What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Pakistan bookmakers reveal depth of cricket match-fixing scandal

Huddled over a makeshift desk in a dimly lit office, the life led by Nomi Khan appears a world away from the fabulous luxury enjoyed by cricket’s corrupt match fixers.

Only the shrill of mobile phones from the seven at his disposal and his sharp suit give a hint the 30-year-old’s business is special.

As a bookie working the illegal betting rings, Khan – not his real name – takes home in a year what it would take the average man 115 to earn.

Here on the heaving streets of Lahore it is as far from a genteel Lords test as you could imagine.

At the roundabout near the Gaddafi Cricket Stadium where Sri Lanka’s cricketers were attacked by terrorists last year, police tout AK47s. The debris of a suicide bombing, which left nearly 30 dead, is being swept up a few streets away.

It is this chaotic setting that the illegal bookies whose power straddles cricket call home.

LUXURY

The Daily Mirror today blows the lid on the dodgy bets, rigged matches and endemic corruption eating away at the “gentleman’s game”.

Our investigation unveils the huge profits bent bookmakers in Lahore make routinely from international matches across the globe.

And we can reveal how poverty-stricken punters in Pakistan are the ones who really suffer when matches are fixed.

For days we had tried to set up a meeting with one of the illegal bookies in Pakistan’s cricket capital. We were told most still fear reprisals following widespread anger at the allegations surrounding the Pakistan test team. But eventually one, Khan, agreed to be interviewed.

In cricket betting for five years, he is deeply embedded in match-fixing. And, as long as we kept his identity secret, he was happy to explain how he makes nearly £270,000 a year tax free. A staggering sum in a region where earnings average between £100 and £200 a month.

He lives a playboy lifestyle, with a luxury property and flash cars. “I rent out a separate flat for my business because it is totally illegal,” married Khan says. “I have seven people in a room on phones all the time. When people say they will pay up over the phone this is a contract.

“The reason I’ve managed to do so well here in Pakistan is that people will bet on anything in cricket. Cricket is the perfect sport, much more than football, because there are so many aspects of the match you can give odds on.”

Last week’s revelation that Pakistan’s bowlers allegedly threw no-balls to order was no shock to Khan. He takes bets on no-balls, which opening batsmen will make 50 and even who will win the toss. Another seemingly rigged bet is when people predict the score after a certain number of overs, even how it will end in a specific number.

Amongst his regular punters, about 20% already know the outcome when they place their stake, he admits. His biggest gamblers collectively often wager up to half a million pounds on apparently long odds. Khan can read the tell-tale signs of a fix. “The players’ body language is the key sign,” he went on. Whenever there is a very sudden batting collapse I am clear about this, or you can guess there is something going on when the captain chooses strange field placings.”

Bookmakers make their money through those without criminal connections who are not privy to the insider information, he said.

These unlucky betters unwittingly provide a pot for pay-outs to fixers, dishonest players and a cut for the bookies.

So widespread is the desperation in some parts of Lahore that punters place wagers on incidents in the street.

Another syndicate insider said: “I heard of one instance recently where a bookie took bets by a cemetery. “He was giving odds on whether the person in the coffin was male or female. The gravedigger confirmed the *** of the person he was burying before he paid out.

“Another time a guy took bets on the colour of the next motorbike to crash at a busy junction. There are smashes all the time so they were able to see several in a few hours.”

To make so much in so little time, Khan had to be ruthless. He is matter-of-fact about meting out punishment beatings. “My average bet is probably over £20,000,” he reveals. “I deal with rich people and people who haven’t really got much money.

“Sometimes I am a gentleman with my clients, sometimes I have to get tough. If people keep coming up with lame excuses I have to use force. I have some big guys who do that work for me.”

Khan has to pay off bigger bookies to take out the loans he needs to pay out when a rigged bet comes in. Our fixer told us these bookies answer ultimately to notorious gang boss Dawood Ibrahim, Thought to be worth over £4billion, he is believed to ultimately control cricket match-fixing.

BRIBES

The Indian-born racketeer, said to live in Karachi, made most of his money through drug trafficking and extortion. His daughter Mahrukh is married to Junaid Miandad, the son of legendary ex-Pakistan cricket captain Javed Miandad, although there is no suggestion either of them have been involved in illegal activity.

The network of illegal betting syndicates stretches from Pakistan and India, to London and Johannesburg claims Khan. He claims politicians are involved in match-fixing and local police take bribes from bookies.

So Khan was not shocked by what allegedly happened at Lords. He adds: “If Mazhar Majeed (The sports agent under investigation for match fixing) is guilty he is just small-fry. The rumour is he has been hung out to dry by one of the big syndicates that operate here and in India.

“No one bets on league matches in Pakistan,” he says. “It’s always internationals.”

Khan claims that teams have even thrown a series of matches after players were tempted by backhanders.

“One team was supposed to lose three matches and they did,” Khan proudly claims. “There will always be players tempted by the money.”

With that his phone rings again and he gets up to leave the table to take another wager from a mysterious punter.

Before he goes there’s just time to ask if he’s scared of jail. He scoffs: “The courts would probably just hold me overnight. I’d pay bail, then be freed.”

Pakistan bookmakers reveal depth of cricket match-fixing scandal - mirror.co.uk

im sure that indian push on ICC to ban the players as the ICC chief is from india yet they have to be proven guilty no law of the world make anyone crimnal yet they have proven guilty proven guilty means they have been prooved not on the basis of such videos who you dont know when they been made and if ICC law is this than ICC is the biggest corrupt organization in the world it self who have double standards

im sure that indian push on ICC to ban the players as the ICC chief is from india yet they have to be proven guilty no law of the world make anyone crimnal yet they have proven guilty proven guilty means they have been prooved not on the basis of such videos who you dont know when they been made and if ICC law is this than ICC is the biggest corrupt organization in the world it self who have double standards

You should consider yourself lucky that it is an Indian ICC chief, previous ICC chief Malcolm Speed would have banned Pakistani team from international cricket.

Suspend Pakistan over fixing claims : Malcolm Speed ~ Cricket Blitz

and who owns PCB?GOP!

Well, on second thoughts, you may be correct. But I would recommend checking this one. A few years back, there was a big controversy when the BCCI stated that the players play for the board and not the country. They had to take back those comments due to public outcry but technically they were correct.

Regardless, hanging someone for a 'sin' as match fixing is not reasonable. But I realize you didn't mean it literally...or did you?

yup,but they represent pakistan

Sure, I agree. But I am talking from a legal point of view. They are not on the payroll of the government and there is no law to justify a death penalty to them.

But let's see if they are guilty first. Such threats of death penalty is worse than death itself. And if they turn out to be innocent, you will be cursing yourself.

for your kind of information malcom speed never was ICC chief on first place and no one cares about him even when he was with ICC

for your kind of information malcom speed never was ICC chief on first place and no one cares about him even when he was with ICC

Yes but he was ICCs Chief executive officer, and does not matter if you care or not. If he had been a CEO, he would have made life tough for Pakistan..

besides if BCCI was scheming against Pakistan, then why did PCB support Sharad Pawar's bid for ICC chief..PCB should have supported Australia's John Howard.. it would have been fun to watch he would have done ..specially with buffo*n like Malcolm Speed as his sidekick.

Actually - if India wants - it can get Pakistan banned from Cricket like South Africa was banned from '71-'91. Be thankful they are not.

Also explain to me why Salam Butt at cover is looking at Muhammad Amir instead of the batsman when the bowl is being bowled?

While you are it, look up the word denial. I can understand your feelings bro. You WANT them to be proven innocent. But, facts are facts.

It's a shame. But yea, facts are facts.

I do think, despite the animosity, Indians would behave more humanly to Pakistan than Goras. Had it been an Australian or English ICC chief, you would have faced more tough measures.

Depite what you people say, PCB and BCCI are friends.

Suspension is natural! How do you expect normal people like me to watch a match in which players are "suspected".

Everywhere in the WORLD, whenever there is an allegation backed by some evidence, the person is IMMEDIATELY suspended. If claims are found to be true, further action is taken.

I just googled "Suspended following allegations": http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...4KEGAAAAqgQFT9DjLDI&pbx=1&fp=d331bd8e2d0de10c

Read all these news articles!

Drexel players suspended from team after charges
Physical therapist suspended following allegations of sexual misconduct
John Higgins suspended following News of the World allegations to fix snooker matches

Suspending someone while an investigation is pending is actually good. That way you are in no pressure to decide in a haste. You can take your time, evaluate carefully and then decide the punishment.

Last edited:
The International Cricket Council has suspended Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif, the three players implicated in the Lord's spot-fixing scandal, under the provisions of the Anti-Corruption Code.

On Thursday, Pakistan officials made a robust protestation of the players' innocence, with the High Commissioner to the UK, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, suggesting in an interview with the BBC that the three men had been the victims of a "set-up".

However, ICC's chief executive, Haroon Lorgat, said: "We will not tolerate corruption in cricket - simple as that.

ICC suspend trio under anti-corruption code | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Asim Aquil, if you are reading this, then I had predicted the scenario many days before it happened. I put forth my analysis that since an Indian being at the helm of ICC, India obsessed Pakistani cricket board will make it again India Pakistan thing and these tainted players will be shielded by Pakistani authorities.

Although you ridiculed it, this is really what has happened. Authorities are indulging in cover up as you can see. putting forth conspiracy theories.

ICC must set an example by taking strictest possible action against these greedy cricketers.

But you know what, Sharad Pawar being at top of ICC, any action taken will be immediately politicised by pakistan and it will become yet another India pakistan issue (like the one in IPL :D). Where PCB will have to take a line for defending these tainted players.

These greedy bastards are lucky I guess.

This is going to be yet another kamran-akmal-style-let-go scenario with these cricketers.

How about making me an honorary Think Tank. ;)

Tough talk from the boss provokes red faces among staff at the embassy - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

The Pakistani high commissioner, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, has, for some, become one of the most entertaining figures in the saga of the Pakistani cricket team and the fixing scandal exposed by the News of the World.

Mr Hasan went on television to declare that the players engulfed in the alleged betting scam were innocent – he had "got to the bottom of it" he said just by speaking to them. Captain Salman Butt and bowlers Mohammed Aamer and Mohammed Asif have been subjected to "mental torture", he added, and the International Cricket Council had "no business" suspending them. What's more, the whole thing had been cooked up by middleman Mazhar Majeed and Indian bookmakers, with the players "set up" by the News of the World.

This has proved wince-inducing for some of the career diplomats at the Pakistani legation in Belgravia. The comments by the representative of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan at the Court of St James's are portrayed as the latest in a line of gaffs which have included pronouncements on a British Muslim child kidnapped in Pakistan and the arrests of Pakistani terror suspects in this country.

One Pakistani diplomat said he felt "depressed" that some of his colleagues had, instead of thinking how to be seen standing up to the problem of corruption, been considering how to vilify the News of the World journalist Mazher Mahmood. At an impromptu press conference held by Mr Hasan outside the Pakistani high commission, staff were handing out copies of an article about Mahmood by the media commentator Roy Greenslade.

"I heard one of my colleagues say that this chap Mahmood is actually secretly Jewish – can you believe it!" said the diplomat.

"I suppose it is quite funny for outsiders, but the rest of us find it embarrassing. Anyway, it'll backfire, I have my own contacts among journalists and I am told they [the News of the World] will produce more things on Sunday."

The diplomat added: "We had a great chance here to show that we were taking this matter extremely seriously and would root out any corruption. Instead we took a position we couldn't sustain, ended giving contradictory statements, lost out anyway and made a lot of our friends in the cricketing world angry."

The ICC has gone ahead with its suspension of the three players who were interviewed by the police, and senior figures in the England and Wales Cricket Board have been incensed by the remarks made by Mr Hasan and Ijaz Butt, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board.

On the subject of the commissioner, the diplomat said: "We are trying to get him off the TV screens, but there's no stopping him."

The views of the diplomat and his colleagues in the foreign service may not be entirely unbiased. They have been suspicious of Mr Hasan since his arrival as a political appointee of Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari, who is the widower of Benazir Bhutto and is known as "Mr Ten Per Cent".

Allies of Mr Hasan say that his detractors are connected to the Pakistani secret service, the ISI, and the military and are "saying bad things about him" because he is a long-term opponent of the former ruler, General Pervez Musharraf. The diplomat rejects this. "What on earth has all this to do with cricket? The only military thing here is that we have a loose cannon in our hands."

Back
Top Bottom