What's new

Swat Peace Deal - The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are wrong pal, i know a mechanic who is from SWAT and has lived there his entire life tells me most ppl in SWAT are matric passed (himself also). There schools are very affordable and a lot of ppl go there.

People in SWAT know what they want and are smart about things and they dont want Taliban or thier sharia PERIOD.

No doubt shariah is blessing of God for humanity.Same time it is very difficult to sustain credibility of that system.

To implement shariat there should be a strong shourah of highly educated people who know the shariah law completly.

Sufi muhammad should establish shaurah composed of all sects of society then shariah can be sucessful.

But if Sufi muhammad tried to become king he will not suceed.

TNSM has no intention to establish parallel state: Izzat
SWAT: Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Muhammadi (TNSM) spokesman Amir Izzat Khan has said that the Constitution of Pakistan is Islamic and there is no intention to set up a parallel state.

He said this while speaking to newsmen after meeting with representatives of NWFP government here.

“Though Pakistan’s constitution is Islamic. But steps are not being taken in line with Islam,” Khan noted.

The TNSM has no plan to establish a parallel state in the country, he said, adding that the ideology of Pakistan should be implemented in letter and spirit.

The spokesman said that the NWFP government explained that Nizam-e-Adl Regulation 2009 was not the replica of regulations enforced in 1994 and 1999.

TNSM has no intention to establish parallel state: Izzat - GEO.tv

It is apparent that what Sufi Mohammed says is only relevant to the Taliban so long as it conforms with their plans.

Democracy and our judicial system is 'un-Islamic', and the Taliban cheer.

The Taliban should be given an 'amnesty', the Taliban cheer.

Talk about the Taliban disarming and accepting the writ of the State, and the the Taliban tell him to go screw himself.

Bad news and worse
By Kamran Shafi

Tuesday, 28 Apr, 2009 | 02:03 AM PST

IN a brave statement, the COAS has said that the army ‘has the resolve to fight and eliminate militancy from the country.’ And that what all of us understood to be the helplessness of the fifth largest army in the world facing a vastly outnumbered and ill-equipped bunch of thugs was actually an ‘operational pause’.

One should have liked to believe the COAS of an army that has forever boasted that but for it Pakistan should have long hence disappeared from the face of the earth, and which has therefore expropriated the lion’s share of our poor country’s treasury. He will forgive us if we don’t click our heels and do a merry jig, for the record of the Pakistan Army is bad. Read on.

But first to the ISPR’s clarification (Dawn, April 21) which tried to debunk my article ‘The march of the Taliban’ (April 14) in which I had said that the Swat Taliban, riding in 10 double-cabins and bristling with arms, had been observed driving from Daggar in Buner to Swat via Swabi, the Motorway and Mardan. The ISPR states that this is not true.

Quite apart from the fact that I have gone back to my impeccable sources who assure me the Taliban marched in exactly the fashion I had described, could the ISPR kindly tell us why anyone should believe it, considering its track record? Could it also please clarify its locus standi in the matter? Why did the Frontier government not make the clarification?

Or is it at all possible that the army is at long last beginning to realise that if the Taliban are showing naked and brutal force all over the Frontier, and thence surely will show it in the rest of Pakistan, it has much to answer for, for not effectively fighting them in Swat?

We can only live in hope, for very soon after my piece was published, there were reports that the Taliban — ragtag, wearing broken chappals but also web equipment (freely available in Hayatabad’s Amreekan market where pilfered Nato and US army equipment is sold) — were within striking distance of Tarbela dam and also of Islamabad the Beautiful. Intriguingly, the Taliban’s foremost supporter, Maulana Fazlur Rehman, a most important pillar of Asif Zardari’s federal government made this claim.

But what gives in Swat? The reports are not encouraging, to say the very least. Mullah Radio goes on preaching violence and hate from his FM radio station which has still not been taken out despite the DG ISPR himself assuring us many weeks ago, before the army put its hands up in Swat, that the ‘equipment’ to find the source of FM broadcasts had finally been acquired by the army. Well, where is it then?

There is far worse news. An army convoy has been blocked by the Taliban just outside Mingora and sent back! Is this the way that an army that pretends to be well-trained and equipped and which says it is capable of taking on all comers behaves when confronted by a gang of criminals?

And worse still. There is talk of a general amnesty for the Swat renegades, no matter what their crimes against humanity. Crimes such as decapitation; robbing graves and shooting up corpses and hanging them after decapitating the dead bodies; slaughtering women school teachers and 70-year old ex-servicemen. Amnesty for these Yahoos, sirs?

What is wrong with everyone? Must the Pakistani state debase itself in this manner? Must it prove again and again that it is mendacious enough to let its own monsters do what they will to whomever they will, and that it will then help them get away with it? Must the Pakistani nation, whose misfortune it is to live under this cruel and mindless state, be dishonoured to the extent that whilst murderers and executioners and thieves and robbers, many of them foreigners, are given ‘amnesty’, thousands of its poor brothers and sisters languish in its awful jails awaiting trial for petty offences such as gambling Rs10 in a game of cards, and other such ludicrous misdemeanours?

Who came up with this particular jewel of an amnesty for the Swat criminals please? They not only brought mayhem and death to that valley, but also took up arms against the state. Surely treason of the first order, what? And yet an amnesty is being considered for them? If you must give the Yahoos amnesty, then please open the gates of all the jails in Pakistan and release those who are lesser criminals.

In the meantime, back at the ranch, instead of constantly monitoring the deteriorating situation in Swat and Buner and, (breaking news) in Battagram of Mansehra district where NGOs have stopped work after being threatened, the ‘agencies’ have made a menacing call or two to some ‘unfriendly’ media people. In addition, the ISPR, when rebutting or complaining about the media actually copies its communications to the directorate general of the ISI! What does the ISI have to do with the media?

So then, bad news all around. To the extent that even in these fraught times, the army high command is fixated on acquiring more and more land. A recent article in The News by the good Asim Sajjad Akhtar who has done excellent work on the way the army treats its tenants on the farms it leases (not owns, please note) from the Punjab government — leases which have run out in many cases — tells us that as recently as the end of 2008 GHQ was exchanging letters with the Punjab Board of Revenue asking for another 100,000 acres!Which reminds me: considering the need of the army high command for more and more land, why not allot 500 acres of Frontier/central government land in every town in Swat where its senior officers can build holiday homes and cottages?

PS. In 1897 the Malakand Field Force numbering approximately 6,200 all ranks, but led from the front by Sir Bindon Blood, defeated 15,000 tribesmen armed in same fashion, except for two Maxim machine guns and a battery of mountain artillery. No helicopter gunships, no tanks, no armoured cars.

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Bad news and worse

Delf Delete. Was misguided by a false article, All the doubts have been cleared by my esteemed colleagues on board.

I am sure now that Pakistan is in very safe hands and GoP and PA are doing their level best to ensure betterment of Pakistan.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Some very BS editorials are being written on Dawn something Indians boys seem to be very fan off. Dude this article is far from truth. Some people can't seem to move on and this one is no different either.

Just for the info, Express news and some other channels reporting a major operation by the army with the help of Airforce has been started in SWAT..

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Some fauji has really pissed off this dude, speaking frankly it seems to be a avenging measure rather then being an unbaised truth of the current situation.

It seems as if the moment someone uniformed dude with large mustaches slap this guy he came running home and picked up the pen and wrote this.

Anywaz..

Bad news and worse
By Kamran Shafi

Tuesday, 28 Apr, 2009 | 02:03 AM PST

IN a brave statement, the COAS has said that the army ‘has the resolve to fight and eliminate militancy from the country.’ And that what all of us understood to be the helplessness of the fifth largest army in the world facing a vastly outnumbered and ill-equipped bunch of thugs was actually an ‘operational pause’.
That's what the common sense says, but alas! it isn't that common.
One should have liked to believe the COAS of an army that has forever boasted that but for it Pakistan should have long hence disappeared from the face of the earth, and which has therefore expropriated the lion’s share of our poor country’s treasury.

Hmmm, so now i got it, this is the real and main problem, as usual another monger about the defence budget.

He will forgive us if we don’t click our heels and do a merry jig, for the record of the Pakistan Army is bad. Read on.
Forgiven!

But first to the ISPR’s clarification (Dawn, April 21) which tried to debunk my article ‘The march of the Taliban’ (April 14) in which I had said that the Swat Taliban, riding in 10 double-cabins and bristling with arms, had been observed driving from Daggar in Buner to Swat via Swabi, the Motorway and Mardan. The ISPR states that this is not true.
Motorway!!! Wow!..

i hope they would be reaching Kalarkahar interchange by now! Gotta run, they'll soon be in Lahore, oh sh!t!

BTW, i think i missed if any other new agency was also reporting to this fact.
Quite apart from the fact that I have gone back to my impeccable sources who assure me the Taliban marched in exactly the fashion I had described,
i hope he also gave him the exact 12 figure grid reference of the taliban's location on the MW, gosh! he must be talib himself!

Or is it at all possible that the army is at long last beginning to realise that if the Taliban are showing naked and brutal force all over the Frontier, and thence surely will show it in the rest of Pakistan, it has much to answer for, for not effectively fighting them in Swat?
Check what's happeniong in Dir since the last two days and also read what the govt is saying about the operation at hand!

We can only live in hope, for very soon after my piece was published, there were reports that the Taliban — ragtag, wearing broken chappals but also web equipment (freely available in Hayatabad’s Amreekan market where pilfered Nato and US army equipment is sold)

He is right on this one....did bought something for maself from there, they are really cheap, believe me!
— were within striking distance of Tarbela dam and also of Islamabad the Beautiful. Intriguingly, the Taliban’s foremost supporter, Maulana Fazlur Rehman, a most important pillar of Asif Zardari’s federal government made this claim.
Well he is talking military now...hmmm... let me see....hmmm.... a medium or heavy artillery gun probably will do the job, well perhaps not... 130 mm Gun fires at a range like may be 30 kms at the maximum, and the 155MMs will go a bit further if RAP (rocket assisted projectile) is used...well i don't know if the rag tag talibans have acquired these artillery guns, if yes then ISLAMABAD! run!! just Run they are just behind your A$$!!

This dude needs to be asked, a bunch o talibans while staying at a distance of 60 miles from the Capital, how would they pose a credible threat to the Capital....well i think may be they can just fire a few bullets in a hope that they might reach Islamabad due to Wnd Energy!!

i really doubted the brain usage of west on this, a few hundred dudes, posing a threat to the capital of a country who is a nuclear power with .6 million of a standing army...lovely, isn't it!

But what gives in Swat? The reports are not encouraging, to say the very least. Mullah Radio goes on preaching violence and hate from his FM radio station which has still not been taken out despite the DG ISPR himself assuring us many weeks ago, before the army put its hands up in Swat, that the ‘equipment’ to find the source of FM broadcasts had finally been acquired by the army. Well, where is it then?
This dude really need a break and some sleep, dont he knw that the peac deal is in effect in Swat, then how the hell the security forces would go and jam the FM thing, the Army just came back, it is not going in again untill asked to go! Whats the doubt? May be something is itching him somewhere!

What is wrong with everyone? Must the Pakistani state debase itself in this manner? Must it prove again and again that it is mendacious enough to let its own monsters do what they will to whomever they will, and that it will then help them get away with it? Must the Pakistani nation, whose misfortune it is to live under this cruel and mindless state, be dishonoured to the extent that whilst murderers and executioners and thieves and robbers, many of them foreigners, are given ‘amnesty’, thousands of its poor brothers and sisters languish in its awful jails awaiting trial for petty offences such as gambling Rs10 in a game of cards, and other such ludicrous misdemeanours?

Who came up with this particular jewel of an amnesty for the Swat criminals please? They not only brought mayhem and death to that valley, but also took up arms against the state. Surely treason of the first order, what? And yet an amnesty is being considered for them? If you must give the Yahoos amnesty, then please open the gates of all the jails in Pakistan and release those who are lesser criminals.

In the meantime, back at the ranch, instead of constantly monitoring the deteriorating situation in Swat and Buner and, (breaking news) in Battagram of Mansehra district where NGOs have stopped work after being threatened, the ‘agencies’ have made a menacing call or two to some ‘unfriendly’ media people. In addition, the ISPR, when rebutting or complaining about the media actually copies its communications to the directorate general of the ISI! What does the ISI have to do with the media?

So then, bad news all around. To the extent that even in these fraught times, the army high command is fixated on acquiring more and more land. A recent article in The News by the good Asim Sajjad Akhtar who has done excellent work on the way the army treats its tenants on the farms it leases (not owns, please note) from the Punjab government — leases which have run out in many cases — tells us that as recently as the end of 2008 GHQ was exchanging letters with the Punjab Board of Revenue asking for another 100,000 acres!Which reminds me: considering the need of the army high command for more and more land, why not allot 500 acres of Frontier/central government land in every town in Swat where its senior officers can build holiday homes and cottages?

PS. In 1897 the Malakand Field Force numbering approximately 6,200 all ranks, but led from the front by Sir Bindon Blood, defeated 15,000 tribesmen armed in same fashion, except for two Maxim machine guns and a battery of mountain artillery. No helicopter gunships, no tanks, no armoured cars.

