (goes with propaganda war), are in a war in which they apparently (mentioned in your links) need more tanks. Add in the history of being able to fulfill orders with difficulty...etc etc...

Add on top of that the political pressures associated with SCO membership (you mentioned yourself about Su-35 offer-indicative of Russians trying to pull you into their own sphere-for better or worse) and recent offerings/presentations of J-10 by China, despite afaik being already removed from PAF wish list...

I remain sceptical of this deal. Is ofcourse my opinion only, layman's opinion at that, but it is like it is.

So the worlds 6th largest army choose a tank that Ukraine can't produce ? (With 60% of it being built in PAK)

Russians got nothing on us .. Ukraine and Russia still are buying and selling stuff to eachother despite war...

A member posted pics of the MBT-3000 in Pak on the previous pages .. Again they didn't choose it for a good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom