What's new

Muslim man lynched in India ‘for taking a banana’ at Hindu temple event

Vanguard One

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Mob ties the 22-year-old to a pole and beats him to death over allegations he stole ‘prasad’ or religious offering.

New Delhi, India – Sitting outside his home in a narrow lane in India’s capital, Mohammad Wajid recounts the killing of his 22-year-old son to a TV journalist.

Inside, the four sisters of Mohammad Ishaq look sullen as they huddle together at their dimly lit house in New Delhi’s Sundar Nagri area on Wednesday.

KEEP READING​

list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4

‘Shattered’: Muslim engineer killed by mob at mosque in India’s Maharashtra

list 2 of 4

Ten jailed in India’s Jharkhand for 2019 lynching of Muslim man

list 3 of 4

‘It was his birthday’: Muslim lynched over beef in western India

list 4 of 4

Anti-Muslim hate speech in India spikes around elections, report says

end of list
“I have lost everything,” Ishaq’s father Abdul Wajid told Al Jazeera as his eyes welled up with tears and his voice broke.

At around 5am on Tuesday, a mob tied Ishaq to an iron pole with a leather belt and beat him up mercilessly on suspicion that he had stolen “prasad”, or a ritualistic offering, at a prayer event organised by the area’s Hindus to observe the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.

The event was held three lanes away from Ishaq’s house in Sunder Nagri area of the Indian capital.

1695937251440.png

Wajid shows a photo of his son on his mobile phone [Meer Faisal/Al Jazeera]

“My son was killed because he ate prasad,” Wajid, 60, said. “Those who killed my son found it offensive that a Muslim touched their prasad.”

Wajid, who sells vegetables in a pushcart, said his Hindu customers often offer him the prasad and he accepts it without a second thought. “Prasad is a gift from bhagwan or Allah. I do not refuse it.”

Killed ‘for taking a banana’​

Ishaq’s sister Uzma told Al Jazeera her brother was lynched “for taking a banana” and the mob left him tied to the pole after the brutal assault.

“His nails were broken, some taken out and his fingers had cuts. He was brutally beaten because he was a Muslim,” she said. “He was unable to speak and his condition was critical.”

1695937297493.png

Ishaq’s sisters inside their one-room house at Sunder Nagri in New Delhi [Meer Faisal/Al Jazeera]

Uzma said Ishaq was found lying on the road by a boy from their neighbourhood who picked him up and brought him home. He succumbed to his injuries a few hours later at his home.

Ishaq’s family said they did not take him to hospital. The police said they were informed about the incident after he had passed away.

As a video of the assault went viral on social media, people demanded action by the police, which registered a case of murder and arrested six people.

“The initial inquiry has found that a group of men stopped him on the suspicion that he was a thief and then they tied and beat him.” Joy N Tirkey, the police official in the area, said in a video statement.

According to the neighbours, Ishaq was mentally challenged. “He was a simple boy who did not bring any harm to anyone,” autorickshaw driver Mohammad Saleem, who lives in the same lane, told Al Jazeera.

1695937346597.png

The spot on the terrace of the house where Ishaq used to sleep [Meer Faisal/Al Jazeera]

He said Ishaq would help everyone in the lane carry their load. “He was a good boy. He never said no. We would pay him 20 or 50 rupees for the job.”
Wajid wants justice for the killing of his only son.

“We are so far satisfied with the police action but we want the men who killed my son to receive the same fate,” he said.

Assaults and mob lynchings, mainly of Muslims, have been rising in India since Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came to power in 2014. The government denies the allegation.

Dozens of Muslims have been lynched or attacked by far-right Hindu mobs over suspicion of killing cows, whose slaughter is banned in most Indian states because some Hindus consider cows sacred.

Sharjeel Usmani a New Delhi-based Muslim student activist, said Ishaq’s lynching reveals “a dark reality about a shift in how a section of Hindu society practices their religion”.

“Lynching a Muslim has become akin to a ritual and that’s something Hindu leaders must think about,” he said.
Bano, who goes by one name and lives in the house opposite Wajid’s, told Al Jazeera no politician has visited the family so far.

“They are poor people. They should be helped but we know no one will come because we are Muslim,” she said.

Additional reporting by Sameer Mushtaq
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA

You can find such stories coming out of India every day. No one knows how many of real incidents are happening there because Indian media and Government try to hide it.

India needs replica punishments. Eye for an eye. In open and shut cases like this the culprits should meet the same fate as the victim, in the same fashion. Ony danda works in this country. Preferably two, up the arseholes before their sorry existence is eliminated.

India needs replica punishments. Eye for an eye. In open and shut cases like this the culprits should meet the same fate as the victim, in the same fashion. Ony danda works in this country. Preferably two, up the arseholes before their sorry existence is eliminated.

Muslims usually have their houses razed as a form of communal punishment in India.

Firearms are not common in India but one can imagine what it would be like if an average Indian is armed.

In that Delhi bus rape incident, a steel pipe was used to rape the woman till she died.

Firearms are not common in India but one can imagine what it would be like if an average Indian is armed.
If Indians get armed, we will be Mexico on steroids.

In that Delhi bus rape incident, a steel pipe was used to rape the woman till she died.
That's why I think the culprits got away easily with hangings and suicides. They should have had steel pipes inserted in their arseholes till they were dead

Prasad is Haram for a Muslim person to eat anyway

I think this is a basic knowledge… so he must not have stolen it. It is sad to hear such stories.. this mob culture in our subcontinent is depressing

If Indians get armed, we will be Mexico on steroids.
Liberia or Congo. Out of many nations residing in geographical India, most have cannibalistic intentions towards others.
That's why I think the culprits got away easily with hangings and suicides. They should have had steel pipes inserted in their arseholes till they were dead
I have not seen one news article from India where the law has been strictly applied on mobs or individuals targeting minorities. Somehow they become local politicians as a reward and have rallies taken out in their support.

Liberia or Congo. Out of many nations residing in geographical India, most have cannibalistic intentions towards others.
Hell no, we Hindu baniya veggie pajeets only chew brains.

BTW, do you get non veg papad in ancient Sindh?

Hell no, we Hindu baniya veggie pajeets only chew brains.

BTW, do you get non veg papad in ancient Sindh?

Isn't the human brain a delicacy in India? CNN once ruined my appetite with an episode about it.

Nah. It's all non veg pappad there. They ain't gonna change

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom