What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

Previously the IAF had wanted twin-seaters in keeping with its air superiority doctrine of having two pilots on-board with one serving as a dedicated weapons systems operator - a doctrine that it has evolved through its experience with the Su-30MKI. But in the case of the FGFA it seems that there is an appreciable loss in terms of stealthiness arising from a larger radar cross section (RCS) for the two-seater configuration. There are also accompanying payload and combat radius penalties. These factors when taken together with the rising costs of development mean that the two-seater version does not make that much sense anymore.

comments ?

I told you so @sancho :D

Not new report and false too, we know from the forme air chief, that they changed the order to keep costs in control, not because of changed requirements. This was later confirmed in several reports too:

m3ezys6z.png

Source: Take off ru 2013 (Russian aviation magazine)

Developing a single seat version for both air forces at the same time, is logically more cost-effective than developing an early Pak Fa, a later Pak Fa single seater and an FGFA twin seater. Now the Russian will get an early Pak Fa based on the current T50, while the later PaK Fa and FGFA will be single seaters, based on later prototypes with more changes. The next step after the first 144 then will be the development of the twin seater and follow orders and I have no doubt that IAF will keep aiming at 250 fighters in total, hopefully even more, but that depends on AMCA.

I told you so @sancho :D

What exactly?

Developing a single seat version for both air forces at the same time, is logically more cost-effective than developing an early Pak Fa, a later Pak Fa single seater and an FGFA twin seater. Now the Russian will get an early Pak Fa based on the current T50, while the later PaK Fa and FGFA will be single seaters, based on later prototypes with more changes. The next step after the first 144 then will be the development of the twin seater and follow orders and I have no doubt that IAF will keep aiming at 250 fighters in total, hopefully even more, but that depends on AMCA.
yeah I'm pretty sure 144 is only an initial order there are bound to be follow-up orders.

Not new report and false too, we know from the forme air chief, that they changed the order to keep costs in control, not because of changed requirements. This was later confirmed in several reports too:

m3ezys6z.png

Source: Take off ru 2013 (Russian aviation magazine)

What exactly?

IAF is not getting a two seater.

Off topic.
im into keeping and growing corals.
wow so you got a salt-water aquarium. I have kept several small fishes 1st in bowl then in small aquarium, but stopped it cause couldn't keep large ones and small ones kept dieing.

wow so you got a salt-water aquarium. I have kept several small fishes 1st in bowl then in small aquarium, but stopped it cause couldn't keep large ones and small ones kept dieing.

Yeah!!!
been there too, but now i have 200 gallon reef tank

P.S
1) the russians unlike the chinese have nt installed nor shown weapons on internal weapon bays yet or may be they are developing new air to air missiles with foldable fins to install it later , Got to wait

2) Is this weapon a KH31 krypton or some sort of AIR to Ground missile??
kh_31_or_some_thing_else.jpg

CHEERS

The Russians are pushing hard to keep the induction by 2015/16 as it seems.

- basic flight testing done
- high angle of attack tests done
- movable LERX and TVC tests done
- IFR done
- electro optics integrated
- AESA radar integrated
- EW integration under progress
- external weapon integration, under progress

P.S
1) the russians unlike the chinese have nt installed nor shown weapons on internal weapon bays yet or may be they are developing new air to air missiles with foldable fins to install it later , Got to wait

At least we haven't seen that so far from the T50, only the weapon bay tests on the Su 47 demonstrators. But we do know that they have developed a modified pack of weapons for the Pak Fa:

Kh 58
maks2011d2_197.jpg

Kh-38
KTRV-Kh-38ME-VVK-2S.jpg

Not sure if that was possible with earlier R77s too
aa12-grid-fin.jpg

2) Is this weapon a KH31 krypton or some sort of AIR to Ground missile??

Yes that's the Kh 31

electro optics integrated
Is it stealthy in shape and other aspects?

AESA radar integrated
If we're gonna go for the later version on FGFA, why are we considering Zukh-AE for Super-30 upgrade? and also will Super-30 engines which are same as that on MKI produce sufficient power for Zukh-AE?
And why have Russians not built their own LDP? they are marketing Su-30 with Damocles nowadays.
FGFA is going to need a stealthy shaped LDP, reconnaissance pod and EOT pod.

You sure these fins are of R-77?

Yes:

789px-Vympel-R-77-maks2009.jpg

R-77_MAKS-2007_07.JPG

Is it stealthy in shape and other aspects?

Electro optics = IRST, UV MAWS...

If we're gonna go for the later version on FGFA, why are we considering Zukh-AE for Super-30 upgrade? and also will Super-30 engines which are same as that on MKI produce sufficient power for Zukh-AE?
Zhuk AE or a BARS upgrade are available now as upgrades for for the Flanker and Mig 29 series, while a fully developed NG AESA might still take time, especially with all modes.

And why have Russians not built their own LDP? they are marketing Su-30 with Damocles nowadays.
FGFA is going to need a stealthy shaped LDP, reconnaissance pod and EOT pod.

They have developed an own version now and are not dependent on Damocles anymore, but a dedicated internal version would be a good idea for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom