What's new

See how fans tested Amazon's cashier-less [computer vision] technology at Climate Pledge Arena

The last time I went back to China I had a hard time due to everything being cashless.

A society is judged not by how luxurious the rich and powerful live, but by how much dignity the lowest and poorest have.

Yes, the Chinese believe that the state is the tool of the ruling group to rule the ruled group. Whether a country is a democracy depends on who is the ruling group that controls the country. Is it the people or some plutocrats under the banner of democracy.

By examining whether a country prefers the bottom people or the rich. We can know who is the real democracy.

In China, theft and robbery are completely different crimes.

Larceny is a misdemeanor. The amount of theft is less than 78k US dollars, it is usually sentenced to 3 years' imprisonment. Less than $15k is usually detained for only 15 days. But because Chinese people usually don't carry cash, there are few pickpockets.

Robbery is a felony. Even if you rob only 1 cent, you will be sentenced to 7 years' imprisonment, up to the death penalty. Moreover, group robbery (3 or more people belong to a group), home robbery, multiple robberies (more than 3 times), robbery in public places, robbery of special substances (military substances, disaster relief materials, etc.), robbery of the elderly&children&pregnant women, etc will lead to increased punishment. In theory, even if you rob only 1 cent, you may be sentenced to death.

Therefore, there are few robbers in China. Criminals prefer to steal.

And to think some PDF members on here were laughing because shoplifting of under $950 in California was changed from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Where I am it has to be under $250 to not be a felony.

The last time I went back to China I had a hard time due to everything being cashless.

What are you paying for with cash in the US...parking meters?..even they use cards now.

Actually how are you even getting cash to begin with since pretty much everybody gets their pay directly deposited to their bank accounts. You'd actually have to walk into a bank or ATM to physically get cash.

The US ATM count is now 230,000 less than China's. They are dying out.

What are you paying for with cash in the US...parking meters?..even they use cards now.

Actually how are you even getting cash to begin with since pretty much everybody gets their pay directly deposited to their bank accounts. You'd actually have to walk into a bank or ATM to physically get cash.

The US ATM count is now 230,000 less than China's. They are dying out.

I use credit card in the US but in China you need Alipay or WeChat Pay for your phone. Credit card isn't broadly accepted the way phones are.

I use credit card in the US but in China you need Alipay or WeChat Pay for your phone. Credit card isn't broadly accepted the way phones are.

Oh because you are not a Chinese citizen you could not use your phone? Or just used to using cards more than phones.

And to think some PDF members on here were laughing because shoplifting of under $950 in California was changed from a felony to a misdemeanor.

What if the person keeps shoplifting under the threshold every time? These policies will just kill all Businesses. No wonder US is going down the toilet.

Walgreens to Close 5 Stores in San Francisco, Citing ‘Organized’ Shoplifting

Oh because you are not a Chinese citizen you could not use your phone? Or just used to using cards more than phones.

I do not have large RMB deposits since I don't live in China. You need actual RMB to use your phone. Last time I went back you needed to exchange USD to RMB at a bank that deals with foreign exchange to get RMB. Bank branches in my home city had 30 min to 1 hour wait time due to customer volume at the time, don't know now.

Now you can directly deposit USD into WeChat Pay and they convert for you but I haven't tried it yet.

A society is judged not by how luxurious the rich and powerful live, but by how much dignity the lowest and poorest have.
Hear, hear! :) The last time I went back to China, I went to Hangzhou where Alipay took off. Most places supported cashless payment but there was one taxi driver who insisted on cash payment. I admire his courage in staying old school. :)

What if the person keeps shoplifting under the threshold every time? These policies will just kill all Businesses. No wonder US is going down the toilet.

Walgreens to Close 5 Stores in San Francisco, Citing ‘Organized’ Shoplifting

You can go to jail for misdemeanors. This is Arizona but most states have similar laws.

Also there can be special laws

Can I Go to Jail for Shoplifting in Massachusetts?
The penalty for shoplifting varies according to whether you’ve been convicted of shoplifting before and what the value of the items were.

If the value is less than $250:
  • First Offense: Maximum Fine of $250.
  • Second Offense: Fine from $100 to $500.
  • Third or More Offense: Jail up to Two Years, Fine of up to $500
If the value is at least $250, you may be given up to two-and-a-half years in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000. If the value is over $250, though, you could be charged with larceny and possibly a felony.

Last edited:

In fact, in China, the sentencing for larceny is very low, and it is generally detention (up to 37 days, usually 3 to 15 days). Before the popularity of online payment, China's theft crime was very serious. There are many pickpockets in railway stations, shopping malls, buses and other places. After the popularity of online payment, pickpockets are difficult to find, because people don't carry cash, and mobile phones are worthless(it is difficult to sell). Now most Chinese people live in closed residential areas. Strangers are not allowed to enter and leave the residential areas at will, and security guards patrol for a long time. Therefore, burglary rarely occurs.

BTW: In China, the most important distinction between theft and robbery is whether the offender has any violence (including language threats). If a thief is found stealing, he attacks others and then runs away, then this is robbery, not theft.

