What's new

Secret warship base comes up on east coast

bloo

Reaction score
Country
India
Secret warship base comes up on east coast

SUJAN DUTTA

New Delhi, Dec. 4: The Indian Navy is set to partially commission a secretive new strategic base on its east coast next year that will be the home port for its warships that sail to South East Asia, the South China Sea and the Pacific.

The Visakhapatnam-headquartered Eastern Naval Command, the hub for the navy’s “Look East” policy, is adding warships and submarines to its fleet in numbers greater than berths available in which to dock them.

Yesterday, navy chief Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi had said his force was also practising to deploy in waters that China claims in the South China Sea to protect India’s oil interests off the coast of Vietnam. Reuters reported today that Vietnam, which allotted two blocks to India’s ONGC Videsh Limited, has stepped up patrolling its waters in the South China Sea.

Ramkonda or Rambilli, a quiet suburban settlement on Andhra’s craggy coastline about 50km south of the Eastern Naval Command headquartered in Visakhapatnam, is set to become the navy’s largest infrastructure base when it is finally completed.

Spread over 20sqkm, it is called “Project Varsha”. It is on the scale of “Project Seabird” at Karwar on the west coast (in north Karnataka). Like “Seabird” was designed to accommodate an aircraft carrier and de-congest Mumbai harbour, “Varsha” is said to have been conceived to unclog Vizag.

Work on the project began in 2005 to de-congest Vizag port, where the naval dockyards and the submarine base have run out of space. “Varsha” would also be located close to a large facility of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).

When work on Project Varsha began, the Eastern Naval Command had 15 major warships. Now it has 46, including the nuclear-powered INS Chakra leased from Russia. India’s homebuilt nuclear submarine, the INS Arihant, is also based in Vizag and is scheduled to go into trials early next year.

Three more Arihant-class submarines were being built at the Shipbuilding Centre (SBC) in Vizag’s naval dockyards.

Project Varsha has been designed to contain within it berthing facilities for warships and submarines in a dockyard among hills. The location was chosen because the depth of the water would allow for the vessels to berth easily.

Varsha is easily the largest but by no means the only major naval project on the Bay of Bengal coast. This year, the navy commissioned INS Baaz, a naval air station at the southern tip of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands from where surveillance aircraft can fly over the Straits of Malacca.

The navy is also working on a naval air station in Calcutta that will have a squadron of unmanned aircraft. It is preparing to station its Boeing-made P8i maritime surveillance aircraft at INAS Rajoli in Tamil Nadu’s Arakonnam. The site was chosen because the aircraft could fly from there over both India’s eastern and western seaboards.

The number of warships, submarines and aircraft with the navy under its eastern command is marginally less than that under its western command. So far, the western command was the “sword arm” of the navy because of the threat perception from Pakistan.

The eastern command is now nearly there: it has 46 vessels compared to the west’s 48. The assets in the Bay of Bengal are more “amphibious”, meaning they are capable of operating on sea as well as on land.

Last month, the defence ministry authorised the Vizag-based Hindustan Shipyard to make two special operations vessels, a classified project.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1121205/jsp/nation/story_16276167.jsp#.UL-MzSBYKtQ

I think reports like these should not be allowed in media...but good news nonetheless....Eastern region is as important today as the western coast..Indian navy has a bigger role to play in this region.

LOL where the F is the secrecy part in the article?

And why on earth does this leak to the media ? Idiots :bounce:

It is called a secret base not because no one will know of its location (which is not so difficult since it is build near a BARC facility) but because it gives ample camoflauge against spy satellites, like the Chinese Hainan Submarine Base.
The Chinese too were yelling 'secret base secret base' around the time Hainan Submarine Base was launched.

Besides the news is quite old and neither is it so secretive.

projectvarshasite.jpg

projectvarsha.jpg

ssbn.jpg

The existence of the base is not secret and can't be, but what goes on inside it is.

Its not a secret if you know it :lol:

Check this out..
it is pretty much is all that this base will be..
secret my Activity-based-accounting theory burdened Arse.

Driving Into Soviet Nuclear Submarine Base - Video - Wired

As long as no one knows what IN is up to inside the Varsha, it still is a secret.
And INS Varsha will probably hold more submarines than the Balaklava.

Besides the Balaclava Submarine base was top secret only in the Cold War, it is now called the Naval museum complex Balaklava, and I think I might have seen it in "The Hunt for Red October".

thehuntforredoctoberblu.jpg

0f9d289f7bd8b70edfedbf6.jpg

IN Eastern Naval Command's AOR includes the Bay of Bengal and BD coastline.

As long as no one knows what IN is up to inside the Varsha, it still is a secret.
And INS Varsha will probably hold more submarines than the Balaklava.

Besides the Balaclava Submarine base was top secret only in the Cold War, it is now called the Naval museum complex Balaklava, and I think I might have seen it in "The Hunt for Red October".

Considering the Media leak record of India.. I doubt it will remain secret..

IN Eastern Naval Command's AOR includes the Bay of Bengal and BD coastline.

Primary role of Eastern Naval Command is to safeguard against aggression on the eastern front and provide security to Indian territory, ports, harbours, oil platforms and other maritime assets & resources in India's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Over 200 merchant ships, carrying vital cargo including 10 million barrels of crude oil, transit through the Malacca Straits every day. These vessels depend on the Indian Navy for their safe passage.BD's coast line is not our responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom