What's new

Should I get a PC or a PlayStation?

If only I, too, was rich mama's little baby...

Surely, you mean Sega Mega Drive II?
If you see my join date you will realise im old enough to be your daddy but ur mum ain't pretty enough for me

now go act like ur getting a 4k gaming pc with $300 son.

If you see my join date you will realise im old enough to be your daddy

So, you judge people's ages based on their join date?

Good for you, cupcake!

but ur mum ain't pretty enough for me

Yeah, lucky for her...

now go act like ur getting a 4k gaming pc with $300 son.

No, you go act like I'm acting like I'm getting a 4K gaming PC for 300 bucks, heh!

Literally the very first line of this thread:

budget-oriented gaming 'machine'

Now, bugger-off, Aussie cunt!

then increase your budget bro. but remember only go for pc, nothing else.

How about this? Everything's brand new. From what I'm seeing, the 6600XT is on par with PS5's GPU:

cf68f1c6-b09f-43e8-a46f-5bf64fa053df-e1683972211868.jpeg

I contacted them and they said they can add an RTX3070 - albeit used - for around 15k extra. Not sure if it's worth it, though.

With my luck, it'll probably be mined so... I'll be sticking with the brand new 6600XT.

So, I'm an old geezer in his 30s looking for a budget-oriented gaming 'machine' in around ~100-125k price range. I think it's the perfect time to play some games I've been meaning to play for the past decade or so! Plus, I'm also about to get married and I'm pretty sure I soon won't have the luxury of playing video games.

Now, here's the thing: I've never owned a console in my life!

I don't know how to play with a controller! However, I do appreciate the simplicity and ease of use of a console. I like the idea of just sitting back, relax, and then just click on a game and start playing right away. No fuss, no frustration, no drama.

Meanwhile, I've had several PCs which I built personally as I was a hardware buff in my teens.

My last "gaming PC" was an old Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTS250 1GB. Believe it or not, that thing was actually head and shoulders above the likes of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I played a number of games such as Fallout 3, New Vegas, Mass Effect Trilogy at a rock-solid 768p 60FPS whereas both PS3 and X360 ran them at like 30FPS locked. What else? It even managed to run GTA-V at a pretty solid ~45ish FPS.

With a PC, I'll most "definitely" be pirating games from the likes of FitGirl, R.G Mechanics, Dodi, you name it. I mean, why not, right?! However, I've no idea what kind of PC I should get. I'm thinking hexa-core with something like a 4GB GPU or something? Can someone guide me here as I'm a bit out of touch with the PC market.

As for the console, I'm considering the Xbox Series S as with an Xbox, you've the option to play your Xbox games on the PC (in case I do end up building a PC in the distant future, assuming I keep breathing) + there's also the Xbox Game Pass which sounds pretty good.

I'm also considering a PlayStation 4 Pro, which I can find brand new for around ~125k but then I won't have much dough left to buy games and other crap.

Any ideas?
PC is the best option. can be upgraded and you will get tons of cracked and free games. with ps5 you will have to buy the games and it cant be upgraded.

PC is the best option. can be upgraded and you will get tons of cracked and free games. with ps5 you will have to buy the games and it cant be upgraded.
can be upgraded only if you're smart with building one with a way forward

shit gets outdated in a hurry with PCs too... remember DDR 4 ram ? :P

can be upgraded only if you're smart with building one with a way forward

shit gets outdated in a hurry with PCs too... remember DDR 4 ram ? :P
still better than no upgradation of ps5 at all

still better than no upgradation of ps5 at all
true, but one must be smart with their PC builds

if on a budget, get the basics right

get a good motherboard, and a good case.. even if you start with a lower range CPU/GPU (or a chip with an iGPU, no need for a proper gfx card then)

screen resolution bhi important hai.. 1080 as a baseline, 1440p is where the sweetspot is for more (price wise).. 4k and above gets very expensive, both the displays and the horsepower required to drive games at that resolution.

on a desktop, like if you're sitting/gaming a feet away, 1080 is just fine.. if you're gaming on a 40 inch and on the couch.. you want 1440p at least.. proper eye candy.

I generally use mine as both a workstation where I'm sitting right on the desk, but then like to kick back on the couch too for casual watching/gaming.

I understand what you mean. However, there's one problem:

Me!

I suffer from Asperger's (with ADHD symptoms) and that means I struggle at interpreting social cues and have to wear a mask to pass off as 'socially acceptable.' I look normal enough but once people get close to me, they realize I'm... different.

It's like how rats know when a member of their herd gets sick. They just somehow 'sense' it and then kick the member out to save the colony. Same deal with me, heh!

Even as a kid, I knew there was something wrong with me. I used to stand in the corner of the playground, looking at other kids playing , socializing, and I'd be like:

How do they do it? What exactly am I missing? What do I do wrong?

Little did I know that I was trying to solve an emotional problem logically, like a mathematical equation but I digress.

Sorry about the rant!

Damn, I didn't know Game Pass was available on PC.

That's good to know, thanks!

Isn't it more of a lower mid-range card, like the 1650 Super? I've been doing a lot of research lately and from what I'm seeing, you need at least a 5600XT or RTX2060 for 1080p gaming.

BYTF43xJweLHiaudpESDpE.png

I made a post earlier but it somehow got deleted during the PDF blackout. I wanted more opinions on the PC parts but it doesn't matter now 'cause the trigger has been pulled. Here's the PC I got:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600.
GPU: Radeon 6700XT 12GB.
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200.
MOB: Asus Strix B450F.
PSU: Corsair TX750M 750W.
SSD: Kingston 512 M.2 NVMe.
HDD: Western Digital 2TB 7,200 RPM.
Price: 230k PKR (~$850).

[Everything's used, aside from SSD and RAM]

Meanwhile, a used PS5 ("Disk Edition") would've cost me ~150k (~$550) though that thing has a very weak GPU, more or less on par with a 6600XT. This PC is more comparable to Xbox Series X, or at least its GPU is!

Anyhow, I think I got a "fair" deal. I could've gotten everything at around 200-210k, if I wanted, but I didn't have the time to do all the leg work. Plus, I got it from a highly reputable shop in Lahore (Games and Geeks) and they've given me a warranty and everything so, at the end of the day, I think it's worth it.

What are your thoughts?

I made a post earlier but it somehow got deleted during the PDF blackout. I wanted more opinions on the PC parts but it doesn't matter now 'cause the trigger has been pulled. Here's the PC I got:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600.
GPU: Radeon 6700XT 12GB.
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200.
MOB: Asus Strix B450F.
PSU: Corsair TX750M 750W.
SSD: Kingston 512 M.2 NVMe.
HDD: Western Digital 2TB 7,200 RPM.
Price: 230k PKR (~$850).

[Everything's used, aside from SSD and RAM]

Meanwhile, a used PS5 ("Disk Edition") would've cost me ~150k (~$550) though that thing has a very weak GPU, more or less on par with a 6600XT. This PC is more comparable to Xbox Series X, or at least its GPU is!

Anyhow, I think I got a "fair" deal. I could've gotten everything at around 200-210k, if I wanted, but I didn't have the time to do all the leg work. Plus, I got it from a highly reputable shop in Lahore (Games and Geeks) and they've given me a warranty and everything so, at the end of the day, I think it's worth it.

What are your thoughts?
Honestly that ain't bad at all.

I would get a 6800 instead but 6700XT ain't bad.
And of course, get more SSD, I think 1TB is much comfortable, you can run out easily with 512GB.

I think you can play Elden Ring and such, no problems.

Honestly that ain't bad at all.

I would get a 6800 instead but 6700XT ain't bad.
And of course, get more SSD, I think 1TB is much comfortable, you can run out easily with 512GB.

I think you can play Elden Ring and such, no problems.

That's what I wanted to ask about, actually. Originally, I was considering the RTX3070 8GB. But then I saw just how much vRAM hungry modern games are and so I chose to go with the 6700XT instead. It's 12GB vRAM buffer is good enough for even 14440p (if not 4K) whereas I'm a 1080p gamer so, hopefully, it should last me at least a few years.

Plus, the RTX3070 was also quite a bit more expensive. I got that 6700XT for an equivalent of $260 whereas the RTX3070 was nearly 90k or ~$330. Sure, it's 10% less performant but is also 22% cheaper with 33% extra vRAM so it was a no brainer!

And, hopefully, the gap will be shrunk further with driver updates. If you remember, the HD7870 was getting spanked by GTX680 when it was released but nowadays, it can keep up with GTX780 a.k.a GTX Titan.

Fingers crossed!

That's what I wanted to ask about, actually. Originally, I was considering the RTX3070 8GB. But then I saw just how much vRAM hungry modern games are and so I chose to go with the 6700XT instead. It's 12GB vRAM buffer is good enough for even 14440p (if not 4K) whereas I'm a 1080p gamer so, hopefully, it should last me at least a few years.

Plus, the RTX3070 was also quite a bit more expensive. I got that 6700XT for an equivalent of $260 whereas the RTX3070 was nearly 90k or ~$330. Sure, it's 10% less performant but is also 22% cheaper with 33% extra vRAM so it was a no brainer!

And, hopefully, the gap will be shrunk further with driver updates. If you remember, the HD7870 was getting spanked by GTX680 when it was released but nowadays, it can keep up with GTX780 a.k.a GTX Titan.

Fingers crossed!
You are correct, even a damn 3060 12gb can outperform a 3080 10gb now due to VRAM.

Going for more VRAM is almost always future proofing , the only thing you miss out is Nvidia's DLSS.

The Neo Geo was and still is an incredible console

Back
Top Bottom