What's new

successfully test Mumbai Monorail system

Guindy to Velachery - nearly 25 Rupees for below bus

P1250814.jpg

Cable car as a public transport. Never heard of it.

Oh then you should come to my place here in Sikkim, my friend. Cable cars are more popular in mountain places than in plains. :D

For public transport speed of 50-80km/h is sought, but what is use of Maglev when the Airport Express is already completed in Delhi.

Well looking at the number of people increasing in Delhi, I think they might need another one mode in the city to hold the strain. For example, the Delhi Metro started with 4 cars, then 6 cars and now they're planning for 8 car metro trains.

BTW the Airport Express is the most pitifully planned rail transport ever. It has zero connectivity to domestic terminal 1 at IGI where most Indian passengers travel to, compared to the new Terminal 3. Only now Delhi government has woken up from this slumber.

It was a pain in the rear when I had to catch a flight to Pune from Delhi.. that too with two huge bags and a picnic backpack.

Bangalore will also have its monorail soon and metro will be completed in few years :)

But you already have metro right? I thought the Namma Metro opened last year. :blink:

I just am praying for that airport AAI has planned at Pakyong here. Air travel (my usual means) is a nightmare when I have to carry my program equipment all the way to Delhi. For example, Last year I had a project in Amur regions in Russia. Here's a summary of my travel log using 4 different modes of transport non-stop.

Gangtok--->Bagdogra---->Delhi---->Moscow---->Tolmachevo---->Vladivostok----> Blagovoschchensk.

And I was really loaded with luggage. :O

Still think transportation is poor in metro cities? :D

London doesnt have monorail, they have normal railways, and underground tube that's it. You should see london streets they dont have space for monorail lol

I think London too have a system like monorail. Its called DLR (Docklands Light Railway).
220px-DLR_unit_109_at_Heron_Quays.JPG

London has the best public transport in the world. The main advantage i see in London Transport is that we can use a single ticket or oyster card in bus, underground, DLR and even to some Rail networks that runs inside London and its very easy to top up oyster cards. No need to queue up for taking tickets :tup:

There are plans to lay 3800km of tracks and which will cost Rs 700-1000 million per km (US$ 15-22 million/km). But I can't understand why Kerela is planning to lay separate track when central government is planning bullet trains between Kochi-Thiruvananthapuram.
Central Gov is planning to connect Chennai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Kochi-Thiruvananthapuram corridor. So if railway goes by this route only south of Kerala will benefit from it.
Since Kerala is a highly urbanized state from north to south and its difficult to distinguish between urban and rural settlements, we need a high speed transport for connecting the north and south of the state. Now it takes almost 16hrs to travel between north and south. If this railway network is opened the time will reduce to 2:45 hrs. Thats why the state Gov is planning for a separate corridor connecting north and south of the state ie,Thiruvananthapuram - Mangalore High-Speed Passenger Corridor with the help of Japan.
And the Tamil Nadu Chamber of Commerce and Industry wants the Chennai-Madurai-Nagercoil-Thiruvananthapuram corridor to be included in the list of six corridors already announced by the Railways for conducting pre-feasibility study for operation of high-speed bullet train. If this is also sanctioned Kerala is going to have three HSR altogether.:cheesy:

Central Gov is planning to connect Chennai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Kochi-Thiruvananthapuram corridor. So if railway goes by this route only south of Kerala will benefit from it.
Since Kerala is a highly urbanized state from north to south and its difficult to distinguish between urban and rural settlements, we need a high speed transport for connecting the north and south of the state. Now it takes almost 16hrs to travel between north and south. If this railway network is opened the time will reduce to 2:45 hrs. Thats why the state Gov is planning for a separate corridor connecting north and south of the state ie,Thiruvananthapuram - Mangalore High-Speed Passenger Corridor with the help of Japan.
And the Tamil Nadu Chamber of Commerce and Industry wants the Chennai-Madurai-Nagercoil-Thiruvananthapuram corridor to be included in the list of six corridors already announced by the Railways for conducting pre-feasibility study for operation of high-speed bullet train. If this is also sanctioned Kerala is going to have three HSR altogether.:cheesy:

Yes, same thing, why would there be two HSR lines from Kochi-Thiruvanthapuram, Kerala government should have gone for Kochi-Mangalore line. I read that Karnataka government is also planning for Bangalore-Hubli HSR.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Oh then you should come to my place here in Sikkim, my friend. Cable cars are more popular in mountain places than in plains. :D

Cable car are good in mountain Areas, I read it is used as Public transport in North-East. But can we dream of cable car as public transport in Delhi or Mumbai. :lol: :lol:

I looked into Wikipedia, following cities are getting both Metro and Monorail:-

1)Mumbai/Navi Mumbai
2)Chennai
3)Bangalore
4)Delhi
5)Indore
6)Kolkata
7)Patna
8)Pune

This is updated list:

List of the cities in India trying for metro/monorail.

Operating:
1) Kolkata
2) Delhi + Noida + Gurgaon
3) Bengaluru (Bangalore)

U/C (Metro):
1) Mumbai
2) Chennai
3) Jaipur
4) Gurgaon
5) Hyderabad
6) Navi Mumbai

U/C (Monorail):
1) Mumbai

Proposed (Metro):
1) Kochi
2) Ahmedabad
3) Pune
4) Chandigarh
5) Bhopal
6) Lucknow
7) Ludhiana
8) Kanpur
9) NOIDA
10) Srinagar
11) Jammu
12) Patna
13) Indore
14) Guwahati/Dispur
15) Amritsar
16) Visakhapatnam
17) Nagpur

Proposed (Monorail)
1) Chennai
2) Bangalore
3) Trivandrum
4) Coimbatore
5) Madurai
6) Trichy
7) Aizawl
8) Ahmedabad
9) Patna
10) Delhi
11) Kozhikode (Calicut)
12) Jodhpur

Gurgaon will get POD taxi – A futuristic transport system

No drivers, no rails, no emissions and no haggling over fares. The future of Gurgaon’s public transport is bubble shaped and it’s called a pod taxi.

Designed to work on specialized roads reserved for them, the space age pods are unmanned. And, if Haryana government is to be believed, these low energy, no emission vehicles will become Gurgaon’s transport reality in near future.

getimage.dll

getimage.dll

Model | Build, operate & transfer
Phase-I (New & Old Gurgaon) | 105 km, 143 stations
Stretch | Ist: 31km IInd: 74km
Pod density | 30 pods after every kilometre
Land Needed for a station | 100 sq yard
Facility at stations | Multi-level parking
Status | Detailed project report completed
Time needed | 18 months from the day of awarding of the project

Kerala roads is highly congested and we need some alternatives ASAP..but my question is whether a bullet train can solve our problem?
I am for a north south express highway than the 200 cr/km bullet train..as the express highway can take away the trucks, trailers, long distance buses and such other vehicles freeing the normal roads for other vehicles. Bullet train , if I am not mistaken, does not have a goods option. This if I am correct will lead to lesser fuel consumption in all over state as well as making our cities congestion free.

Back
Top Bottom