What's new

Senators criticise ‘remarks over Gwadar protests’

Lt Gen Asif Ghafoor was on point. He was there overseeing relief work and some idiots want to discuss politics of the country and bash his service. If people can ask silly questions, the chap is entitled to be direct as well. Why this oversensitivity with this nonsense about "yeh hamaray naukar hain". They are doing naukri by carrying out relief work. Let them do it.

Secondly, this is yet another "bash Army" propaganda filled with double-standards.

For all those supporting these demonstrators and their right to protest @ Gwadar, how about another political party blocking all trade to and from the Karachi Port tomorrow? Everyone had heartburn on Karachi being shut down by political parties in that past, so how is this disruptive behavior at a major strategic control point of trade for Pakistan okay now? Gwader is all the more sensitive because Pakistan as a country needs to highlight it as a trade venture which is not disrupted on account of domestic politics.

Last edited:
Why it is important for army. Let the protest be there. Army must remain apolitical always. Be it poll rigging, theft of votes, civilians killing civilians etc.
Anyway, the land belongs to locals, and water, power etc are basic rights. No one should expel/displace locals from their places by overfishing so that they cannot even eat.

It is a conspiracy to dislodge locals by denying them basic rights.
Lt Gen Asif Ghafoor was on point. He was there overseeing relief work and some idiots want to discuss politics of the country and bash his service. If people can ask silly questions, the chap is entitled to be direct as well. Why this oversensitivity with this nonsense about "yeh hamaray naukar hain". They are doing naukri by carrying out relief work. Let them do it.

Secondly, this is yet another "bash Army" propaganda filled with double-standards.

For all those supporting these demonstrators and their right to protest @ Gwadar, how about another political party blocking all trade to and from the Karachi Port tomorrow? Everyone had heartburn on Karachi being shut down by political parties in that past, so how is this disruptive behavior at a major strategic control point of trade for Pakistan okay now? Gwader is all the more sensitive because Pakistan as a country needs to highlight it as a trade venture which is not disrupted on account of domestic politics.

Pointless thing in the world is for Pakistanis to protest or seek answers from establishment.
Why bother ? It’s not going to get you anywhere you live under the scope of the army gun . Go home and leave protesting to the professionals who can demand and achieve change .

Pakistanis no chance for yous your all under occupation .

Then we and the patient are doomed to live in this state.

It is a choice that was made for us decades ago. And our complacency in accepting that choice is what perpetuates it. Those who chose and those who accepted it are both responsible. And no one else, not USA, not the IMF, and not India or Israel. It is us.

Lt Gen Asif Ghafoor was on point.
Under what constitutional authority is he threatening peaceful protesters with arrest?

There will be no ‘strategic goals’ accomplished by persecuting and alienating Pakistani citizens, but obviously this duffer army of criminals and wannabe Gora Viceroys is incapable of learning from the other debacle of East Pakistan they were responsible for.

Or perhaps the ‘strategic goal’ is in fact to keep Balochistan in turmoil, that way revenue from smuggling and crime can keep flowing into their coffers.

Respectfully, let's not live in a fool's paradise please.

If we want to ignore the ground realities of politics in our country at the moment, then so be it. As I've said before, burying your head in the ground like an ostrich does not mean the world vanishes. Just that you choose to ignore it.

What's next? MQM came together by itself?

As I have said, just hear what non-PTI aligned people have to say, Mustafa Nawaz being a prime example among others.

Nowhere did I imply it was.

Rather, I would say that it started way before 2017.

Then we and the patient are doomed to live in this state.
Unfortunately, the ones living in a fool's paradise are those here who firmly believe that no favors were owed to the PTI enterprise by the much maligned establishment or that the same much maligned establishment should now step in to accelerate the polls or that political engineering should only be done in their favor (not that I agree with political engineering for anyone at anytime).

I have been consistent with my stance from the start. I never denied that establishment supported political parties at various points in time. I never said it is good for the country. However, I do take issue with the selective critique of the establishment by those whose party has benefited from establishment support. Its the irksome double-standards put on display here every day because while people have heartburn over MQM coming together, none of this same disgust was on display when a certain establishment official was orchestrating MQM's support for PTI just a few years ago.

So the optics are that if the establishment does the very same without PTI, it is bad, evil, anti-Pakistan and if it does it with/for PTI then we look the other way and consider the establishment to be pro-Pakistan.

Last edited:
Under what constitutional authority is he threatening peaceful protesters with arrest?

There will be no ‘strategic goals’ accomplished by persecuting and alienating Pakistani citizens, but obviously this duffer army of criminals and wannabe Gora Viceroys is incapable of learning from the other debacle of East Pakistan they were responsible for.

Or perhaps the ‘strategic goal’ is in fact to keep Balochistan in turmoil, that way revenue from smuggling and crime can keep flowing into their coffers.
You are always entitled to your opinion, but some balance may help. As an example, "peaceful protestors" choking the port of Karachi. I wonder how many would be okay with it.

Factually speaking, the security of Gwadar port and corridor is within the area of responsibility of the Pakistan Army, with security specifically assigned to Army's Southern Command (under Lt Gen Asif Ghafoor) as per the National Action Plan. SSD is a subservient formation under the Southern Command dedicated for this purpose.

This is why people hate the institution and people like you.
If a thief robs my belongings from me then comes back to return 1% of what he stole, I’m not going to sit quiet and be thankful.
I, someone from interior sindh and whose family and relatives lost their everything including homes in recent floods, I know who truly was helping and who wasn’t. Many areas that were cut off in the floods were only being helped by religious jamaats with relief work while you guys were busy doing your photo ops elsewhere. And don’t you dare tell me who was helping us with floods and who wasn’t. Your favourite institution’s involvement in politics, be in supporting pti to power or overthrowing pti from power, has caused the misery we face. You don’t even know how horrible the living conditions are in some places in interior sindh. When your favourite politicians and institution came for photo ops we put up VALID questions. We want answers because after all it’s their criminal negligence that caused us to be in such situation. You guys take our RESOURCES and taxes while your favourite institution and politicians play with the country and take turns to make us stupid. I put emphasis on the resources because I see how many people in Sanghar district in interior sindh have access to gas while we have the most gas in probably all of sindh with highway production. You civil servants (yes army is our servants) have the right to answer our questions because we employ you. Arrogance always leads to destruction so institutions shouldn’t get too arrogant.
Lastly, if you make peaceful opposition impossible then violent opposition becomes inevitable.
I’m giving the example of interior Sindh because it’s similar to what Balochistan is facing minus the insurgency.

This is why people hate the institution and people like you.
If a thief robs my belongings from me then comes back to return 1% of what he stole, I’m not going to sit quiet and be thankful.
I, someone from interior sindh and whose family and relatives lost their everything including homes in recent floods, I know who truly was helping and who wasn’t. Many areas that were cut off in the floods were only being helped by religious jamaats with relief work while you guys were busy doing your photo ops elsewhere. And don’t you dare tell me who was helping us with floods and who wasn’t. Your favourite institution’s involvement in politics, be in supporting pti to power or overthrowing pti from power, has caused the misery we face. You don’t even know how horrible the living conditions are in some places in interior sindh. When your favourite politicians and institution came for photo ops we put up VALID questions. We want answers because after all it’s their criminal negligence that caused us to be in such situation. You guys take our RESOURCES and taxes while your favourite institution and politicians play with the country and take turns to make us stupid. I put emphasis on the resources because I see how many people in Sanghar district in interior sindh have access to gas while we have the most gas in probably all of sindh with highway production. You civil servants (yes army is our servants) have the right to answer our questions because we employ you. Arrogance always leads to destruction so institutions shouldn’t get too arrogant.
Lastly, if you make peaceful opposition impossible then violent opposition becomes inevitable.
I’m giving the example of interior Sindh because it’s similar to what Balochistan is facing minus the insurgency.
I am sure you are right about how evil our army is.

Yes, and the politicians had no hand in it? Right!

Solution is simple. Convert Gwader into a strategic, high-security zone and disallow protests around it and call it a day. Demonstrations can be held at many other places but traffic, trade going in and out of the port cannot be hindered. No different than Sector G-5 in ISB i.e. diplomatic enclave.
What trade? The place is a white elephant.

unko boleen tweet kary log aysi tabiyat banay gay ke yaad rahy ga . they are not tweeting and posting because of lash back by public . please go and read last tweet comments .

ye vaady vaady admi 4 rotiyan kha leen
Bajwa jo group mussalat kar kay gaya hai dua karo ye time jaldi pass ho jai

Senators criticise ‘remarks over Gwadar protests’​

Imran Mukhtar

January 18, 2023

ISLAMABAD - A treasury lawmaker on Tuesday in the Senate objected to the unconfirmed remarks, doing the rounds on social media, of a top military commander in Balochistan about the recent protests led by Haq Do Tehreek in Gwadar, the port city of Balochistan. Speaking on a point of public concern, JUI-F Senator Kamran Murtaza said that protest was the right of everyone and the demands of people of Gwadar were neither unconstitutional nor illegal. Earlier this month, some unconfirmed social media reports had attributed a statement to Commander of XII Corps Lt Gen Asif Ghafoor that anyone who protested in Gwadar would be put behind the bars. Former president of Supreme Court Bar Association Senator Murtaza further said that he was appalled by the remarks of an officer, who heads the security issues in Balochistan, when he reportedly said that anyone who resorted to protest in the port city would be sent to jail. “Is Gwadar some occupied territory?” he questioned. The lawmaker said that the officer had no right to talk in such a manner and threaten the people to send them in jail. “We reject such behavior and threats,” he said without naming anyone. However, Balochistan Awami Party (BAP) Senator Danesh Kumar opposed the remarks of the treasury lawmaker and said that he was astonished that some unauthentic social media reports were being discussed in the house. He said that Jamaat-e-Islami Senator Mushtaq Ahmad, a day earlier, had also raised his concerns over such unverified statement. He questioned why the Pakistan Army was being dragged into such matters unnecessarily when the institution itself was saying that it wanted to remain apolitical. “We should talk in the house over some confirmed statements or incidents,” he said. Senator Ahmad on a point of personal explanation said that the corps commander should give an explanation about the remarks attributed to him. “If he clarifies, then I will withdraw my statement, “he said and warned that any member of the house should not become spokesperson of a military officer. He also said that the demands of the people of Gwadar were genuithene and Maulana Hidayatur Rehman, the leader of the Haq Do Tehreek, was the voice of the poor people of Balochistan. Senator Murtaza also got the floor on a point of personal explanation and said that the statement attributed to the military commander was widely reported and he should have contradicted it if the same was untrue. I would apologize if the commander contradicted it, he added. Earlier, Senator Naseebullah Bazai, opening the debate on the issue, said that Maulana Hidayatur Rehman was using the people of Gwadar for his vested interests.

The General is right ✅

The protests are ridiculous

We have a problem with backwardness in the country

Any investment, development is hindered by backwardness of local jahils

Instead of supporting development and demanding local investment, they create havoc

The wellbeing of 230 million people can't be risked because these idiots

Or maybe the ruling corrupt elite is overtaking their lands and most benefit goes to the corrupt mafia.

Back
Top Bottom