What's new

Sikh leader asked to remove turban in Rome: India calls Italian envoy

This issue goes very deep and not that easy to resolve as many people here and elsewhere think about it. First of all, its a matter of pride to tie a turban and carry it through as it has been taught by our ancestors and 'Shri Guru Granth Sahib'. Many Sikhs centuries ago have laid down their lives bcz of our religions values(hair & turban) so its not easy to bypass those values. Secondly, a turban is not like cap which can be removed and wore back in a minute. It takes time to tie a turban (takes me 5-10 mins)...some Sikhs takes even more to tie it with more precision. Its usually a 5-7 meter cloth so its not easy to take it off and put it on. At security checks, guards can easily use metal detectors and cover the whole head area and no Sikh ever objects to that. So its not a big issue if just security matters are concerned. However, many people seeing Sikhs in turban for the first time might find it odd and get paranoid and thats when such things usually happen. We at own level should just try to create more awareness regarding our religion/culture values and act patiently whenever/wherever such situation arise.

This issue goes very deep and not that easy to resolve as many people here and elsewhere think about it. First of all, its a matter of pride to tie a turban and carry it through as it has been taught by our ancestors and 'Shri Guru Granth Sahib'. Many Sikhs centuries ago have laid down their lives bcz of our religions values(hair & turban) so its not easy to bypass those values. Secondly, a turban is not like cap which can be removed and wore back in a minute. It takes time to tie a turban (takes me 5-10 mins)...some Sikhs takes even more to tie it with more precision. Its usually a 5-7 meter cloth so its not easy to take it off and put it on. At security checks, guards can easily use metal detectors and cover the whole head area and no Sikh ever objects to that. So its not a big issue if just security matters are concerned. However, many people seeing Sikhs in turban for the first time might find it odd and get paranoid and thats when such things usually happen. We at own level should just try to create more awareness regarding our religion/culture values and act patiently whenever/wherever such situation arise.

I know it takes nearly 20 mins, if you want to do the whole thing, lol my mate in college used to miss college bus daily :lol:
But this is the age of terror, people outside are paranoid. Sikhs should consider just wearing the inner turban while travelling.

@Abingdonboy dont you think govt is overreacting... I mean calling envoy? We usually do for some serious issues, not trivial ones.

Imagine Indian envoy is called for something trivial, we all will be livid.

Increidble overreaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noone should be above publlic safety. Your burqa or turban or your personal feelings should mean very little when it comes to saving innocent peoples lives.

What is wrong in asking to remove turban during security check?

Well,It depends on who you are doing security checks on.Will you be outraged if someone ask our PM to remove turban over security concerns.

Well,It depends on who you are doing security checks on.Will you be outraged if someone ask our PM to remove turban over security concerns.
These guys were nothing of that sort, I can understand about Kalam episode, that needed strong reaction.

Also call UAEs Envoy because indian man was not allowed in dubai metro wearing a dhoti! :rofl:

This seems like the best explanation so far.

The awareness needs to be spread since those countries are ignorant and thinks it's just some kinda "cap" or "hat".And these security checks started from 9/11 attacks and we all know who did it.The ignorants in those countries think Sikhs are middle eastern people.

Bro, I've seen enough of these BS threads here on PDF to last a lifetime and shared my insight on most. I'm frankly too lazy to continuously bang my head against a brick wall with these Pakistani members. If they want to believe Sikhs want to go to Pakistan where they are actually already in the process of fleeing from- so be it. Let them live in their fantasy world and clutch at straws- I'm not going to lose any sleep over these delusions and neither should any sensible Indian.

I have also seen those fake sympathy Pakistanis show for Sikhs.If Pakistanis are so in love with Sikhs then they should give WHOLE PUNJAB on their side and make Lahore as capital and make a Sikh as it's PM.

But wait... at this point Pakistani members suddenly starts making excuses and get angry since they HATE Sikhs since Sikhs beat them badly in wars.Pakistanis only wants to instigate Sikhs against India but Sikhs always showed they are one of the most patriotic.

they corrected their mistake without even calling!! Lols

Seems like Rafay reads half-cooked stories and ready to present it as well.

Sikhs should consider just wearing the inner turban while travelling.

No Sikhs won't do this, as has been noted, wearing a Turban is a matter of pride for Sikhs and is about overt religious identity to show others they are Sikhs it is not merely about covering ones head. Sikhs want to stand out from the crowd and their Turban is a part of this. For a Sikh to compromise on their beliefs like this is not going to happen. As members have said what is needed is awareness and training of these Western security guards who see a Sikh and think "arab" or "Muslim".

@Abingdonboy Do sikhs distinguish between full turban and the one bhajji or monty panesar wear?

@Abingdonboy Do sikhs distinguish between full turban and the one bhajji or monty panesar wear?

Yes there is a difference- the kind bhajji or Monty Panesar wear are for practical reasons ie playing sports or serving in the military. The "full" turban is for everyday use.

If Italy didn't correct their mistake then we would deported Sonia to her Mayaka along with Rahul baby :chilli:

Most Sikhs living in the UK are compliant when Police ask them to remove turbans as it is done in private out of public view. I don't see the problem as it is a security check for security reasons.

Sikhs have always considered that they will never bow to anyone and thus will never remove their turban when asked to by anyone. However this is all about context and the case is that Turban is linked to Sikh identity in the sense it is very much an overt display of their religion and, in the past one hasn't been kindly ask to remove a turban for security checks but for forced conversion. So Sikhs have made a point about not removing their turbans for any man or women.

HOWEVER context is key and there is no way 99% of Sikhs have any issue with removing their turban on security grounds momentarily if they are allowed to do so in a private room/location.

I don't see this as a Sikh issue but rather just another example of the out of control VIP culture in India wherein VIPs think they are above all these sort of things. We have seen the outcry in the past in India over similar frisking/security checks performed on Indian "VIPs" specifically in the US with the likes of former president Kalam, SRK and India's ambassador to the UN (also a Sikh). For some reason Indian society is not at the point where it sees these security checks as absolutely necessary for everyone where no man women or child is above the protocals.

Burkha women are not asked to remove Burkha privately, they have to do it in front of everyone.

Back
Top Bottom