What's new

Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?

Are we ready for this? Will you support the Bangladesh people for this CHANGE?

• Total voters
This section of PDF needs to be renamed as the fun defense forum.
BD members are very funny and they seem to be always on drugs. I like BD members and they are my favorites.
The whole thread is a big joke.

''You want new rug broa?''

The predictability of stupidity..never fails to amaze me.Did I say I'm the one who has got a problem with inventions and discoveries made by people belonging to other religion?
Now that you quote the mathematician, care to tell me about his take on Indian numerals ?.....You and the likes of you are blind to what he could see and perceive hundreds of years ago.Best of luck with that parallel universe of yours.

Why are you having a hissy fit? It is a light hearted joke.

I actually proposed that we introduce both English and Nastaliq scripts/alphabets for Bangla language. Having English as a script have many benefits, as it makes understanding English easier and writing and typing in computer becomes more easy. English is going to be the predominant global language and some would say that English already is the global language and no other language would be able to replace it in the foreseeable future.

Once both English and Nastaliq scripts are introduced, after proper research and cost-benefit analysis done in Bangla language department of major universities in Bangladesh, then they will have their own momentum and only time will tell whether Nastaliq and English scripts/alphabets replace the existing Bangla script derived from Brahmi. The fading of existing script will have the additional benefit of cultural and linguistic discontinuity with West Bengal, as this common script was used by India as a tool of subversion to break Pakistan and make Bangladesh a vassal state of India. It is time for us to provide alternatives to people so they can choose whether they want to remain closer to West Bengal and its people and their Kolkata based culture or rather become closer to the global culture (English script and language) and global Muslim culture (Nastaliq script).

That's the most important benefit of this wonderful proposal of OP, but I am disappointed with the shaky half-hearted attempt of Bangladeshi nationalists, you guys still want to stick to Bengali only, changing script means nothing, if I start writing Bengali using English script, it still remains Bengali. You cannot break the cultural & linguistic ties with West Bengal just by changing the script for god's sake. Look at Pakistan, their Urdu is very similar to Hindi with a different script, result is that they are still tied to India culturally & linguistically through Bollywood films, music, TV serials, etc. and many of the common Pakistanis are unknowingly surrendering to the evil Indian design of cultural invasion of Pakistan. You really need to get rid of Bengali language itself along with its full baggage of literature & history, trust me, cultural & linguistic discontinuity with West Bengal will only be possible when people of WB & BD will stop understanding each other's languages. :)

Hope other notable Bangladeshi nationalists are listening. @khair_ctg @the just @aazidane @Skies @asad71 @MBI Munshi @The Snow Queen @Saiful Islam

Should the people of Bangladesh really do away with Devanagari script of Bangla and go for Arabic/Persian script? To Islamise our Language and bring back our real roots of East Bengal? The way our forefathers used to write and maybe talk?

I have an idea that our first initiative should be to make a Petition. And perhaps, it is a small step to a big change! We want your opinions of all the people here, and then decide if we will make this Petition.

By the way, I myself cannot make this petition because I am scared to go for this all by myself and I don't know much about the History as some of you here knows... We need someone who is wise, intelligent and knowledgeable to make this Petition for us and can add it to the description of the Petition, which will be able to convince most people to sign.

@kalu_miah @MBI Munshi @aazidane @khair_ctg @Saiful Islam @Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury @kobiraaz

I probably have noticed some you guys here being huge supporters of this movement. Should we first start with a Petition?
Please change it..Pakistan urdu is 90% sanskritised hindu langunage.. and they speak in bollywood hindi :-).. So Pakistani can interact with hindu mushriks very easily.But Because of your lungi waala bangali language.. you feel separated and hence you are inferior to indians and pakistanis..:(
Also you should change your script to the one which is used by turkey.. By this way at least you can claim khilafat.. And I prefer you should talk in farsi like all your master used to talk.. You are a slave na.. so you should learn farsi to become equal to we indians and pakistanis..
FARSI FOR BANGLADESH.. oh sorry for BANGALISTAN.. oops no bangali.. sorry.. FARSISTAN.. that will be cool:yahoo::yahoo:

That's the most important benefit of this wonderful proposal of OP, but I am disappointed with the shaky half-hearted attempt of Bangladeshi nationalists, you guys still want to stick to Bengali only, changing script means nothing, if I start writing Bengali using English script, it still remains Bengali. You cannot break the cultural & linguistic ties with West Bengal just by changing the script for god's sake. Look at Pakistan, their Urdu is very similar to Hindi with a different script, result is that they are still tied to India culturally & linguistically through Bollywood films, music, TV serials, etc. and many of the common Pakistanis are unknowingly surrendering to the evil Indian design of cultural invasion of Pakistan. You really need to get rid of Bengali language itself along with its full baggage of literature & history, trust me, cultural & linguistic discontinuity with West Bengal will only be possible when people of WB & BD will stop understanding each other's languages. :)

Hope other notable Bangladeshi nationalists are listening. @khair_ctg @the just @aazidane @Skies @asad71 @MBI Munshi @The Snow Queen @Saiful Islam

Easy does it, step by step, one step at a time. No rush. Remember Historical Continuity is one of my core theories. We will reintroduce Nastaliq script and reintroduce Persian, Arabic and Turkic loan words, but the skeleton of the language will remain the original Bangla derived from Prakrit, even if we cut out and drop the Kolkata imposed Sanskrit words, just like Urdu retains Khariboli at its foundation.