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Bad news and worse
The rest is sheer BS, i dont want to talk about it or may be i'll do it when i am free from my bubble bath :D

Also read this:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/war-terror/25828-malik-warns-taliban-quit-buner-face-action.html

this might shed some more light!

Some very hard hitting questions raised here. Also that the FM station also has not yet been taken down (article Dated today) or Shafi is also a RAW. (I have substituted the word liar with RAW for convinience).

This sounds seriously interesting...

This again is interesting, specially when you consider his track record. (Taliban in Buner et all which was debunked by most).

Is this the regular practice...

Shukla!
The article is already very clear and easy to comprehend, so need to elaborate it, we understand English.

Anywaz, thnx for the futile effort!

or Shafi is also a RAW. (I have substituted the word liar with RAW for convinience).
Please do not do so again, since you are baiting and trolling then.

Thanks.

This sounds seriously interesting...
Why? What's wrong with the ISI monitoring media reports?

"In the meantime, back at the ranch, instead of constantly monitoring the deteriorating situation in Swat and Buner and, (breaking news) in Battagram of Mansehra district where NGOs have stopped work after being threatened, the ‘agencies’ have made a menacing call or two to some ‘unfriendly’ media people"

This again is interesting, specially when you consider his track record. (Taliban in Buner et all which was debunked by most).
No details, no explanation - all we have is 'agencies'.

Why is this interesting?

Is this the regular practice...
The Army is communicating with the Punjab government on acquiring land through legal means - whats wrong with that?

Its not like they decided to forcibly occupy it.

Recently the Baluchistan government rejected a request to grant land to the PAF, so the decision to grant these requests rests with the provincial governments. Whats the hullabaloo about?

A rant from start to finish by Kamran Shafi.

Please do not do so again, since you are baiting and trolling then.

Thanks.

Why? What's wrong with the ISI monitoring media reports?

No details, no explanation - all we have is 'agencies'.

Why is this interesting?

The Army is communicating with the Punjab government on acquiring land through legal means - whats wrong with that?

Its not like they decided to forcibly occupy it.

Recently the Baluchistan government rejected a request to grant land to the PAF, so the decision to grant these requests rests with the provincial governments. Whats the hullabaloo about?

A rant from start to finish by Kamran Shafi.

Thanks for the clarifications and this has eliminated all the doubts in my mind that were aroused after reading this dreaded article. I hope that such voices may never be raised again and such rediculous and unsubstantiated accusations on PA / GoP should be sufficient to file a defamation suit on Mr. Shafi.

Cheers,

Thanks for the clarifications and this has eliminated all the doubts in my mind that were aroused after reading this dreaded article. I hope that such voices may never be raised again and such rediculous and unsubstantiated accusations on PA / GoP should be sufficient to file a defamation suit on Mr. Shafi.

Cheers,
You are quite welcome.;)

Absolutely horrendous piece of journalism (if it should even be called that).

Next thing you know the military will be blamed for hoarding fuel and denying it to ordinary Pakistanis because it issued a tender for fuel supplies.:eek:

something Indians boys seem to be very fan off.

IC,

Leave the Indians out of it please. If it is a flawed piece of journalism (which it is) then it should be refuted, regardless of who posts it.

Editorial: Civil society against Taliban

On Tuesday, The Mall in Lahore saw a few hundred men and women demonstrating against the Taliban and the order they wish to impose on the country by force. Their objections to the Taliban sharia was based on the Constitution and the “liberal” essence of Islam embedded in the Quranic dictum that there can be no coercion in matters of faith. They spoke against the subversive trend of creating “states within the state” and asked the government, army, judiciary and opposition to take action before it was too late.

These were civil society representatives who had earlier joined a much larger number of fellow-liberals in the lawyers’ Long March against the government in Islamabad. The Long March was also related to the institution of the state but was not against the Taliban, a presence that persuades through intimidation and threat of targeted terrorism. It was correct as well as “safe” to be in the Long March; it was not so safe to be protesting against the Taliban.

The numbers therefore were fewer. And there is not much reported about such protests from other cities of the country. But the view of the so-called liberals — the liberal has become a somewhat pejorative person in right-wing Pakistan — was affirmed when the army finally discovered that the peace theatrics of Sufi Muhammad and his son-in-law warlord Fazlullah were simply a grand deception aimed at separating and governing Malakand Division as a bastion of terrorism in the country, a much more resource-rich terrain than South Waziristan.:pakistan:

It is painful for most people to accept that the liberals were right when they raised their hue and cry against the ANP government’s policy of seeking “peace” with Sufi Muhammad from a position of weakness. The media, arrayed against these “weak-kneed” liberals, joined the conservative majority in parliament in presenting the deal as the panacea against terrorism everyone was waiting for. Discussions were used to browbeat them into submission and encourage the clerical consensus in Pakistan to reiterate its view that there was no sharia in Pakistan or, if there was, it was not the real sharia. :pakistan:

The only problem was that liberal objections were echoed by the West in general and the US in particular from their own perspective and for their own motives. Therefore the conservative accusation of liberals and NGOs siding with their “foreign sponsors” was effectively levelled till the country was clearly divided between those who spoke “for Pakistan” and those who spoke “for foreign interests”. Referring to this, an article titled “The grand debate” by Professor Muhammad Waseem in Dawn (April 29, 2009) stated: “Liberals are alleged to be American agents by conservatives as are the MQM by the religious parties, in-service generals by retired generals, President Zardari and General Kayani by the likes of Imran Khan, and so on.”

It is agreed on all hands that conservatism in Pakistan today reflects the radicalisation of the public comprising “the educated, commercial and professional middle classes to the de-peasantised, urbanised and, in other ways, mobilised social strata”. It has a “dichotomous world view based on a contradiction between Islam and the West” as represented by the US. It sees the liberals as its enemy: “The more the liberals seek to go beyond xenophobia and join the ranks of the world’s forward-looking nations, the more they are criticised for pursuing an American agenda.”

It is not useful to decide here who is right and who is wrong. After the “disclosure” in Swat about Sufi Muhammad’s real intent, the entire nation, including the clerical consensus, is in favour of stopping the onward march of the law of the jungle that the Taliban insist on calling sharia. This unity is precious because it frees the ANP in Peshawar from its compulsion to parley with the Taliban in the face of national passivity. It also gives the Pakistan Army the signal to undertake an operation backed by the entire nation. It is immaterial if the “foreign elements” are pleased or displeased by this development.

Friday, May 01, 2009

By Daud Khattak

PESHAWAR: The NWFP government is set to unilaterally announce the establishment of the Darul Qaza in the Malakand division if Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Muhammadi (TNSM) chief Maulana Sufi Muhammad continues to ignore its requests for a meeting.

Addressing a news conference here on Thursday, NWFP Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said: “The situation is changing rapidly and we shall be left with no option but to unilaterally implement the Nizam-e-Adl, if Sufi Muhammad does not come forward for talks to sort out the matter.”

Iftikhar said the Darul Qaza had almost been finalised by the provincial government. The government had been contacting Sufi Muhammad for the last three days but to no avail, he added.

“As soon as he agrees to a meeting, we shall go there (Malakand) to finalise the implementation of the Nizam-e-Adl,” he told a questioner. He, however, said they would be compelled to implement it unilaterally if Sufi did not come forward for talks.

Iftikhar said the militants had captured the Jehanzeb College for some time in Swat, erected barriers in front of the commissioner’s bungalow and started patrolling, which was tantamount to challenging the writ of the government.

About the recent operations against the militants in Dir Lower and Buner districts, he said they had full confidence in the Army.

“The operation is going in the right direction and this time, we’ve no reservations over it,” he added. Unlike the previous operations, he said, there were no or little number of civilian casualties, which showed that the flaws reported previously had been removed this time.

About the patrolling of the Taliban in Swat and other areas, the minister said they would be left with no justification in this regard after the implementation of the Nizam-e-Adl. The government would take action if they failed to disarm or continued to challenge the writ of the government after the implementation of the Nizam-e-Adl, he added.

“Their (Taliban’s) demand was the Nizam-e-Adl and their failure to lay down the arms after the fulfilment of the demand would be considered as if they were working on someone else’s agenda,” the minister announced. “The government will not allow them to do so.”

About the operation in Buner, Iftikhar said it was different than that of Dir or other areas. He said the Taliban had violated the peace agreement by entering the district despite the implementation of the Nizam-e-Adl.

“We continued requesting them for 15 days to leave the area, but they did not pay any heed. Once, they posed before the television cameras that they were leaving and then returned to their old positions,” said the minister.

They captured police stations, intimidated the locals and tried to establish a parallel government, which could not be tolerated, he added. Responding to a question about arrangements for the internally displaced persons (IDPs), Iftikhar said a camp had been established at the Circuit House, Timergara, for that purpose.

“We request the federal government to extend financial assistance to the NWFP government, but it should not be restricted to mere announcements,” said the minister. He also demanded help from the international community and donor agencies to support the IDPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom