What's new

South Korea Defence Forum

South Korea just export US designed weapons with US components.
Sounds something like that but for South Korea size and population. That is still very impressive.

well they got it in a finish product, but knowing my stupid government they'll spend billions for a complete new system that will take years and will probably be scrapped.
It's all not wasted. The process and some know how can be the catalyst for next successful product.

Do you know FA-50 is running in what engine?

And the FA-50 from side looks like JL-9 :D

They have uncanny similarity, but I think they were also influenced by Kawasaki T4 trainer, which rolled out in 1985. :)

We have around 200 or so of these 'trainers' which can be easily converted to light multirole fighters. The same purpose for the TA-50/ FA-50s. :)

JASDF_kawsaki_T-4.jpg

JASDF_T-4_20090822-01.JPG

Kawasaki_T-4,_Japan_-_Air_Force_AN2276800.jpg

06-5638%20Hyakuri%2018-10-11%20%283%29_edited-1.jpg

well they got it in a finish product, but knowing my stupid government they'll spend billions for a complete new system that will take years and will probably be scrapped.

The US is actually planning to purchase a squadron or so of FA-50s.

South Korea needed US approval to extend the reach of their missiles :lol:

Look it up.

They have uncanny similarity, but I think they were also influenced by Kawasaki T4 trainer, which rolled out in 1985. :)

We have around 200 or so of these 'trainers' which can be easily converted to light multirole fighters. The same purpose for the TA-50/ FA-50s. :)

JASDF_kawsaki_T-4.jpg

Kawasaki T-4 share more lineage with euro Alpha jet. They belongs to previous generation of trainer but T-4 is definitely more update and advance.

T-4 belongs to the generation of pure trainer times. While SK FA-50 not only can act as trainer but if neccessary, turn into real fighter due to its supersonic speed. Same as China JL-9 and L-15.

Sounds something like that but for South Korea size and population. That is still very impressive.

It's all not wasted. The process and some know how can be the catalyst for next successful product.

not all, but it's time consuming and money consuming compared going for obvious decision.

it's like for the instance the JAGM program. when a similar missile already exists Brimestone. so we'll spend 100's of millions over 5 years and just end up with a missile with about the same in performance and cost. why not team up with the Brits and use that money instead to improve that product??

Joint Air-to-Ground Missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't be naive and think that US license produce meaning you have the full intellectual property of the US cutting edge 4th gen tutbofan engine.

They initiated it, sure, but that doesn't mean that the Koreans or anyone else for that matter can't make modifications of the said system and call it their own. Let us not underestimate the capabilities of the Koreans, they are shrewd at research and as dedicated to succeed as a Japanese, Chinese. And that says a lot.

I am sure you know US is not dumb. Turkey has been pioneer in licensing PWF-100 engine for decades and yet the best they can intellectually produce at the moment is only a small turbofan for cruise missile.

Let's not bring the Turks into this discussion.

South Korea is still far from breaking independent from US or western. Their sales are still very dictated by the US and need their blessing. For example, can south Korea negotiated their FA-50 with Argentina? I am sure you are aware of Saab failed attempt to sell GRIPEN becos of western lobby.

I doubt the US can influence Seoul like that, besides, there has to be a 'quid pro quo' for that relationship. If the US will sell THAAD systems to Korea and enable it to be deployed, then I'm sure the Americans will be prepared to yield to some concessions per the Korean request. Yes? The relationship between Seoul and Washington isn't purely one sided , and the Yanks know this.

But for a country size of south Korea, we still need to give credit for their achievement.

Indeed and Absolutely. No one can deny the high efficiency, capability of the Korean people and the Korean industry. They have a bright future ahead, and their success imbues the rest of Greater East Asia with qualitative precedent. All the more China and Japan will have to work harder to compete with the Koreans.

I say: Mansae! Banzai! Ganbei! ;)

JASDF_kawsaki_T-4.jpg

The US is actually planning to purchase a squadron or so of FA-50s.

looks like a BAE Hawk.

FA-50s probably for Iraq or Afghanistan I bet.

BAE hawk wing is at the bottom of fuselage and air inlet.

yeah. still got a resemblance of it.

if it was painted all black you could easily mistake the two if you wasn't really aware.

looks like a BAE Hawk.

FA-50s probably for Iraq or Afghanistan I bet.

Yup, Iraq approved an order of 24 units of the FA-50s. Definitely they're impressive for their size and their price. For Afghanistan , they should order at least a squadron of these as foundation for a modern air force. Developing countries will find the FA-50 really attractive (as per their budgets).

Some developing countries in Southeast Asia such as Cambodia, Laos, Burma could do well with these. And the FA-50 is the 'solution' for the Philippine Air Force. The Philippines purchased 12 and i think they also expressed interests to acquire more. Let's say the Philippines orders an additional 12 of these --- that will bring their Air Force's fighters to 24 --- and give them decent air defense air interdiction capability.

KAI is really doing a great job. Damn Impressive job.

FA-50 ---- in action !!

매우 인상적!

Yup, Iraq approved an order of 24 units of the FA-50s. Definitely they're impressive for their size and their price. For Afghanistan , they should order at least a squadron of these as foundation for a modern air force. Developing countries will find the FA-50 really attractive (as per their budgets).

Some developing countries in Southeast Asia such as Cambodia, Laos, Burma could do well with these. And the FA-50 is the 'solution' for the Philippine Air Force. The Philippines purchased 12 and i think they also expressed interests to acquire more. Let's say the Philippines orders an additional 12 of these --- that will bring their Air Force's fighters to 24 --- and give them decent air defense air interdiction capability.

KAI is really doing a great job. Damn Impressive job.

that's what I figured. if U.S is impressed by the FA-50 we might pull the trigger on it with a U.S radar and avionics.

they really need a bird like the OV-10 Bronco though

The Amazing OV-10 Bronco Was Never Allowed To Meet Its Full Potential

that's what I figured. if U.S is impressed by the FA-50 we might pull the trigger on it with a U.S radar and avionics.

Broncos were really impressive offensive fighters, and great for ground support. Their role were somewhat given to the A-10 Thunderbolt II,

Wargraphic_A10.jpg

The Thai Air Force used to use the Broncos, then they sold those to the Philippines, i believe.

Broncos were really impressive offensive fighters, and great for ground support. Their role were somewhat given to the A-10 Thunderbolt II,

Wargraphic_A10.jpg

The Thai Air Force used to use the Broncos, then they sold those to the Philippines, i believe.

OV-10 is very capable. it's no tankbuster like the A10 though... well it could be

OV-10X_Bronco.png

Back
Top Bottom