What's new

Saudi man ordered to leave Canada after choking, threatening daughter

I am not brainwashed by any media, anti muslim or otherwise. I am basing my judgement on his action, not on religious bias like you.

Legality of marriage does not depend on consent of parents.

Yes you are, you're implying muslims kill their children over relationships, that's far from true. I'm talking about religious legality.

Yes you are, you're implying muslims kill their children over relationships, that's far from true. I'm talking about religious legality.

He tried to kill his daughter. Had it not been Canada where she could seek help from authorities, he may have succeeded.

Even religious legality does not depend on Parent's consent.

He tried to kill his daughter. Had it not been Canada where she could seek help from authorities, he may have succeeded.

We don't know yet if he intended to do so, what he did was wrong either way. I'm not sure you understand religious marriage.

It depends on what kind of a father he is. Maybe he is ultra-conservative, but I don't think he is, given the fact that he was okay with having his daughter studying abroad.
So that he could have shipped her back to Saudi Arabia in a crate!

BTW

How is an arranged marriage morally superior to non-arranged one?

Nothing related to his " moral " as far as religion is concerned, many people here arrange their own marriages by themselves. Here is a Saudi guy, asked to marry a colleague at work:

watch.php

He won't get away with killing or assaulting his daughter, even in KSA, if that's what you're suggesting.

Islam never mentioned a thing about a parent's consent in marriage, these are cultural values, subjected to difference per mindset.

My father didn't ask his family to marry Mom, and neither Mom did :D

It depends on what kind of a father he is. Maybe he is ultra-conservative, but I don't think he is, given the fact that he was okay with having his daughter studying abroad.

Nothing related to his " moral " as far as religion is concerned, many people here arrange their own marriages by themselves. Here is a Saudi guy, asked to marry a colleague at work:

watch.php

He won't get away with killing or assaulting his daughter, even in KSA, if that's what you're suggesting.

Islam never mentioned a thing about a parent's consent in marriage, these are cultural values, subjected to difference per mindset.

My father didn't ask his family to marry Mom, and neither Mom did :D

He accompanied her daughter to her college, in Canada ( a different continent ). That is super creepy for a parent.:whistle:

Even in India, some parents do this but their wards are butt of jokes among their fellow students.

I was commenting about the obvious stupidity of asking a homicidal parent's permission for marrying outside your ethnic group which @Hazzy997 thought would be a zupper idea.

@Anonymous , by arranged I don't mean the parents choose their partners. Marriage doesn't happen like that with Muslims, the people who like each other and know each other that want to get married bring it up to their parents so their family could ask for her hand. So if you have a crush on someone and that someone also has a crush on you usually the parents and family friends notice and get them married because that's what they want. For it to officially happen they just need to ask for hand and that's how most marriages are, then documents make it official.

Given the nature of the situation, I don't think he was accompanying his daughter, otherwise he would have heard a word here or there.

Normally, Saudi female students studying abroad can't take it going on their own that many parents accompany their daughters and sometimes the same is applied with male students :lol:

I'm well aware of the marriage culture in India, parents are too protective that even westerners can't understand it, but I do understand that very well.

He accompanied her daughter to her college, in Canada ( a different continent ). That is super creepy for a parent.:whistle:

Even in India, some parents do this but their wards are butt of jokes among their fellow students.

I was commenting about the obvious stupidity of asking a homicidal parent's permission for marrying outside your ethnic group which @Hazzy997 thought would be a zupper idea.

His point was awkward that even someone like me would raise my eyebrows!

@anonymus

I have been a friend with an Indian man living in Huston Texas. He has a daughter who happens to be a US national as she was born in the US. Anyway, when she graduated from Austin University, she went to work in Lockheed Martin. She met another Indian guy she liked. He wanted to marry the girl but his parents refused on the ground that she isn't an Indian. Similarly, my friend's daughter was under pressure by her family to give the guy up, never see him again. Her father, sent her to India to meet a bunch of Indian men whom their fathers happen to be friends of her father. She found a good dude among these folks, she married him and move back to the US, and lived happily ever since :lol:

The bottom line of the story is that Indian parents appear to be taking these issues very serious, but maybe less than the Arabs.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of the marriage culture in India, parents are too protective that even westerners can't understand it, but I do understand that very well.

I wasn't talking about marriage. I was talking about the specific behaviour of accompanying your child to their colleges obstinately in order to keep a watch on them.He was never a trusting parent to begin with so his daughter marrying without his approval was a self fulfilling prophecy.I gave example of India as a contrast. India has a problem of chronic parental overindulgence but co-residing with your children is college is extreme even by their standard.

Maternal overindulgence in case of boys and fraternal in case of girls is toxic for personality development of child. It turns boys into sissies and girls into shallow trollop.It is no surprise that all great personalities in history whether in Science, Art, Religion or war had abnormal childhoods where they were not excessively pampered.

His point was awkward that even someone like me would raise my eyebrows!

@Hazzy997 was spouting ridiculous counterfactuals out of his biases. I have seen so many borderline failed arranged marriages in my short lifetime that i have lost all confidence in institution of arranged marriages.

In arranged marriages, divorce rate are low but that is because people carry even dead marriages when they should have divorced long ago because of societal pressure.

@anonymus

I have been a friend with an Indian man living in Huston Texas. He has a daughter who happens to be a US national as she was born in the US. Anyway, when she graduated from Austin University, she went to work in Lockheed Martin. She met another Indian guy she liked. He wanted to marry the girl but his parents refused on the ground that she isn't an Indian. Similarly, my friend's daughter was under pressure by her family to give the guy up, never see him again. Her father, sent her to India to meet a bunch of Indian men whom their fathers happen to be friends of her father. She found a good dude among these folks, she married him and move back to the US, and lived happily ever since :lol:

The bottom line of the story is that Indian parents appear to be taking these issues very serious, but maybe less than the Arabs.

That is a ridiculous reason to refuse a matrimonial. I think it was due to some other reason like caste or something like that and your friend's daughter's paramour don't want to appear as racist.

BTW,

He was from which state of India. By sound of it he seem to be from Banglore area.

choosing some outsider over your own mother and father. what a bitch move.

I wasn't talking about marriage. I was talking about the specific behaviour of accompanying your child to their colleges obstinately in order to keep a watch on them.He was never a trusting parent to begin with so his daughter marrying without his approval was a self fulfilling prophecy.I gave example of India as a contrast. India has a problem of chronic parental overindulgence but co-residing with your children is college is extreme even by their standard.

True, the Arabs, generally speaking, are way too protective than the Indian parents. The thing is that though with the Saudis, that even when a daughter wants to study abroad, she often refuses to go their - at least most of the time - on her own. I knew many people who had to relocate because of this. By the same token, same parents insist to accompany their children as many of them believe that their kids can't live on their own, which is utterly inaccurate.

Maternal overindulgence in case of boys and fraternal in case of girls is toxic for personality development of child. It turns boys into sissies and girls into shallow trollop.It is no surprise that all great personalities in history whether in Science, Art, Religion or war had abnormal childhoods where they were not excessively pampered.

Not just from a paternal perspective, but some kids are overbearing by nature that they can't handle themselves on their own. I lived by myself for years, and I had seen a lot of this :) ..

that is a ridiculous reason to refuse a matrimonial. I think it was due to some other reason like caste or something like that and your friend's daughter's paramour don't want to appear as racist.

BTW,

He was from which state of India. By sound of it he seem to be from Banglore area

Yes, you thought right. He is Bangalorean, but not conservative.

I don't think his decision of refusal was racially motivated. He was one of the greatest people I ever met in my life, but I believe that he is too protective to such an extent that he doesn't want his daughter to carry a decision on her own. Similarly, the boy's family - she met while she was working at Lockheed, did pressure their kid to give her up, we can't blame the man for all of this solely.

I agree, arranged marriages are extremely ridiculous. I did see lots of failed arranged marriages as well, and It gave me nothing but an utter disappointment.

@Hazzy997 was spouting ridiculous counterfactuals out of his biases. I have seen so many borderline failed arranged marriages in my short lifetime that i have lost all confidence in institution of arranged marriages.

In arranged marriages, divorce rate are low but that is because people carry even dead marriages when they should have divorced long ago because of societal pressure.

That is a ridiculous reason to refuse a matrimonial. I think it was due to some other reason like caste or something like that and your friend's daughter's paramour don't want to appear as racist.

BTW,

He was from which state of India. By sound of it he seem to be from Banglore area.

Last edited:
Marriage is strictly a personal matter. Unless there is some obvious reason as alcohol/drug addiction, violence etc. I see no reason to oppose anyone. It's very inhumane to force anyone on this subject. Especially in a Western country where it is practical to live withot parents' wealth, I don't understand why that couple gave up their relationship in @Yzd Khalifa's story.

I don't know how people can remain so backward in such modern countries. I guess it's hard to shed the old customs and mentality but it seems that some groups assimilate better than others.

Marriage is strictly a personal matter. Unless there is some obvious reason as alcohol/drug addiction, violence etc. I see no reason to oppose anyone. It's very inhumane to force anyone on this subject. Especially in a Western country where it is practical to live withot parents' wealth, I don't understand why that couple gave up their relationship in @Yzd Khalifa's story.

We aren't talking about Westerners in here. The story was about an Indian family, and @anonymus responded to the story.

Cultural differences are viewed controversially by one community where such values have no meaning.

We aren't talking about Westerners in here. The story was about an Indian family, and @anonymus responded to the story.

Cultural differences are viewed controversially by one community where such values have no meaning.
What I said was even if they haven't had parents' permission, it is possible to live on their own in a country like USA.

By the way it seems Sri Lankan society is highly evolved wen it comes to these type of issues.

I don't know how people can remain so backward in such modern countries. I guess it's hard to shed the old customs and mentality but it seems that some groups assimilate better than others.

The Islamic system of arranged marriage is actually beautiful. Arrange does not mean forced. If its forced then its not Islamic.

Back
Top Bottom