Changing scripts and loan words will make it sufficiently different, just like there is difference between Hindi and Urdu.

I have another interesting suggestion for you guys in West Bengal and Assam, you should also drop the Brahmi derived Bangla/Assamese script and replace it with Devnagari, which is very similar to it anyways. That way Hindi and Indian Bangla will be both written with Devnagari script and it will help further integration between West Bengal and Assam with North India, where Devnagari is in use.

Once we have different scripts and loan words, that will create sufficient barriers between two cultures, as written material, news and web media, literature, text books everything will become different and mutually unintelligible to each other. Only spoken words may be similar like Hindi and Urdu, but that is ok.

To maintain Historical Continuity we must retain our original base language, regardless of the fact that it will be same as or similar to West Bengal. Please note that for most of 1204 to 1757, the court language in Bangalah as well as Delhi was Persian, using Nastaliq script. So while we will retain the spoken base language, we will also retain what we had for 500 years, Nastaliq script and Arabic-Persian-Turkic loan words, for the sake of enhancing Historical Continuity. For us it will be uprooting and throwing away the colonial imposition of British rule and resulting influence from Kolkata Bengal Renaissance and thus going back to our root, the original period of ethno-genesis of Muslim Bengali people during 1204-1757.

The origin of the name Bengal and Bangalah:
Bangalah | BanglaPedia : National Pedia of Bangladesh

Nastaliq Persian inscription in mosque built in 1692:
Banglapedia

"Walipur Alamgiri Mosque situated in Walipur village under Hajiganj upazila of Chandpur district. There are two mosques in the same locality - one known as Shahi or Alamgiri Mosque and the other as shah shuja mosque. The Alamgiri mosque has suffered much due to subsequent restoration works. Nevertheless, enough still survives to give an idea of its original plan and design. A Persian inscription in fine nastaliq character, fixed over the central doorway, records the construction of the mosque by one Abdullah in 1692 AD in the reign of Alamgir aurangzeb."

Last edited:
Easy does it, step by step, one step at a time. No rush. Remember Historical Continuity is one of my core theories. We will reintroduce Nastaliq script and reintroduce Persian, Arabic and Turkic loan words, but the skeleton of the language will remain the original Bangla derived from Prakrit, even if we cut out and drop the Kolkata imposed Sanskrit words, just like Urdu retains Khariboli at its foundation.

Changing scripts and loan words will make it sufficiently different, just like there is difference between Hindi and Urdu.

I have another interesting suggestion for you guys in West Bengal and Assam, you should also drop the Brahmi derived Bangla/Assamese script and replace it with Devnagari, which is very similar to it anyways. That way Hindi and Indian Bangla will be both written with Devnagari script and it will help further integration between West Bengal and Assam with North India, where Devnagari is in use.

Once we have different scripts and loan words, that will create sufficient barriers between two cultures, as written material, news and web media, literature, text books everything will become different and mutually unintelligible to each other. Only spoken words may be similar like Hindi and Urdu, but that is ok.

To maintain Historical Continuity we must retain our original base language, regardless of the fact that it will be same as or similar to West Bengal. Please note that for most of 1204 to 1757, the court language in Bangalah as well as Delhi was Persian, using Nastaliq script. So while we will retain the spoken base language, we will also retain what we had for 500 years, Nastaliq script and Arabic-Persian-Turkic loan words, for the sake of enhancing Historical Continuity. For us it will be uprooting and throwing away the colonial imposition of British rule and resulting influence from Kolkata Bengal Renaissance and thus going back to our root, the original period of ethno-genesis of Muslim Bengali people during 1204-1757.

The origin of the name Bengal and Bangalah:
Bangalah | BanglaPedia : National Pedia of Bangladesh

Nastaliq Persian inscription in mosque built in 1692:
Banglapedia

"Walipur Alamgiri Mosque situated in Walipur village under Hajiganj upazila of Chandpur district. There are two mosques in the same locality - one known as Shahi or Alamgiri Mosque and the other as shah shuja mosque. The Alamgiri mosque has suffered much due to subsequent restoration works. Nevertheless, enough still survives to give an idea of its original plan and design. A Persian inscription in fine nastaliq character, fixed over the central doorway, records the construction of the mosque by one Abdullah in 1692 AD in the reign of Alamgir aurangzeb."

Hmmmm.....that is a good point, but Arabic as the mother tongue of new generation of Bangladeshis would integrate them far more deeply with the epicenter of the Islamic world, even if you introduce Arabic as the second language in schools, I am not sure how many Bangladeshis would actually benefit from it given the rate of literacy and level of education which is still very unsatisfactory in this part of the world. :(

And what is your opinion about my other suggestions in previous pages?

1. Changing the name of the country, capital, places, and rivers, etc. to more appropriate Islamic names.

2. Discarding & destroying Bengali literature of all the Hindu writers & poets with significant Hindu influence, and translating the Bengali literature of Muslim writers to Arabic script (preferably Arabic language) before destroying the original Bengali version.

3. Eliminating all pagan cultural influences like the Bengali music, dance, sculpture, etc. and festivals like Pohela Boishakh and Bhasha Dibos. Also banning all pagan festivals and puja, etc.

4. Eliminating the Hindu part of the history from the history of Bangladesh including the names and work of Hindu historical personalities, something similar to what Pakistan did with their history.

5. What you are planning to do with the rest of the Hindus and other minorities in Bangladesh, especially if they don't fall in line with the plan?

Finally, I again reiterate that a half-hearted attempt at the cleansing won't kill the pest, you have to do a complete & comprehensive cleansing of the Bengaliness along with all its attributes to ensure that it doesn't grow back. Any show of softness will kill the purpose.

What other Bengali nationalists say on this? @khair_ctg @the just @aazidane @Skies @asad71 @MBI Munshi @The Snow Queen @Saiful Islam

@
DRAY

1.Languages evolve. Nothing can be forced in the process.

2. Ayub Khan,no doubt influenced by the use of Roman Urdu in the army, had mulled adopting the Roman script for Bangla as well as Urdu. The idea never took shape of course.Fazlur Rahman,late father of the BEXIMCO brothers, used to champion adopting either Urdu or Roman script for Bangla.

3. We Bengalee Muslims are in the process of building a nation.Obviously we will need to resolve any conflict in this process that may appear from the Bengalee nationalist camp. To that end we will move away gradually from the Calcutta/Renaissance camp in thought, philosophy and language.

4. Our national flag, national anthem,shapla emblem, etc will perhaps come under review in due course. Adopting the Roman script will never gain any support here. However, adopting the Arabic script will have supporters.

Hmmmm.....that is a good point, but Arabic as the mother tongue of new generation of Bangladeshis would integrate them far more deeply with the epicenter of the Islamic world, even if you introduce Arabic as the second language in schools, I am not sure how many Bangladeshis would actually benefit from it given the rate of literacy and level of education which is still very unsatisfactory in this part of the world. :(

And what is your opinion about my other suggestions in previous pages?

1. Changing the name of the country, capital, places, and rivers, etc. to more appropriate Islamic names.

2. Discarding & destroying Bengali literature of all the Hindu writers & poets with significant Hindu influence, and translating the Bengali literature of Muslim writers to Arabic script (preferably Arabic language) before destroying the original Bengali version.

3. Eliminating all pagan cultural influences like the Bengali music, dance, sculpture, etc. and festivals like Pohela Boishakh and Bhasha Dibos. Also banning all pagan festivals and puja, etc.

4. Eliminating the Hindu part of the history from the history of Bangladesh including the names and work of Hindu historical personalities, something similar to what Pakistan did with their history.

5. What you are planning to do with the rest of the Hindus and other minorities in Bangladesh, especially if they don't fall in line with the plan?

Finally, I again reiterate that a half-hearted attempt at the cleansing won't kill the pest, you have to do a complete & comprehensive cleansing of the Bengaliness along with all its attributes to ensure that it doesn't grow back. Any show of softness will kill the purpose.

What other Bengali nationalists say on this? @khair_ctg @the just @aazidane @Skies @asad71 @MBI Munshi @The Snow Queen @Saiful Islam

Bangalah name seems to come up after Muslim rule was established in 1204, before that it was Vanga and other names (please see link in previous post). We have no problem with pre-1200 influence and up to 1757, regardless of whether they were Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist or other. What happened between 1757-1947, under colonial rule will be under question and review. We have enough people and talent to create our own literature, it will need time and sponsorship.

About minorities in Bangladesh, nothing will be forced on them, just like none of these ideas will be forced on people of Bangladesh. University language departments will research them, there will be national debate and all decisions will be based on national consensus. But when the nation chooses a certain direction based on national consensus, then everyone naturally will have to follow those directions. It will be difficult to maintain separate script or version of language for minorities.

I hope Bangladesh successfully sheds its pagan baggage. Fingers crossed. :)
Actually throughout history people of the delta have been struggling against pagan holds of Brahmins.Ramkrishna Paramhansa and Maa Sarla Devi, Swami Vivekanando, Michael Madhushudon, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar, the Tagore family, Arobindo,etc have all revolted against paganist Brahmin hold over society. Now the final emancipation is round the corner.Soon To Be A Bengalee Will Be To Be A Muslim.

Back
Top Bottom