What's new

"Sir G Kal" - Why is it so deep rooted in Indian psychology?

coffee_cup

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Reading forum posts, news from all the main Indian media or watching some popular random Indian TV shows members had posted, I have been wondering why is this "Sir G Kal" strike so deeply rooted into Indian psychology.

Could it be, because growing up they hear it so often that this "Sir G Kal" has become an inseparable part of their thought process (if they have one)?:

Customer to Chai Wala: When do I get my tee?
Chai Wala: Sir G Kal.

Policeman to Paan Wala: Oye where is my bhatta?
Paan Wala: Sir G Kal

Teacher to Student: Home work done?
Student: Sir G Kal

Modi to Ajit Devil: Oye Ajitay, Pariker, Accusing Pakistan is not enough, what do we do?
Ajit Devil + Manohar (in chorus): Sir G Kal.

Any ideas? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
After all, there is a deep reason the word for tomorrow and yesterday is the same in Urdu/Hindi. :D

@mods does not tag the mods. @mods was the former nic of some troll who got banned just like @Topic

Oh ok, thanks man.

So any thoughts on these "Sir G Kal" Strikes?

After all, there is a deep reason the word for tomorrow and yesterday is the same in Urdu/Hindi. :D

Interesting, never thought of it that way.

Kal = Yesterday but also Tomorrow

But I think in Urdu they something like: "Guzra hoa Kal" and "Aaney wala Kal" and then short it just "Kal"

But I think in Urdu they something like: "Guzra hoa Kal" and "Aaney wala Kal" and then short it just "Kal"

Usually the tense of the sentence should be sufficient to differentiate the two kals unless someone needs further clarification

Usually the tense of the sentence should be sufficient to differentiate the two kals unless someone needs further clarification

Yes, true.

Kal kya tha. Kal KareiN ga. .... makes pretty much clear which "Kal" is meant.

Yes, true.

Kal kya tha. Kal KareiN ga. .... makes pretty much clear which "Kal" is meant.

Try doing that in English. Replace kal with tomorrow (or yesterday if you like)

Tomorrow I will go to the market
Tomorrow I went to the market

Try doing that in English. Replace kal with tomorrow (or yesterday if you like)

Tomorrow I will go to the market

Tomorrow I went to the market

With all those Indian time machines you never know when they could jump "Back to the future" and then lose the feelings of time and space. Difference between 2016 and 1971 could become very confusing.

So there you go, the possibility. :p:

"Sir G kal" is normally used when someone has no intention of doing the thing in the first place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom