successfully test Mumbai Monorail system

praveen007

Reaction score
Country
India
Scomi successfully test Mumbai Monorail system
++
Mumbai-Monorail-Pic-1.jpg

Monorail journey for Mumbaikars is not far away, as the first four-car train set of the Mumbai Monorail Project was successfully tested between Wadala and Bhakti Park on February 18,
Mumbai Monorail on its trail run from Wadala to Bhakti Park on February 18, 2012.

The testing was done by ScomiIndia, the development agency which bagged the contract to develop India’s first 19.54 km Monorail system in Mumbai in partnership with Larsen & Turbro, the engineering consulting firm.
The consortium bagged the $ 541 million contract from Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) contract in November 2008 and in January 2010, Scomi announced the completion and successful 108-meter trail run of the first monorail car.

Speaking to VimanaVarta.com, Kanesan Veluppillai, Scomi – International President said,
“The full fledge operations will be started by June 2012 and it will be the quietest mass transit system in the city.”
The system are said to be ideal for urban congested corridors like Mumbai, due to its maneuverability and nimbleness to navigate tight turns and narrow corridors and it can be constructed avoiding the needs to dismantle existing structures and buildings.
The system is primarily meant to be a feeder mode of transport to supplement the mass transport systems and will be well connected with the existing suburban rail and the upcoming metro rail in the city, he added.
It is a clean means of public transport as it moves on rubber tyres on concrete beams creating less noise and vibration during operation and is powered by electric motors which are silent, efficient and clean and is estimated to save approximately 200 tonnes of CO2 a day.
Experts believe that Monorail can de-congest the traffic in the area, improve connectivity and reduce travel time for commuters. The relatively small and lightweight structures of a monorail system can be constructed very quickly shortening implementation time.
It offers increased cost savings, along the whole process of its implementation, once the monorail is already up and running, it is also often cheaper and more efficient than other modes of transportation.

Environment friendly mode of transport is must for metropolitans like Mumbai.....2010-2020 is going to be an interesting decade.....

All metros need this badly. Mumbai especially.. it is crrroooowwwded. I remember my first time when I had just moved back from Delhi to Gangtok and went to Mumbai for a friend's marriage. It was one helluva shock! We don't have so much crowd in entire Sikkim that Mumbai had in one major block! :D

But yea... Hiranandani rocks! :P

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the difference between a monorail and a metro?? :blink:

PS : Lazy to go to google and find it out, a simple 1-2 line answer will suffice..!! :cheers:

Main difference is in its track system.
Monorail- single wide track.
Metro- parallel track similar to railways.

And monorail is less noisy, runs of rubber tyres, uses less space to build hence suitable for a congested area but also have less passenger carrying capacity then metro train.

There are many Monorail projects in India and all of them are in highly congested areas or will act as feeder to Metro trains.

Hope it also opens in the western region i am really having tough time to go to college even in 1st class compartment of mum locals

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom