What's new

Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?

Are we ready for this? Will you support the Bangladesh people for this CHANGE?

• Total voters
Dim-wittery unbounded.

1. Nagari itself is a derivative of Brahmi. Getting away from Bengali script to the Devnagari derived Hindi script is as complete a piece of nonsense as can be imagined.
  2. There are half-baked conclusions being drawn from the records available of the Bengali language.
    1. The Bengali script existed before the Bengali language. It was used as a common script all over eastern India and was not peculiar to Bengali. Far from it.
    2. Some fairly stupid commentators have jumped to the conclusion that the use of a similar script in Assamese, and in other eastern languages, indicates that those languages were derived from Bengali. Not so. They were all, including Bengali, derived from a common source, Magadhi Prakrit.
    3. Bengali emerged first, in the eleventh to thirteenth centuries, and the early phases overlapped with the collapse of the Sena kingdom and the introduction of first, a province of the Delhi Sultanate, next, an independent Sultanate, whose princes had the khutba read in their name.
    4. Early Bengali acquired loan words very early, by the 14th century, but for nearly four centuries, during the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th centuries, it developed within itself, in association with other cognate languages also at that time slowly going away from Magadhi Prakrit.
    5. From the 14th to the 18th centuries, till the British burst onto the scene, there was an increasing use of Persian at court. This was Persian, not Persianised Bengali.
    6. There was an increased use of Persian words by all classes of society, not just the courtier and administrative classes.
    7. There were sporadic instances of the use of right-to-left script during this period, but nothing on the scale of a mass movement.
    8. The British put their own twist on things; they surveyed and 'rationalised' the language. That they 'sanskritised' the language is not impossible, but is highly improbable.
    9. It seems rather more accurate to ascribe the 'sanskritisation' of the language, if it occurred, to the period immediately following the British political advent, and to look to the generations of Bengali middle-class promoters of the Bengal Renaissance for its main promoters.

Ironically, this is called sanskritisation, whereas it was already a hybridised language that was used as a base for the elimination of loan words. It is moot whether the process should be called sanskritisation or de-Persianisation.
    10. The reaction to this was the movement known as Musulmani Bangla. This was short-lived, in the 19th century, and commencement of the 20th century, and it seems that most of the Bengali population, irrespective of religion or location, used a hybridised spoken language and a sanskritised written language. Over time, the differences between spoken and written language disappeared; they converged and the written form became a modified version of the spoken.
    11. It was at this stage of development that partition took place. The language riots firmly underlined the commitment of the educated classes to the Bengali language proper, indirectly, to the script as well.

IT WAS THIS TABULA RASA THAT IS THE STARTING POINT FOR THE PRESENT THREAD.

I think this post alone answers all the misconceptions floating around.

They look like Bengalis dear, and Bangladeshis look like Bangladeshis. :)

@DRAY , I think you should leave it to them to figure out for themselves.

If they are so refined and sensitive that they are aware that they are Bangladeshi, not Bengali, they don't need help in figuring out how Bangladeshis look, and how Bengalis look. They already know.

Exactly that's the point I am highlighting, the Bengali identity must go with all its baggage to establish the Bangladeshi identity.
Not really.Arabs,Nigerians,Bosnians,Turks, Indonesians - all retain their indigenous identity while belonging to the Ummah. We will continue to be Bengalees but Bengalee Muslims. There is no conflict between the two as far as-Muslims are concerned.

@DRAY , I think you should leave it to them to figure out for themselves.

If they are so refined and sensitive that they are aware that they are Bangladeshi, not Bengali, they don't need help in figuring out how Bangladeshis look, and how Bengalis look. They already know.

@ Definitely, we are Bangladeshi first and then Bengali. We always wants a separate identity between the Bengalise of West Bengal and Bengalise of East Bengal.

@ Finally, what I was trying to argue that majority of our people are muslim migrated from Northern India and other areas of Central and Middle East.

@ As I have said ealier also that blood matters a lot on human behaviour. I have keenly observed the attitude and behaviour of our Bengali muslim people of different areas and districts. There are lot of differences in food habits also. There are differences in languages.
Sylheti - "Amar bones shadi hoia giache".
Chittagong - "Chale khushbo nai".
Noakhali - " I no jhai tum".
Dhakai Kutti - " Ek dom khotum khoira demu".

Last edited:
Not really.Arabs,Nigerians,Bosnians,Turks, Indonesians - all retain their indigenous identity while belonging to the Ummah. We will continue to be Bengalees but Bengalee Muslims. There is no conflict between the two as far as-Muslims are concerned.

You are an old man, so you might still have some weakness towards the Bengali identity, as I can see you have voted against the motion, but new generation of Bangladeshis want to discard Bengali identity as it is deeply linked to and shared by pagans, and the young ones are the future of Bangalah, so you may be among the last of Bengalis there. :-)

@DRAY You seem like, you are affected by Bangladeshis calling themselves "Bangladeshi" first, not "Bengali". I can already tell that you are emotional about it, by the way you are acting. Why so? What's the matter with you? Is there anything by which you are offended?

@DRAY You seem like, you are affected by Bangladeshis calling themselves "Bangladeshi" first, not "Bengali". I can already tell that you are emotional about it, by the way you are acting. Why so? What's the matter with you? Is there anything by which you are offended?

Nope!! But why are you using a different colour font, it's difficult to read. Btw, if Indians oppose you, you have a problem, and when they support you, you have a problem!!!!! But I completely support you on this topic. :-)

Ok - enough of the talk. Please post the names of the following in Islamic land -

1. Bangladesh = ?
2. Dhaka = ?
3. Chittagong = ?
4. Gopalganj = ?
5. Rangpur = ?

Ok - enough of the talk. Please post the names of the following in Islamic land -

1. Bangladesh = ?
2. Dhaka = ?
3. Chittagong = ?
4. Gopalganj = ?
5. Rangpur = ?

6. Brahmanbaria
7.Lakshmipur
8.Kishoreganj
9.Manikganj
8.Munshiganj
9. Narayanganj
10. Mymensingh
11.Narsingdi

River like Meghna, Jamuna, Padma.

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

1. Bangladesh = ?
2. Dhaka = ?
3. Chittagong = ?
4. Gopalganj = ?
5. Rangpur = ?

1. Al-mamlakah al-Bongliyyah al awamiyah
2. Riyal
3. Kalagong
4. Gopalbaal
5. Berang

Beware: you might need to be Punjabi to understand half of these ..

1. Bangladesh = ?
2. Dhaka = ?
3. Chittagong = ?
4. Gopalganj = ?
5. Rangpur = ?
6. Brahmanbaria
7.Lakshmipur
8.Kishoreganj
9.Manikganj
8.Munshiganj
9. Narayanganj
10. Mymensingh
11.Narsingdi

1. Al-mamlakah al-Bongliyyah al awamiyah
2. Riyal
3. Kalagong
4. Gopalbaal
5. Berang

Beware: you might need to be Punjabi to understand half of these ..

After going strongly for the motion for 22 pages, suddenly I feel our neighbours are becoming confused and shaky, kind of getting a cold feet, we have to push them to make the leap of faith. :angel:

6. Brahmanbaria
7.Lakshmipur
8.Kishoreganj
9.Manikganj
8.Munshiganj
9. Narayanganj
10. Mymensingh
11.Narsingdi

@ For Mymensingh, it was changed to "Momenshahi" during Pakistan period. Still the Cantt in Mymensingh is called Momenshahi. The Cadet College is called Momenshahi instead of Mymensingh.

@ I am sure, "Ganj" and "Pur" is either a Persi or Urdu word.

@ Many names were changed during Pakistan's times like, Rajendrapur was changed to Gazipur.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom