What's new

Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?

Are we ready for this? Will you support the Bangladesh people for this CHANGE?

• Total voters

The Snow Queen

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Should the people of Bangladesh really do away with Devanagari script of Bangla and go for Arabic/Persian script? To Islamise our Language and bring back our real roots of East Bengal? The way our forefathers used to write and maybe talk?

I have an idea that our first initiative should be to make a Petition. And perhaps, it is a small step to a big change! We want your opinions of all the people here, and then decide if we will make this Petition.

By the way, I myself cannot make this petition because I am scared to go for this all by myself and I don't know much about the History as some of you here knows... We need someone who is wise, intelligent and knowledgeable to make this Petition for us and can add it to the description of the Petition, which will be able to convince most people to sign.

I think Change.org and GoPetition are a good places to start.

Change.org - The world's platform for change

Petition Templates, Samples & Examples | GoPetition

@kalu_miah @MBI Munshi @aazidane @khair_ctg @Saiful Islam @Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury @kobiraaz

I probably have noticed some you guys here being huge supporters of this movement. Should we first start with a Petition?

Last edited:
how would changing the script would make a difference to average person's life? If there are some benefits of doing it then go ahead an change it.

Should the people of Bangladesh really do away with Devanagiri script of Bangla and go for Arabic/Persian script? To Islamise our Language and bring back our real roots of East Bengal? The way our original forefathers used to write and maybe talk?

I have an idea that our first initiative should be to make a Petition. And perhaps, it is a small step to a big change! We want your opinions of all the people here, and then decide if we will make this Petition.

By the way, I myself cannot make this petition because I am scared to go for this all by myself and I don't know much about the History as some of you here knows... We need someone who is wise, intelligent and knowledgeable to make this Petition for us and can add it to the description of the Petition, which will be able to convince most people to sign.

@kalu_miah @MBI Munshi @aazidane @khair_ctg @Saiful Islam @Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury @kobiraaz

I probably have noticed some you guys here being huge supporters of this movement. Should we first start with a Petition?

People of Bangladesh gave their life to preserve their language, the world language day is celebrated to respect the same and here is this person who by their own admission do not know about the history requesting to change the script of the language, which BTW is not even Devanagiri.
Bengali is written in Bengali Script and evolved from the same script that Devanagiri evolved from.

A better idea would be for you to just migrate to a country where people use those scripts....and if you don't have the money we have plenty of camps in Dhaka where people who use those scripts live....make yourself comfortable and go live there and pray to a god of your preference so that magical fairies from heaven come down to change my script.....do not waste cyberspace with your horse shit....you give my people a bad name!

Bengali has Devanagari script? :lol:
Madrasah education.....I'm quite surprised they actually know the name of a script other than farsi and arabic!

Well then why only change script? Start speaking Arabic/Persian too.
PS: No offense to other members.

People of Bangladesh gave their life to preserve their language, the world language day is celebrated to respect the same and here is this person who by their own admission do not know about the history requesting to change the script of the language, which BTW is not even Devanagiri.
Bengali is written in Bengali Script and evolved from the same script that Devanagiri evolved from.

A better idea would be for you to just migrate to a country where people use those scripts....and if you don't have the money we have plenty of camps in Dhaka where people who use those scripts live....make yourself comfortable and go live there and pray to a god of your preference so that magical fairies from heaven come down to change my script.....do not waste cyberspace with your horse shit....you give my people a bad name!

We are talking about changing the script not the language. Bangla used to be written in Persian because that's how it was written and used to be back in the day until 19th century, the British Sanskritised the script with the help of Hindu Brahmins so they could target the Muslims.

We should adopt the past script again in order to Islamize the language and help our people to read and write Quran better.

U can't simply change a script like that. I don't think we need to go for changing script though i appreciate your intention behind it. What's more important and effective than changing script IMHO is introducing arabic as a compulsory 2nd language like english. Our people can read the Quran but can't understand it without tafsir. Imagine if the whole pop. can speak arabic like bengali. It will naturally bring the society closer to islam and the bengali language will also get enriched further. In a few generations Bangladeshi bengali will be uniquely bangladeshi. SO introducing compulsory arabic is the way to go for any muslim society that wants to better it self as per the divine guidance of Allah (swt).

Last edited:
We are talking about changing the script not the language. Bangla used to be written in Persian because that's how it was written and used to be back in the day until 19th century, the British Sanskritised the script with the help of Hindu Brahmins so they could target the Muslims.

We should adopt the past script again in order to Islamize the language and help our people to read and write Quran better.

Lady, with all due respect, do not say this in front of any old person in your country otherwise you may end up getting bitch-slapped (which would be really funny for me).
Ancient Bengali scripts, coins and pieces or arts exist and you can just go to google and view them. Do not say stupid things like Bangla was written in Persian.

Erm....no.....Bangla script(Bangla Lipi) was specifically developed(spontaneous development through ages of usage by local people) to write Bangla.....You cannot Sanskritize a script...since Sanskrit itself never had a script.....it died well before people here learnt to write....Area 51 hosting aliens is more plausible than the British conspiracy theory!Could you please show me a sample historical text of BANGLA written in Persian(Arabic....persians do not use their own script either...ironic) script??NOPE...you know why??Because when people here in Bengal were using persian script during the Mughal era...they were actually writing Persian(the language of the court of the empire)....not Bangla!

Oh c'mon, the Arabic script is the most beautiful there is! Even Indians can't deny that :rolleyes:

Hey, I actually I like the Hebrew script as well for some reason, especially the one found in their Torah scrolls.

So what calligraphic style will it be? Naskh or Nastaliq?

Should the people of Bangladesh really do away with Devanagari script of Bangla and go for Arabic/Persian script? To Islamise our Language and bring back our real roots of East Bengal? The way our forefathers used to write and maybe talk?

Changing the script isn't something you can do so quick. Let's not focus on our language but the problems that exist in our country. We are still the most corrupt country in the region, the political situation is still very delicate and 2013 wasn't a good year for us, so many deaths went undocumented, this tells us serious change needs to happen and if we want the country to prosper we need leaders who will do good for the country and their intention is that for the country and only the country!

Madaris in Bangladesh are producing top Mawlana and Hafiz who are going the Gulf. We are known for being Hafiz in the Gulf. A Bangladesh last year won the global Qur'an recitation last year, infact many BD's have came second or was present in that competition.

Back
Top Bottom