What's new

scuba diving in Churna Island

Its a good area to catch some barracuda's on trolling, and on a reel u can catch many varieties icluding cat fish, heera machi, nawaz sharif yes u heard it right nawaz sharif is the name of fish named by the locals because ithe fish has a shade of yellow color. Plus locals have lots of tale about Pak navy submarines and missle testingfrom a ship.They are pretty cheap some fisher man will try to rip u off by askin 8000rs but we have never paid above 2500rs for 12 hours usually its between 1500 to 3000rs

you mean the fish is bald as well :rofl:

Its a good area to catch some barracuda's on trolling, and on a reel u can catch many varieties icluding cat fish, heera machi, nawaz sharif yes u heard it right nawaz sharif is the name of fish named by the locals because ithe fish has a shade of yellow color. Plus locals have lots of tale about Pak navy submarines and missle testingfrom a ship.They are pretty cheap some fisher man will try to rip u off by askin 8000rs but we have never paid above 2500rs for 12 hours usually its between 1500 to 3000rs

thanks jay... i also want to ask to you about the exact time to go there for fishing??, some of my cousins are afraid of still water :lol:... yes i have fear too but from tides not from still water.... i have great passion for fishing, once i went to do darya with all of my cousins and mama, got nothing but we enjoyed mosam...

My photo of the Churna Island when I was taken to a fishing trip around the island in 2011 by some cousins. We took a cab to Mubarak Village and then a boat took us for fishing. We had a blast! We caught dozens of fishes. It was only because I had a dentist appoint in afternoon that we had to leave. Anyway, here is the picture--will share more. Hopefully it will not be 'off topic'.

6778175295_c73b8f006f.jpg

My photo of the Churna Island when I was taken to a fishing trip around the island in 2011 by some cousins. We took a cab to Mubarak Village and then a boat took us for fishing. We had a blast! We caught dozens of fishes. It was only because I had a dentist appoint in afternoon that we had to leave. Anyway, here is the picture--will share more. Hopefully it will not be 'off topic'.

6778175295_c73b8f006f.jpg

no please share more pictures

Okay. Uploading to Flickr right now. They are in my Hotmail account in SkyDrive--and I prefer to keep them in that place because of the seamless integration with my Windows Phone. But Hotmail doesn't allow anonymous sharing?

And so I have to download them to hard drive, then upload to Flickr and then figure out individual .jpg url and then post here.

Is there a better way?!

Okay. Uploading to Flickr right now. They are in my Hotmail account in SkyDrive--and I prefer to keep them in that place because of the seamless integration with my Windows Phone. But Hotmail doesn't allow anonymous sharing?

And so I have to download them to hard drive, then upload to Flickr and then figure out individual .jpg url and then post here.

Is there a better way?!

you can email me :D

:D

Coming up via Flickr---Darn painful way to share! But hang on to your hats...

oh, i just read that you can click on ;get a link' tab on the skydrive and share it?

try it

:D

Coming up via Flickr---Darn painful way to share! But hang on to your hats...

oh, i just read that you can click on ;get a link' tab on the skydrive and share it?

try it

Here are some pics from my late November 2011 trip to Mubarak Village (Karachi) and Churna Island. I am not in any of these pics :)
The day began around 4 AM when my cousin picked me up in his motorcyle to take me to a place where our car and its driver was supposed to meet us. The car never showed up! Too early to call relatives. So we walked to a sleeping cab driver and agreed on a price: Rs. 2500 (approx. $30 then) for the round trip from Paposh (Nazimabad, Karachi) to Mubarak Village. The drive was peaceful and beautiful. They wore sweaters and ski-caps but I didn't and I was fine. Anyway, here are the pictures. Will comment more later...

My first attempt to post so many images here and so may need to 'tweak' after this post.

Around 4 in morning: Someone trying to buy 'Paan' and chewing tobacco in Paposh, Karachi:
9691566483_4d3c8409a3.jpg

A poor boy begging at Mubarak Village. I still feel really bad not given him anything.
9694798944_d7e1f7398e.jpg

Our fishing boat is getting ready. No, this guy is not me.
9694797382_1c2bb4a81b.jpg

Till about lunch we tried the 'trawler' like fishing with the boat running but no luck!
9691561571_765f795637.jpg

Trawler Fishing till around lunch. Obviously no luck.
9694796678_f8a62a4570.jpg

Aaloo Qeema (groundbeef with potato) with Tandoori Naan Served by my cousin. The two other guys are our the 'captain' and his assistant. I loved the food!
9691557991_82f3be6436.jpg

The assistant is displaying one of the catches..these were apparently quite powerful for their size.
9694792068_0f662ec384.jpg

The Captain showing off one the catches..we caught a lot of these striped brown ones.
9694792902_a2b9abc515.jpg

My cousin with the brown striped fish.
9691560481_c145eeed67.jpg

Some more pics..I see the limit is 10 per post.

Another view of the Churna Island:
9694795556_77fc64a55c.jpg

End of the day. Taking the cab back home.
9694798220_94765abcf5.jpg

I think we gave all/most fish to the cab driver for patiently waiting for us in Mubarak Village as we fished.
9691567735_1b8d1a8115.jpg

try it

Already tried that: The hotmail account will be revealed via the link. Anyway, I posted some pics above. Wasn't too bad. Not sure if Flickr would like me extracting the .jpg locations though.

Some observations related to Mubarak Village and Churna Island:
1) The weather was simply perfect! A hint of chill in morning but warm enough--though not hot--by afternoon.
2) The sea was calm and deep blue. We went far enough from the beach so that we couldn't see the beach. I wanted to swim a bit around the Island but was told that there are strong under-currents. Hmmm.
3) Hardly saw other boats except about half a mile from the Island there are several boats fishing--a lot of fish was caught from that place by us and others.
4) The Captain and his assistant were Baloch but proudly displayed the Pakistani flag and were very friendly to us.
5) Mubarak Village is far enough to be a 'get away' from the city of Karachi but near enough to be perfect for a day or weekend trip. If someone opens even a basic motel with showers and indoor plumbing that should be a successful business. I didn't feel threatened while I was there. But anyone making profit from that community must contribute substantially to the local economy!

so here is the link just follow it.

Charna Island - a set on Flickr

W11 i have seen many of your post where you favour MQM, but by no means i support MQM or I am loyal to them. But i have to tell you that MQM had done lot's of work for the people who live there, they have provided Electricity and high quality roads when Mustafa Kamal was the Mayor, i haven't been to Charna island in last two years but my Father usually goes there still the infrastructure is in Perfect conditions, and the baloch there supports MQM too, they have MQM flags in the Area, but i hate MQM when they do Terrorism in Karachi.No offense

Back
Top Bottom