In fact, in China, the sentencing for larceny is very low, and it is generally detention (up to 37 days, usually 3 to 15 days). Before the popularity of online payment, China's theft crime was very serious. There are many pickpockets in railway stations, shopping malls, buses and other places. After the popularity of online payment, pickpockets are difficult to find, because people don't carry cash, and mobile phones are worthless(it is difficult to sell). Now most Chinese people live in closed residential areas. Strangers are not allowed to enter and leave the residential areas at will, and security guards patrol for a long time. Therefore, burglary rarely occurs.

BTW: In China, the most important distinction between theft and robbery is whether the offender has any violence (including language threats). If a thief is found stealing, he attacks others and then runs away, then this is robbery, not theft.

I think it is generally accepted that robbery is where somebody is actually interacting with somebody else. For instance if somebody walks into a bank and demands money that is robbery but if they tunneled into the vault at 2am that is theft/burglary.

Robbery

Theft

Last edited:
I think it is generally accepted that robbery is where somebody is actually interacting with somebody else. For instance if somebody walks into a bank and demands money that is robbery but if they tunneled into the vault at 2am that is theft.

If they are found by security while digging a tunnel, then knocked out the security guard. Chinese judges will think it's robbery. If they steal smoothly and don't meet anyone, Chinese judges will think it is theft.

The laws of China and the USA are very different. For example, if you drink on the street with two friends (Chinese law allows you to drink on the street), you are drunk. Then you stop a child, take his schoolbag and throw it into the flower bed. In the USA, maybe it's not illegal. But in China, the police will rush out to hunt you down, because it's a felony. It is robbery, and it has two aggravating factors: Gang Crime (three people) and robbing children. You and your friends are likely to be sentenced to 7 years in prison for this matter.
Of course, this is a hypothesis. Most Chinese people will not call the police because of this small thing. They will forgive you because they usually know some legal knowledge and are not willing to punish you excessively.

In China, we must remember that robbery is a felony, and its sentencing starting point is very low. Robbing a piece of paper is also robbery.

If they are found by security while digging a tunnel, then knocked out the security guard. Chinese judges will think it's robbery. If they steal smoothly and don't meet anyone, Chinese judges will think it is theft.

That's the same here.

The laws of China and the USA are very different. For example, if you drink on the street with two friends (Chinese law allows you to drink on the street), you are drunk.

You are already in trouble in many states (not all) if you are displaying an open bottle/can in your hand in public (Nevermind if you actually drank any of it). Such that many bars won't let you walk out the door with one in your hand as they know their could be consequences so they'll make you drink it up and hand it back to them. If they have outdoor seating they have to have it roped off showing it is an area they are controlling.

And of course if you are in a car with an open container (even if it is in a passenger's hand) that could get you in a lot of trouble.
But more likely if people aren't drunk they will just tell everybody to spill their opened drinks in the street, put the unopened/emptied in the trunk, and say it never happened.

As for actually being intoxicated in the streets the penalty varies.

Then you stop a child, take his schoolbag and throw it into the flower bed. In the USA, maybe it's not illegal. It is robbery, and it has two aggravating factors: Gang Crime (three people) and robbing children.
Same here.

Plus I think if you are an adult you could also get an assaulting a child charge and that would not end well.
Assault

In China, we must remember that robbery is a felony, and its sentencing starting point is very low. Robbing a piece of paper is also robbery.

Same here. Not only that but in Massachusetts ANY type of robbery could potentially lead to a life sentence in jail.
In Massachusetts, Robbery is a life felony, meaning a person convicted of robbery could be sentenced up to life in prison, or to any term of years up to life.

Last edited:
You can go to jail for misdemeanors. This is Arizona but most states have similar laws.

Also there can be special laws

Can I Go to Jail for Shoplifting in Massachusetts?
The penalty for shoplifting varies according to whether you’ve been convicted of shoplifting before and what the value of the items were.

If the value is less than $250:
  • First Offense: Maximum Fine of $250.
  • Second Offense: Fine from $100 to $500.
  • Third or More Offense: Jail up to Two Years, Fine of up to $500
If the value is at least $250, you may be given up to two-and-a-half years in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000. If the value is over $250, though, you could be charged with larceny and possibly a felony.

But that's only possible if the prosecutors even decide to charge them. I doubt with the big volume of shoplifters, the prosecutors are going to charge then in enough numbers to be able to deter them. It's simply a pathetic law made by the democrat liberals I hear? I like liberal people and political parties but they go overboard sometimes and come up with some excessively shit policies.

But that's only possible if the prosecutors even decide to charge them. I doubt with the big volume of shoplifters, the prosecutors are going to charge then in enough numbers to be able to deter them. It's simply a pathetic law made by the democrat liberals I hear? I like liberal people and political parties but they go overboard sometimes and come up with some excessively shit policies.

Certainly they are taking down names. If they see a repeat offender they will likely pursue charging them...but for a one off..maybe not likely.

Back
Top Bottom