What's new

Share your childhood memories

The majority of our class were Hindu Punjabis whose families had migrated from Pakistan. They had strong resentment against Pakistan, inherited from their parents.
The Punjabis in my school whether Hindu or Sikh had always been rich and in businesses like construction or big shots in trading. It's funny isn't it, we never identify who are peers were, where they came from, etc when we were in school. It's only later, when we grow up that we start observing the other aspects of their identity. I would say I was fortunate to have studied with students from all the different parts of India since the school I went to was quite popular. It didn't restrict me to just my own community and this happened despite me never migrating anywhere. Now I think about it, my classmates were from North India, South India, my own state of course, some parts of East India like West Bengal. So a very diverse group.
Many of the rich kids got involved in their own fathers' business/started their own or did something unique which they liked while the middle class like us did the typical Science to Engineering/Medical to Job thing. Only 1 classmate of mine joined the Army.

It may sound strange, but our books and magazines of that time had no mention of Pakistan at all.
I come from a later generation but no mention in our books as well apart from the Partition and Jinnah being the leader of the Muslim League wanting a separate country, that's it. There was also no mention of Indian history or World History after 1947 as far as I remember. The World History ends after World War II. Of course, we had a State Board so no NCERT syllabus. NCERT differs quite a lot from State syllabus. Nowadays, I hear that people want to send their kids to NCERT schools.

Last edited:
My childhood memories are mixed. We struggled financially when I was in school. I didn't like to go to school because my dad enrolled me into a fancy school, sacrificing his own comforts.
Your father was a good man
I don't see myself ever doing such things for my kids

Or I guess when you're in that situation you find out
I was one of the poorest kids in the class. The teachers also favoured kids who looked posh and spoke well. The girls also hung around with similar set of guys. It was a group of 5 kids, all from poor families who got along well - Myself, a bengali, a tamil, a UP muslim and a sikh. We got along very well and are in touch even today after 35 years.
Where did you grow up in India? Cause that sounds like a very diverse place

It may sound strange, but our books and magazines of that time had no mention of Pakistan at all.
It wasn't a magazine or a book; it was a monthly digest. Only Imran Khan on this forum knows of its existence. They had a monthly novel about a spy named shabaz who used to kick a**
ironically writer was handicapped IRL 😭😂
No butt kicking of Pakistanis or Muslims. The few Muslims characters who existed were all shown in good light - Nasiruddin Hoja the comic and Anwar the cute innocent kid in Tinkle Comics. From time to time stories from the Arabian Nights were adapted and always shown in a good light. Amar Chitra Katha (the same guys who published Tinkle) mostly had stories from Hindu, Buddhist and Jain folkore, where the heros and villains were Hindus, Buddhist or Jains, because the stories were all from pre Islamic era. So there were no Muslim villains. Our popular culture did not treat Muslims as villains and Pakistan did not even exist remotely in any of this.

When I grew up a bit, I developed interest in Asterix and Tintin. The Tamil friend of mine gravitated towards Commando comics and was crazy about them. I couldn't relate to them at all. The Muslim friend became a bit bohemian and drifted away. The sikh guy's family migrated to UK and we lost touch for some time. The Bengali guy went into theatre and became a little snooty before coming back to his senses. The majority of our class were Hindu Punjabis whose families had migrated from Pakistan. They had strong resentment against Pakistan, inherited from their parents.
Feelings are mutual from our end 😗, it's not like they were saints
Instead of crying they should look inwards

58a779443ca64 (1) (1).jpg
my favorite childhood game - kanchas

My childhood:
Justice League, avatar for me

Last edited:
Your father was a good man
I don't see myself ever doing such things for my kids

Or I guess when you're in that situation you find out
What his father did was not a wise decision. He said they were poor. His father could have admitted him in an average school and saved the money for more essential purposes.

What his father did was not a wise decision. He said they were poor. His father could have admitted him in an average school and saved the money for more essential purposes.
Depends on the outlook, parents want to give their children the best education that is possible in order for them to excel in life. So it's nothing wrong from that point of view. It's not like the money is being spent on frivolous things.

Back
Top Bottom