What's new

Scrum in Military Aviation - Building a Jet Fighter Faster, Cheaper, Better with Scrum

Jazzbot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Background:

I am a certified scrum professional and and enterprise agile coach who has helped many organizations on their agile transformation journey. As a agile practitioner, I often come across the question "How can we implement agile in our (non-IT) industry?" So to address this, I am writing a detailed article where I am planning to answer how different (non-IT) industries have implemented Agile and reaped benefits in terms of improved performance, faster delivery and self-organized teams. Those of you who are aware about project management methodologies or project life cycle will know about the waterfall or agile approaches for managing and executing the projects. Agile is a change-driven and adaptive approach while Scrum or Scaled Scrum are some of the most famous Agile frameworks available.

Introduction:

During my research work for the above mentioned article, I was exploring agile implementations in various industries like construction, manufacturing, pharma, defense and so on. And along the way, I came across this gem and thought I would share it here. Who knows it will reach to some high ups in PAC and we could also benefit from it for our JFT or AZM projects. Basically, its a study about how Swedish Saab Aeronautics Company was able to use one of the Agile framework called Scaled Scrum to build and produce their multirole strike fighter JAS Saab Gripen and as a result are able to roll out a jet every three weeks.

Scrum in Military Aviation
Building a Jet Fighter Faster, Cheaper, Better with Scrum

Advanced military systems are some of the most expensive and complex research, design, and manufacturing challenges in the world! The question is: "How do you control the costs while still delivering the highest quality?"

Saab Aeronautics has scaled Scrum to build and produce the new multi-role strike fighter, the JAS 39E Saab Gripen. Saab is able to deliver a new iteration of the jet every three weeks by using the Scrum framework to organize thousands of engineers into hundreds of teams.

Saab Defense has adopted an Agile process in both hardware and software teams to answer this question and produce the new multi-role strike fighter, the JAS 39E Saab Gripen.

Scrum Inc.'s Joe Justice, and Saab’s Jorgen Furuhjelm explain how SAAB is using Scrum and Agile to deliver high quality products at drastically lower cost in the most complex of domains.

Notes:
  1. There are a couple of PDFs that I am attaching for more details about how SAAB is doing this. Please refer to the attached files.
  2. There is a detailed video discussion with Saab's Jorgen Furuhjelm on the same topic but I cannot publish it here due to privacy settings. I highly recommend watching this video at following URL:
    👇

Please share your thoughts. Can this be used in PAC for JFT and AZM (if its not already in place)?

@RescueRanger @Irfan Baloch @Jungibaaz @WebMaster @Horus @HRK @jaibi @Armchair @AgNoStiC MuSliM @I S I @Figaro @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal. @That Guy @-blitzkrieg- @Arsalan @Foxtrot Alpha @Jango @LeGenD @Slav Defence @PakSword @Areesh @BATMAN @TaimiKhan @Zarvan @DESERT FIGHTER @Windjammer @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @fatman17 @WAJsal @Signalian @Mangus Ortus Novem @MastanKhan @The Eagle @Imran Khan @EagleEyes @air marshal @Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Musings @Bilal9 @Verve @farhan_9909 @Rafael @pakman12 @pkuser2k12 @syed1 @_NOBODY_ @PakFactor @Hiraa @Patriot forever @Beast @Evil Flare @Major Sam

Attachments

• Agile in Aviation_Owning-the-Sky-with-Agile.pdf
    115.6 KB · Views: 47
  • JusticeJoe_Agile_In_Military_Hardware_SGSD.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 143
i think our boys are doing well we should stick on our human resources and our Research

clarity and commitment drives performance
but responsibility without authority saps motivation

if leadership is indifferent to its workforce feedback then all these programs and models fall flat on their faces.

an upward honest communication without fear of reprisal ensures that people will gladly take ownership as their voice is being heard.

there must be a threshold to how much time and cost can be saved without burning out your teams while demanding same or more quality and quantity.

work ethic is a key. the western people are hardwired to be punctual amd dedicated Sweden is no exception hence SAAB successfully showcases the application of Agile. it could do the same if it applies Kaizen as well.

clarity and commitment drives performance
but responsibility without authority saps motivation

if leadership is indifferent to its workforce feedback then all these programs and models fall flat on their faces.

an upward honest communication without fear of reprisal ensures that people will gladly take ownership as their voice is being heard.

there must be a threshold to how much time and cost can be saved without burning out your teams while demanding same or more quality and quantity.

work ethic is a key. the western people are hardwired to be punctual amd dedicated Sweden is no exception hence SAAB successfully showcases the application of Agile. it could do the same if it applies Kaizen as well.

Valid points sir, one of the key areas of focus of scrum is self organizing teams where the dev team decides the action items that they are going to pick from sprint backlog and who is going to work on what and when for these action items. This way you can empower the team to decide and plans as per their needs. So its directly opposite to a command and control structure where the resources are burnt.

Nevertheless, I think if Saab can achieve this then we can as well.

Nevertheless, I think if Saab can achieve this then we can as well.

Hi,

Thanks for an excellent post / tag above.

If Paf can copy the gripen--nothing is stopping them to follow the procedure as well.

One thing they need to do is to start at grass root level---. Teach the children---ie the future techs and engineers to speak chinese---what difference that would make when whole of the assembly line worker speaks chinese.

Background:

I am a certified scrum professional and and enterprise agile coach who has helped many organizations on their agile transformation journey. As a agile practitioner, I often come across the question "How can we implement agile in our (non-IT) industry?" So to address this, I am writing a detailed article where I am planning to answer how different (non-IT) industries have implemented Agile and reaped benefits in terms of improved performance, faster delivery and self-organized teams. Those of you who are aware about project management methodologies or project life cycle will know about the waterfall or agile approaches for managing and executing the projects. Agile is a change-driven and adaptive approach while Scrum or Scaled Scrum are some of the most famous Agile frameworks available.

Introduction:

During my research work for the above mentioned article, I was exploring agile implementations in various industries like construction, manufacturing, pharma, defense and so on. And along the way, I came across this gem and thought I would share it here. Who knows it will reach to some high ups in PAC and we could also benefit from it for our JFT or AZM projects. Basically, its a study about how Swedish Saab Aeronautics Company was able to use one of the Agile framework called Scaled Scrum to build and produce their multirole strike fighter JAS Saab Gripen and as a result are able to roll out a jet every three weeks.

Advanced military systems are some of the most expensive and complex research, design, and manufacturing challenges in the world! The question is: "How do you control the costs while still delivering the highest quality?"

Saab Aeronautics has scaled Scrum to build and produce the new multi-role strike fighter, the JAS 39E Saab Gripen. Saab is able to deliver a new iteration of the jet every three weeks by using the Scrum framework to organize thousands of engineers into hundreds of teams.

Saab Defense has adopted an Agile process in both hardware and software teams to answer this question and produce the new multi-role strike fighter, the JAS 39E Saab Gripen.

Scrum Inc.'s Joe Justice, and Saab’s Jorgen Furuhjelm explain how SAAB is using Scrum and Agile to deliver high quality products at drastically lower cost in the most complex of domains.

Notes:
  1. There are a couple of PDFs that I am attaching for more details about how SAAB is doing this. Please refer to the attached files.
  2. There is a detailed video discussion with Saab's Jorgen Furuhjelm on the same topic but I cannot publish it here due to privacy settings. I highly recommend watching this video at following URL:
    👇

Please share your thoughts. Can this be used in PAC for JFT and AZM (if its not already in place)?

@RescueRanger @Irfan Baloch @Jungibaaz @WebMaster @Horus @HRK @jaibi @Armchair @AgNoStiC MuSliM @I S I @Figaro @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal. @That Guy @-blitzkrieg- @Arsalan @Foxtrot Alpha @Jango @LeGenD @Slav Defence @PakSword @Areesh @BATMAN @TaimiKhan @Zarvan @DESERT FIGHTER @Windjammer @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @fatman17 @WAJsal @Signalian @Mangus Ortus Novem @MastanKhan @The Eagle @Imran Khan @EagleEyes @air marshal @Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Musings @Bilal9 @Verve @farhan_9909 @Rafael @pakman12 @pkuser2k12 @syed1 @_NOBODY_ @PakFactor @Hiraa @Patriot forever @Beast @Evil Flare @Major Sam

scrum models work in software domain because cost of software as a product is zero
you can obviously use agile models for software for aerospace domains. i would be careful how and where I apply it. it won't work with some hardware domains because hardware prototypes are expensives

scrum models work in software domain because cost of software as a product is zero
you can obviously use agile models for software for aerospace domains. i would be careful how and where I apply it. it won't work with some hardware domains because hardware prototypes are expensives

1) Humbly disagree on the statement that scrum models work in software domain in the first place. Scrum is being used in several other industries successfully and they are already gaining benefits of implementing scrum. What you have said is a common misunderstanding.

2) Of course, when we talk about agile implementation, we are not saying that everything should be done in an agile way. The idea is to implement agile approaches wherever there is value in doing so. Having said that, it has nothing to do with prototype being expansive or cheap but rather complexity and degree of uncertainty in the development of the product that demands agile / scrum implementation. Again this is a detailed discussion.

1) Humbly disagree on the statement that scrum models work in software domain in the first place. Scrum is being used in several other industries successfully and they are already gaining benefits of implementing scrum. What you have said is a common misunderstanding.

2) Of course, when we talk about agile implementation, we are not saying that everything should be done in an agile way. The idea is to implement agile approaches wherever there is value in doing so. Having said that, it has nothing to do with prototype being expansive or cheap but rather complexity and degree of uncertainty in the development of the product that demands agile / scrum implementation. Again this is a detailed discussion.

Thanks for the comments.

I should define what scrum model is. For all the software folks it is iterative development for all practical purposes. For software it works fine.

I agree with point 2. Some domains involve expensive prototypes. You cannot apply agile models towards prototype development. To put things in perspective I have worked with million dollar prototypes.

Background:

Introduction:

Notes:
    👇

Scrum or agile processes were designed for manufacturing as well, not just IT.

I know folks who work in aerospace firms in this town (folks with PMP certs), such as Boeing and Lockheed Martin, they all use scrum and agile.

I am no project manager though - could not share more details....Google it maybe...

Background:

Introduction:

Notes:
    👇

Actually, Scrum and Continous Integration allows you to roll out a new S/W version several times per day.
Each version has run through a basic testsuite.
”Releases” often involve a significant test effort, and is probably not done at the end of every sprint.
A key feature of the Gripen E is the App based Software Architecture where a lot of the functionality is available in Apps, similar to iPhone Apps.
Each pilot can have his own set of Apps, defining the user interface. Apps can be upgraded between flights.
Since they do not affect the flight operations, new app versions can be tested without a full retest of everything.

The point that is unclear to me is (and I have not yet gone through the links and attachments) is, compared to a software product where the whole product is changed in each iteration. How does one ensure that each iteration is implemented in the previous batches, and if not, how is the product compatibility and common maintenance ensured. Unless of course, the application of the process is only up to the final prototype stage.

Background:

Introduction:

Notes:
    👇

NO THANK YOU!!!!

I was in this quasi nonsensical scrum approach. For R&D, there are knowns and unknows. Critical path will remain no matter what you do. It fails on falt on its face as there are engineering tests and standards which have to pass.

This is not a small shop IT project where bugs are tolerated. This is engineering areana. There are many difficult areas; design, validation, integration, regression testing, stress testing, materials, etc etc... the list is endless; no one of this works when you use scrum.

My 2cents having been there and done it.

The point that is unclear to me is (and I have not yet gone through the links and attachments) is, compared to a software product where the whole product is changed in each iteration. How does one ensure that each iteration is implemented in the previous batches, and if not, how is the product compatibility and common maintenance ensured. Unless of course, the application of the process is only up to the final prototype stage.

Before agile how were things done ? you sat down with all the stakeholders and derived the requirements, figured out an implementation plan/schedule, implemented things. the problem with the approach is that requirements keep changing all the time.

you have to ask yourself if what you are doing lends itself to an iterative approach

Background:

Introduction:

Notes:
    👇

Six Sigma black belt will make a lot of sense for process optimization, cost control ??

First let me congratulate the OP for having a thinking mind, which is rare.

The problem is that Agile has not really been applied in the Finance industry because it is less intensive in insuring there is no failure.

Secondly, by using Agile, you would open up rabbit holes of parallel developments. This was attempted by the F35 program and was a reason for an endless number of damming screwups.

One problem r&d in fighter development is that different global programs have often missed out the level of documentation by the stage of the program.

Of was found that unnecessary levels of documentation was being called for during r&d that completely screwed up development. This is why Skunkworks was created and was successful.

Skunk Works was the Agile development method of the fighter world. Completely minimize and even eliminate need for documentation and red tape during R&d. Minimize staff to below bare minimum.
Once the aircraft was developed and prototyped, then hand over to the production team, who cab then do all the insane documentation and essentially turn it into RUP.

This transfer of methodologies has been the success story at LM. The moment they tried to mix r&d and production stages and created Agile like concurrent development, they ended up destroying that success and creating one of the greatest failures in aerospace r&d

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom