What's new

Sweden joins to British next-generation fighter programme

I suppose harriers are subsonic. In 90's Lockheed Corporation bought all the documents on Yak-141.
http://aviationintel.com/yak-141-freestyle-the-f-35b-was-born-in-moscow/
https://taskandpurpose.com/f-35-yak-141-freestyle-vtol-jet

And in the 1970s, the Convair Model 200 was proposed, based on ideas from the 1950s.

upload_2019-7-10_17-20-12.jpeg

Seems to me that the Yak-141 could have copied the engine setup from this bird.
Convair was sold to General Dynamics, and ended up inside Lockheed Martin.

The F-35B lift functionality is developed by Rolls-Royce.

And in the 1970s, the Convair Model 200 was proposed, based on ideas from the 1950s.

View attachment 568619

Seems to me that the Yak-141 could have copied the engine setup from this bird.
Convair was sold to General Dynamics, and ended up inside Lockheed Martin.

The F-35B lift functionality is developed by Rolls-Royce.
I do not see the flying prototype of this, unlike Yak-141. I do not say that Americans just copied Yak-141, but they bought all the documents and definetly used them in creating of F-35B.

Tempest concept fighter jet model

The Telegraph on Friday has reported that Sweden will be first partner nation in the British Tempest programme to build a next-generation fighter jet.

“Britain’s Team Tempest programme to build a new fighter jet has moved a step closer to getting into the air with Sweden poised to announce it has signed up as the project’s first international partner,” according to The Telegraph.

A future combat air system, called the Tempest, is a joint project with British aerospace companies BAE Systems Plc, Rolls Royce Holdings Plc, MBDA UK Ltd and Anglo-Italian firm Leonardo SpA.

The Tempest programme aims to harness and develop UK capabilities that are critical for Next Generation (NextGen) Combat Air capability and to retain the UK’s position as a globally competitive leader through understanding of future concepts, technologies and capabilities.

A future combat air system must be able to survive the most challenging combat environments meaning that payload-range, speed and manoeuvrability will be key. Britain officials say that they expect that the system will be equipped with a range of sensors including radio frequency, active and passive electro-optical sensors and advanced electronic support measures to detect and intercept threats.

The system is likely to operate with kinetic and non-kinetic weapons. The integration of Laser Directed Energy Weapons for self-defence and use within visual range combat is also highly likely. The ability to deploy and manage air launched ‘swarming’ Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV) through a flexible payload bay allows the system to address dangerous Anti-Access Area Denial environments.

Air forces of the future will require a fighter system that is highly flexible and can be applied to a wide variety of military operations. Operators will have the ability to rapidly adapt the system to perform new functions or to change its performance.

According to The Telegraph, next-generation jet – planned to be in service in 2035 – is aimed at maintaining Britain as a world power in military aircraft.

https://defence-blog.com/news/swede...o5CtuD21xPcvOaXiBdwUZSkykclizp0oCJU3cnAYr_H3I
Pakistan should join that one

which is the last British designed combat aircraft without partnership with foreign countries ?
Lots of design through out UK history since ww2 @nahtanbob

i see nothing wrong working with other countries. tornado was multi-national consortium. jaguar was anglo-french project. it made me wonder when was the last time british built one solely on their own.
Lightning,Hawker hunter,Vampire,Javelin,Buccaneer etc etc @nahtanbob

I do not see the flying prototype of this, unlike Yak-141. I do not say that Americans just copied Yak-141, but they bought all the documents and definetly used them in creating of F-35B.
Which is an unproven possibility.
Obviously they could have done it without the drawings.
Even if they did use it, it might have minor impact on the actual design.
Unless we know a lot more about what actually happened, it is only speculation.

nahtanbob,

The Eurofighter is based on the EAP ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_EAP ) and was 100% British. We then made the mistake of trying to make that into a fighter with the Europeans. Bad mistake as it was shown...

So the last fully British designed fast jetplane was the EAP and not the Harrier !!!!

is the yak-141 a real combat aircraft ? was it inducted in serious numbers ?
Nope, only a few pre-serial jets were made, serial production never started because of USSR collapse.

The Typhoon....The jet itself was based on the British designed EAP technology prototype which flew in 1986 at Farnborough.
It’s EJ200 engine is based off the XJ40 engine designed by Rolls Royce in the 80’s as well.
Yes other nations helped build it but there’s no denying that the jet is essentially ours in design and power.
Indeed. People forget that Rolls Royce is based in the UK and that gives them an immense ability to leapfrog a lot of other european nations, in their ability to roll out, market and successfully set a fighter jet.

It seems due to defects in f35 europeans are now starting their own 5gen jets so it will badly affect u.s f35 market in europe
It is also with Donald trump drumming up - pay more money to be in Nato and the european countries realising that they can be exposed pretty quickly to Russia, if another nut job comes or this one continues in the US. And it makes more business sense to have an own fighter when you have one of the 3 jet engine builders in your own country.

Back
Top Bottom