What's new

Sri Lankan PM offers worship at Guruvayur temple

I am aware that Gold Ornaments and Cash is being donated in Guruvayur Temple. If those charity boxes are placed at the outer part of temple , this again means that non Hindus are not allowed in Guruvayur Temple.
Right!!
Non-Hindus 're not allowed to enter the temple premises but their offerings 're always welcome. :P
(I hope the temple allows non-Hindus inside the chuttambalam of the temple too).
why just Temples infact south Indians are more conscious when it comes to general cleanliness than North India (according to intellectual like katju)

The reason behind south Indian Temples are more clean and well maintained could be strict ritual rules compared to North India,For example in Mathura/vrindavan a 10 year old could enter a temple even in his School Dress without preforming any useless ritual
Some of the rituals 're indeed baseless and meaningless, the temple could do without 'em.
Why only for women? Why not for men.....I for one never liked removing my shirt for entering chuttambalam.
Shirt is not allowed but men in my family use veshthi to cover the upper part of body.
And ladies wear settu-mundu.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Perception!!
I find temples in Kerala very well maintained (clean and organised) compared to North Indian temples. Don't misconstrue it as arrogance of a Keralite but this is true, and this is my experience.
I would agree to the progressive outlook part when it comes to allowing ppl from other religion into the temple.

Lol
There 're big (locked) charity boxes near the chuttambalam (outer part of temple) which is maintained by the temple authority and is well guarded, it here that the ppl(from other religions) donate gold ornaments and cash.
Whoa!!
I definitely visiting this temple next time when I'm in India. :)

Lotus and incense sticks 're no big deal. In Sabrimala temple (Kerala) the temple's festival begins at a mosque.
You a mallu,say yes ,inutu venam 2 pachaki vilikyan

Do not go there if you do not like it!:-):-)

True...but the question remains why the exemption given to women are not given to men. Anyways I stay outside the chuttambalam if the dresscode requires removal of shirt.

True...but the question remains why the exemption given to women are not given to men. Anyways I stay outside the chuttambalam if the dresscode requires removal of shirt.

The positive energy/anugraham poured through the head of a women and through chest of men.

Unlike Northern women, our women never cover their head at temple.!

Non-Hindus 're not allowed to enter the temple premises but their offerings 're always welcome. :P
(I hope the temple allows non-Hindus inside the chuttambalam of the temple too).

IMO all believers in temple deity and customs should be welcomed irrespective of religion!

May be you dont know how strict the rules were for the females.
Once I had gone to a relative's house near the temple, and my relatives took me to Guruvayoor shetram. Usually I go dressed in traditional dress whenever I visit the temple, but unfortunately that day I was wearing salwar kurta, and I could not say no to my relatives, and finally I accompanied 'em to the temple.
We had bought a mundu from a stall near the temple, which I had wrapped around my kameez, hiding the salwar worn below it. But a man from the devasom spotted a tiny part of my salwar peeping out of the mundu and asked me to remove my salwar. Frankly it was very embarrassing!!!
I had made up my mind not to remove the salwar as the mundu wrapped over it is just a thin veil (men might wear it but not women). So I pulled the mundu further down and joined long queue infront of the temple again. That was my experience as a teenager!

Relaxing the dress rules for women was a welcome change.

The positive energy/anugraham poured through the head of a women and through chest of men.

Unlike Northern women, our women never cover their head at temple.!

IMO all believers in temple deity and customs should be welcomed irrespective of religion!
dress code has nothing to do with energy,the true reason for the dress code is to find out who is a brahmin or upper cast,not long ago others where not allowed into the temple.
Now its just being continued but has no purpose

dress code has nothing to do with energy,the true reason for the dress code is to find out who is a brahmin or upper cast,not long ago others where not allowed into the temple.
Now its just being continued but has no purpose

Dude, if they wanted to know the brahmin, it is more easy since others were not allowed! This system was there for quite long time.

Dude, if they wanted to know the brahmin, it is more easy since others were not allowed! This system was there for quite long time.
Yes the system is there for a long time,do you have any other reason for the dress code

Yes the system is there for a long time,do you have any other reason for the dress code
Dressing system is rather ever changing in Kerala. It will change eventually since lots of temples are now accepting pants and churidars.

Back
Top Bottom