What's new

SD-10 vs AIM-120 (Latest versions)

Is SD-10 a Fire and Forget missile?

yes it is.

Fire-and-forget is a third-generation method of missile guidance. The military use the term for a type of missile which does not require further guidance after launch such as illumination of the target or wire guidance (TOW), and can hit its target without the launcher being in line-of-sight of the target.

In a true sense most of the BVRs are not fire and forget, all needed guidance in flight.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is SD-10 a Fire and Forget missile?

Yes it is the following paragraph from wikipedia explains the four engagement modes.

"The PL-12 (SD-10) has four engagement modes. To take the greatest advantage of its maximum range it will use a mix of command guidance (via a datalink) plus its own inertial guidance before entering the active radar terminal guidance phase. The missile can also be launched to a pre-selected point, using its strap-down inertial system, before switching on its own seeker for a terminal search. Over short ranges the missile can be launched in a 'fire-and-forget' mode using its own active seeker from the outset. Finally, the PL-12 has a 'home-on-jam' mode that allows it to passively track and engage an emitting target, without ever using its own active radar or a radar from the launch aircraft. This capability is the foundation on which the capability of anti-radiation missile is developed. The seeker is connected to a digital flight control system that uses signal processing techniques to track a target. The missile's warhead is linked to a laser proximity fuse."

Hope this helps

Unit Cost.
AIM-120
$300-$400,000 for 120C variants,

SD-10
$84,000 USD

SD-10 is cheaper then AIM-120
AMRAAM costs over million:

c8af593c5d19.jpg

Hi,

I believe that Chogy made it very clear in his post what it is all about---over here we put a post on the board---and all the kids dig up the specs from different web-sites----and strut around their posts as they have found their own new god.

Truthfully---there is hardly any comparison between an SD 10 and an AIM 120---.

SD 10 is a first true bvr by the chinese---aim 120 has a pedigree a sheet long---. It is not saying bad about the missile---but seems like it is becoming a habbit of my pak colleagues of MAKING A MONSTER OUT OF A MONKEY.

SD 10 will indeed grow up to become an aim 120 in maybe the next 10 years---but today---it has to endure many a growing pains that only a missile can bear.:cheesy:

I think you are overstating the effectiveness and combat record of AIM-120 in particular, and AMRAAMs in general.

Most Air-to-Air kills to date have been done with short range, heat seekers - 270+ kills by AIM-9 compared to the 9 confirmed kills (as of 2008 - according to Wiki) by AIM-120 (all against outdated Iraqi and Serbian MiGs).

Secondly, PL-12/SD-10 was first produced in 2002 - it is not a new product that has just come off the production lines, and so has already endured most of its growing pains.

In fact I doubt that there is going to be much more work done in improving the PL-12 since the time, research effort and money would be better spent on the rumoured longer range, ramjet powered "PL-13" or an Chinese equivalent of the proposed K-100 Novator.

I think you are overstating the effectiveness and combat record of AIM-120 in particular, and AMRAAMs in general.

Most Air-to-Air kills to date have been done with short range, heat seekers - 270+ kills by AIM-9 compared to the 9 confirmed kills (as of 2008 - according to Wiki) by AIM-120 (all against outdated Iraqi and Serbian MiGs).

wheres gambit?

Yes it is the following paragraph from wikipedia explains the four engagement modes.

"The PL-12 (SD-10) has four engagement modes. To take the greatest advantage of its maximum range it will use a mix of command guidance (via a datalink) plus its own inertial guidance before entering the active radar terminal guidance phase. The missile can also be launched to a pre-selected point, using its strap-down inertial system, before switching on its own seeker for a terminal search. Over short ranges the missile can be launched in a 'fire-and-forget' mode using its own active seeker from the outset. Finally, the PL-12 has a 'home-on-jam' mode that allows it to passively track and engage an emitting target, without ever using its own active radar or a radar from the launch aircraft. This capability is the foundation on which the capability of anti-radiation missile is developed. The seeker is connected to a digital flight control system that uses signal processing techniques to track a target. The missile's warhead is linked to a laser proximity fuse."

Hope this helps

It will work as a fire & forget in short range like R-73 or sidewinder, not as BVR.

Sir,

You make it sound too simple---which makes it sound fake----. Please add some level of difficulty to bring some reality to the issue---add some sweat and blood.:pakistan:

No need to add sweat and blood.

Our armed forces are trained for that.

:cheers:

Hi Mughaljee,

If you are satisfied---YOU ARE DEAD----sir----paf has no other choice---not too many options left.

Not saying that Sd 10 is a bad missile---.

Sir, we have few dozen of first choice AIM-120 out of the deal of 500.
And more coming in few months.

I think 500 AIM-120 is the huge number's of BVR.
And the both AIM-120 (500) and SD-10 (few 100's) are enough to defend the country.
Dont u agree with me??

Back
Top Bottom